What do you really like about Holland America

jazzsea

The traditional and elegant ships, the accomodations, the gracious service, and, (flame retardant suit zipped up) the fact that on HAL we have not had issues with out of control kids. We prefer to sail with as few children as possible.

The crew, the food, the crew, the decor, the crew, the food, the crew, the beds, the crew, the suite life (especially the Neptune), and, oh yeah, did I mention, the crew? ;)

- Steve

The crew and the elegant, classy ships. Everything all together is wonderful, but the crew has always been fabulous. I second what Doone said.. the crew always treats us as if we are guests not passengers. We tried Celebrity, and decided that we would never go on anything other than HAL again.

=]

Elizabeth

Fresh flower arrangements, brass and wood looking like a sailing vessel, teak promenade deck all the way around the ship (HAL is the only mainstream line that still does), wood deck chairs with wool blankets, deck boys walking about to make sure you had a wool blanket and anything else you needed while on deck, chimes sounding to announce dinner, free split pea soup or hot chocolate on Glacier viewing day, overall ambiance of an ocean line of old (of which HAL started out as) and the staff makes you feel at home taking a voyage, not just a vacation cruise.

I sailed HAL "old" Noordam to the Inside Passage in May '99 and we loved the small ship. I just hope I won't be disappointed with the larger Vista Class on my upcoming Cruisetour in Aug '07.

Fresh flower arrangements, brass and wood looking like a sailing vessel, teak promenade deck all the way around the ship (HAL is the only mainstream line that still does), wood deck chairs with wool blankets, deck boys walking about to make sure you had a wool blanket and anything else you needed while on deck, chimes sounding to announce dinner, free split pea soup or hot chocolate on Glacier viewing day, overall ambiance of an ocean line of old (of which HAL started out as) and the staff makes you feel at home taking a voyage, not just a vacation cruise.

I sailed HAL "old" Noordam to the Inside Passage in May '99 and we loved the small ship. I just hope I won't be disappointed with the larger Vista Class on my upcoming Cruisetour in Aug '07.

I second everything you said agabbymama! Although we have never sailed any other cruise line (don't fix it if it isn't broke), we have found in HAL something that we want to do as long as we're able.

We feel like the dining room and cabin stewards truly enjoy serving us. They want to get to know us as a welcome guest in their "home" for a while.

We have had the pleasure of having the same cabin steward on 2 different ships, and he remembered our first names and the fact that my wife would like some of the wonderful Dutch soap to take home with her.

All of the little "touches" that HAL does that make you miss them as soon as you walk of the ship, and make you start planning your next cruise as soon as you get home.

Great suites and balcony - now, if they would just add butler service.........

We always booked suites on X primarily because of the butler service, but I have to tell you, as wonderful as it was, I think I like the Neptune with it's snacks and cappucino and the wonderful concierge service even better.

- Steve

Definitely the Indonesian and Filipino staff. They work so hard to make your cruise perfect. It is amazing how they remember you from cruise to cruise or ship to ship. A few times we have not recognized the person at first but they have come up and told us what cruise we were on and sometimes what table we were at in the dining room. AMAZING!!!

Secondly, we love the bed and beddings. Really comfortable!

The beds! The best beds on the sea.:D

Also, the decor - classy and not trashy. The appeal to tradional ocean liner and cruise enthusiasts. Nothing in your face but everything available if you want it. Good service. Variety of iteniaries.

David

I can probably only just echo other posters, but I will try. I love all those things that have been mentioned, like the friendly crew, the art, the woods, the brass, the flowers, etc. I sum those up as the "refined pampering" that HAL offers. I have only NCL, Costa and Cunard to compare, but I will take HAL's experience of ships and crews over those lines, even the refined elegance of Cunard, which I loved. But HAL just seems more personal and friendly.

But I also love the feeling that on HAL, I am among sailors, people who have by choice spent a good part of their lives at sea. Other cruise lines have such, but they seem to be many more of them on HAL. I love to speak of the sea with them, and know what they are saying, and that they know what I am saying. We are of the same fraternity (O.K, even if they are female -- English is not a logical language), and that fact is among the many intangibles that make HAL special to me.

Dave

HAL was one of the first cruises we ever took. DH and I were absolutely amazed at how the bartenders remembered our names and favorite drinks. We've been on other cruises since then (X, Norwegian, Disney) and have never run into that again. Some 15 years later, we're finally getting back to HAL for our 2nd time. Leaving on Amsterdam for Alaska in 11 days!

Eve

I know everyone has said it but it bears repeating, the crew on HAL is amazing. How they can appear so concerned about you and make you feel like you are the only one they are concerned about week after week to a whole new set of people is amazing.

I also love the ability to walk all the way around on the promenade. And those chimes for dinner.

Archived