What is the 'Grill' Worth?

kalypso333

Is an upgrade from A1 to a 'P' grade worth $1000 per person? I love the idea flowers, robe, linens, flowers, champagne, and the suite. Is the likelihood of a table for 2 in the Princess Grill higher than the Brittania? I should add this is a TA.

Thanks for the help.

Is an upgrade from A1 to a 'P' grade worth $1000 per person?

You know that there is no "one size fits all" correct answer to that question. But many Cunard threads have opinions for you to consider; most recently http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=551670

Is the likelihood of a table for 2 in the Princess Grill higher than the Brittania?

Good question. Don't have an answer, but my guess is yes.

Paul

You can buy the robes, send yourself the flowers (order from Cunard on board or before boarding) order yourself a cheap bottle of champagne (on arrival or before boarding) or bring it on yourself as a Bon Voyage gift to yourself (even cheaper) for a damn site cheaper than a thou. The remaining question? there are probably (I have not counted) a lot more two person tables in Britannia than in Princess, though I have not counted. It is my GUESS that more people prefer large tables (as part of the experience) than small, but, again, that is just my guess, based on experience, and talking to a lot of people.

So really, you are talking about the size and amenities of the cabin, more than anything else. That's a personal value judgment. Some folks are claustrophobic or bring a lot of stuff and plan to spend lots of time in their cabin, or entertain there. Some just want a place to sleep and take a bath. For myself, for six days? It would not be worth a thousand extra. If money was no object, sure I'd like to have more room! We always bring lots of stuff, and do tend to spend lots of time in the cabin. But that's just my opinion.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!

Karie,

who would ALMOST be willing to settle for sleeping in the cargo hold right now!

P.S. there are also other considerations: The single seating dining, which some feel is a must, and others don't care about, dining in P grill, which some consider a plus, and on the QM2, some actually consider a minus, due to the splendor and grandeur of the Britannia) there is also the embarkation/disembarkation experience to consider. Just to make your decision that much more difficult! <G>

There are probably (I have not counted) a lot more two person tables in Britannia than in Princess, though I have not counted. It is my GUESS that more people prefer large tables (as part of the experience) than small, but, again, that is just my guess, based on experience, and talking to a lot of people.

Karie - I wouldn't doubt that the Britannia has a lot more table for two than any of the grills - however what is important is the proportion of tables for two when you take all the tables into account. I know that the Princess Grill on QE2 is almost entirely (like you I haven't counted so I don't know an exact number;) ) tables for two or four. There are only two tables that will seat up to eight.

Who would ALMOST be willing to settle for sleeping in the cargo hold right now!

I didn't know that was an option. Where do I sign up:D

I had the same offer Kallipso and chose not to take it. I think the experience of Brittania on this end of May cruise will be quite exciting. Perhaps if I were dating or had sailed on QM2 many times before, I would consider it, but travelling with a group of friends made me decide to stay where I was , A2.

On another cruise however, on QM2 and not the May 29th sailing, I would seriously consider it. But then again, I probably wouldn't get the same offer. TA here as well.

A $1,000.oo surcharge for Princess may or may not be a good deal. I would pass if the cruise is for four nights, but for a week, in my opinion, it might be worth it. It depends on what your original fare was.

Well, don't expect a large floral arrangement in Princess Grill. The big flowers don't come until your breathing the rarified air of Queens Grill. On both the QE2 and QM2 this year there was the single orchid, like what is placed on your dining table, in our room. Pol Acker is the sparkling wine provided in a Princess Grill room. You would have a better chance at receiving a two top table in the Grill though. Both trips this year we were originally placed at two tops inspite of the fact that when the reservations were made I asked for larger table.

Archived