Whales in September

chesterbum

I'm asking this question for a friend who does not have a computer.

She is sailing on the Celebrity from S.F on the 12th and wants to see lots of whales. I told her that she should book with Captain Larry (from all I see posted about him and the likihood of seeing whales) and her question is: at this time of the year are the whales plentiful in Alaska, and will she be seeing a lot from the ship. What do you think about my suggestion of booking with Captain Larry? Thanks for your input.

As for seeing whales, it is never guaranteed. As someone on this board said, "It's not a zoo, it is wildlife. You see them when they want to be seen." :)

I have not been to Alaska yet, but am going in the next 3 weeks. :D Through this board I have booked Capt. Larry. After speaking with them, Orca Enterprises, they assure me that the whales are around to be seen during the entire cruise ship season. Some people with more trips to Alaska may be able to tell you whether June, July, August, or Sept is better, but I am assured that they are present during all cruises to Alaska.

Hope this helps!

I would also recommend a seperate whale watch excursion. We went in July and while we did see a few whales from the cruise ship they were at a distance. On our whale watch not only were we much closer but we could also hear them. You should hear the sound they make when they blow air through their blow-hole. Also, on our excursion (just booked thru Princess) they dropped a microphone so we could hear them "sing". Beautiful.

You can still see whales, according to the Coral Princess's naturalist and also Captain Larry (Orca Enterprises). Not all of them migrate to Hawaii; those who are not of breeding age stay in ice-free waters, according to these experienced observers.

We saw the backs of surfacing whales and some flukes (tails) from our balcony on the Coral. It's wonderful to sit with binoculars at the ready, waiting for a behemoth to surface. We were talking to our next door neighbors on our balconies when my husband called out, "Whale!" We raised our binoculars to check the shoreline, but he said, "No! Look down!" A humpback had surfaced directly below our Baja deck balcony, not 20 feet from the ship. It poofed some air and slowly swam below. What a thrill!

Some friends were out later in the day than we were for their whale-watching cruise, and were extremely fortunate to see a whale breeching. They were told this is rare (off Juneau) at that time of year (mid-July). Their captain had seen only one other breeching in two years.

I think BudnBailey's point about it not being a zoo is so true! Alaska is also not a theme park; it's best to remember that no trip is perfect. Relax and enjoy the huge beauty of that great state!

For any significant whale viewing a TOUR is necessary with going out of Juneau having 100% sightings for humpbacks. Viewing from the cruise ship- of which I ALWAYS do- requires a good deal of time invested at the front of the ship with a good pair of wide angle binoculars. Coming in/out of Juneau a few hours on each end has a good chance of sightings. The "season" is through the cruise season.

"Some friends were out later in the day than we were for their whale-watching cruise, and were extremely fortunate to see a whale breeching. They were told this is rare (off Juneau) at that time of year (mid-July). Their captain had seen only one other breeching in two years"??????

I don't know where this is from but if in the right place breeching is not all that uncommon and certainly not dependent on time of month??? I go on 3-4 day research trips where I am out the entire day and always see breeching. It happens in an instant, but thrilling none the less. :)

Archived