Retractable Roofs

Travel3

We are going on the Coral Princess and were wondering if the ships ever open the retractable roofs? We were on the Star Princess last year in scortching hot weather and they never once opened it. Just curious.

They have great difficulty maintaining the mechanical gear that opens the magradomes, and often take the easy way out - leaving them closed.
Sounds about right. I've never seen the retractable roof opened. Besides, a lot of people like having a place with a roof where they won't get sun. I'm surprised more ships don't have them since most people are so conscious these days about skin cancer.

We are going on the Coral Princess and were wondering if the ships ever open the retractable roofs? We were on the Star Princess last year in scortching hot weather and they never once opened it. Just curious.

we were on the star twice this year - during some of the really nice days and nights it was open - one evening right before we went through a rain storm they closed it....

I don't think there is a method to their madness.

The retractable ceiling/roof was open nearly everyday when we were in warm weather on my recent cruise on the Golden Princess sailing down to Mexico from San Francisco. It would be closed at night or on cooler days. But, otherwise, it was open.

I'm almost wondering if that hot sun can penetrate through the glass. Anyone know?

Besides, a lot of people like having a place with a roof where they won't get sun. I'm surprised more ships don't have them since most people are so conscious these days about skin cancer.

Quote:

"I'm almost wondering if that hot sun can penetrate through the glass. Anyone know?"

The silly answer would be yes the sun can penetrate throught the glass, otherwise it would be dark.

The serious answer is it doesn't matter how hot the sun is on an open deck as compared to the covered pool, in regards to suntans/burns/skin cancer. It depends on if the glass covering the pool filters out the UV in sunlight. If the glass filters the UV you have much chance of a suntan/burn etc.

Archived