RCI vs. Celebrity

I have reserved our family of 4 (including two teens) on the Voyager of the Seas Western Mediterranean 7 night cruise in August. Problem is that we have only cruised once before, and it was on Celebrity in a suite (7 night Alaska cruise on the Mercury). We do have an owner's suite on the Voyager, but I'm wondering if we were spoiled on Celebrity with the combination of really good service (butler and all that), and a much smaller number of guests on board. Will we be disappointed by RCI? Of course the kids love the look of the Voyager with all its cool activities. We have until June 4th to cancel this cruise. Any comments are MOST welcome - thanks!!

I have reserved our family of 4 (including two teens) on the Voyager of the Seas Western Mediterranean 7 night cruise in August. Problem is that we have only cruised once before, and it was on Celebrity in a suite (7 night Alaska cruise on the Mercury). We do have an owner's suite on the Voyager, but I'm wondering if we were spoiled on Celebrity with the combination of really good service (butler and all that), and a much smaller number of guests on board. Will we be disappointed by RCI? Of course the kids love the look of the Voyager with all its cool activities. We have until June 4th to cancel this cruise. Any comments are MOST welcome - thanks!!

The cruise experience on the two lines is certainly different but I doubt you'll be disappointed on the Voyager. Although Celebrity may have the edge in food and service Royal has the clear edge in activities and excitement. Plus in a suite you'll have access to the concierge lounge which is a wonderful perk. I'd stick with Royal.

I think your teens will LOVE Voyager! The service on RCI is outstanding, IMO. The food--well, it's not 4 or 5 star, but it's ok. (Used to be really great!) You won't starve, that's for sure. An OS is nice--I would have booked 2 rooms, tho, especially with older kids. Perhaps a JS for parents and an inside nearby for the kids--2 baths is a plus, and so would be the privacy!!

We also had a RS on the Mercury for our Alaska cruise -- so I know what you mean about feeling spoiled! A good butler (which ours was) can add immeasurably to your overall experience.

That being said, I agree that you are not likely to be disappointed -- especially with teenagers. The OS are lovely, and having access to the concierge can help make up for the lack of a butler. :) And truthfully, I like the look of the Voyager-class ships better than the Mercury. She was a lovely vessel, don't get me wrong, but everything felt a bit dark and closed in compared to the soaring atriums and bright open spaces of RCI ships. Plus, we have always had exceptional service on RCI. With the obvious exception of having no butler, I really can't say that we noticed a difference in the level of service.

Yes, dining room cuisine was better on the Mercury, but RCI is perfectly acceptable too (IMHO). We also like the buffet and casual eateries waaaaaaaaaay more on RCI. Plus, the Voyager will have at least one (possibly two, I'm not sure) specialty restaurant if you decide you want to take the cuisine up a notch.

All in all, I'm betting that you won't regret your choice. :)

Cruised a lot on Celebrity - much prefer RCCL now because of the entertainment. And the Concierge Lounge is a very nice amenity. The rest is pretty much the same. OK, I know I know - no waiter with champagne to greet you upon your arrival, or cold towels at ports on RCCL!! But these I can live without quite happily!! We had excellent service in the Voyager Windjammer - always a server offering to get us coffee etc. And if you want someone to carry your tray you have only to ask!!

If you have youngsters with you, they will LOVE the Voyager - much more for them to do - including iceskating of course.

Archived