Confused on what to do about PRICE REDUCTION?

We booked through a TA and paid less than the price showing at RCCL at the time of booking. So, we saved about $300.

Now,The price has gone done by another $400 since then.

IF I ask my TA for a price reduction, I am wondering if this cuts into their comisssion? AND

Because they already lowered their price to start with, they would be less willing to go much lower? make sense?

Anybody have any advice?

You are entitled to any and all reductions offered by the cruise line. To answer your question, yes, it will effect his/her commission but she should be willing to call RCCL for you and get the reduction.

it depends on what is causing the price reduction ... if it's a resident or sr citizen rate then the TA should be able to get the cruise line to adjust the booking ... if it's a Happy Hour fare sale, no luck ... it will require cancelling the existing booking (which sounds like it is part of group space) and rebook; and if you are already in the cancellation period then cancellation penalties will apply.

Try not to worry about the TA's commission. They are accustomed to that and would prefer to have a happy traveler that will come back and do business with them again and again. Take advantage of any price drop that you can because you'll be spending loads of money while cruising.

......Because they already lowered their price to start with, they would be less willing to go much lower? make sense?

Anybody have any advice?

The TA was not allowed to lower their price, so the only thing I can think is that this was a group price. RCI does not allow TAs to lower their prices to you, so hopefully thats not what happened.

Its a good idea to discuss what the TA would do if the price goes lower before you book for this very reason.

The TA was not allowed to lower their price, so the only thing I can think is that this was a group price. RCI does not allow TAs to lower their prices to you, so hopefully thats not what happened.

I have heard this time and time again, and it makes me wonder why I can get so many different price quotes for the same cruise/same catagory....Hmmmm.

thanks!

I have heard this time and time again, and it makes me wonder why I can get so many different price quotes for the same cruise/same catagory....Hmmmm.

thanks!

sometimes, the quotes don't include port charges, or taxes, or both, which account for the differences.

We booked through a TA and paid less than the price showing at RCCL at the time of booking. So, we saved about $300.

Now,The price has gone done by another $400 since then.

IF I ask my TA for a price reduction, I am wondering if this cuts into their comisssion? AND

Because they already lowered their price to start with, they would be less willing to go much lower? make sense?

Anybody have any advice?

You should get price reduction....I quit using a travel agent because it's high on the hassle factor to have to go through a third party to get price reductions and make any changes on a booking.

We've gotten 3 price drops off our cruise that leaves Sat. I got the last one last week when I noticed a military discount. Before that I got a resident discount. We've saved $1200 off our original price. Each time I found a drop I called my TA who called RCI and they credited my credit card. I was told we we're booked as a group so I don't see how that matters as far as price drops. You need to check every few days and see if the price drops again, its worth it.

I was told we we're booked as a group so I don't see how that matters as far as price drops. You need to check every few days and see if the price drops again, its worth it.

It matters if the new pricing specifically states "for new INDIVIDUAL bookings only" like the Happy Hour sales.

....I quit using a travel agent because it's high on the hassle factor to have to go through a third party to get price reductions and make any changes on a booking.

I don't know who you used for a TA, but it shouldn't be a hassle to get through to them ... if it is, try a different TA.

Don't sell short the value of working with a TA ... you just need one that works for you ... 99% of cruisers don't stay on top of their bookings doggedly to check for possible cruise fare reductions ... and not all reductions are widely publicized. On the other hand, that's a TA's job. Case in point: I just rebooked 6 rooms yesterday on an upcoming Alaska cruise with RCCL using the Happy Hour rates - and my clients weren't even aware they might be able to get the lower rate. I saved them anywhere from $60 (and upgraded them from inside to balcony) to $2450 (balcony to balcony) ... and that's after the $250 per person penalties were assessed by RCCL.

... 99% of cruisers don't stay on top of their bookings doggedly to check for possible cruise fare reductions ...

I would argue that 99% of travel agents don't stay on top of fare reductions and will only offer them when a client brings it to their attention.

I would argue that 99% of travel agents don't stay on top of fare reductions and will only offer them when a client brings it to their attention.

I won't claim to know every TA, but of those that I do know personally the majority are very diligent about checking faxes and emails from suppliers and matching them up to their clients' bookings.

You really do need to interview TAs like you would a CPA or attorney, and find the one that is a good match for you. And there's nothing wrong with asking what their policy is about looking for rate reductions, and how often they check for them, or if they expect you to do the footwork and bring the rate reduction to them. Also ask what other services they provide.

Archived