Smoking - Please.......

Matlily

How long has it been Chris?

46 days, 11 hours, 54 minutes and 42 seconds :D The difference between quitting this time and the other times is that I really haven't thought about smoking... the other times it was more difficult, and while I may have quit for years at a time, it was different... Chantix just does something spooky with your brain, and you don't think about it... fingers crossed this time it takes for good!!!!

Never heard of Chantix, good to know. Congrats on quitting.

I just finished Anatomy and Physiology class yesterday. I wrote my final thesis on Chantix. It seems to have a very high success rate. My ex-husband has been smoke free since Feburary due to Chantix. I'm going to be trying it as soon as my last carton of smokes is gone.

Chantix blocks the activation of the naturally occurring nicotine receptors in the brain. When activated (by smoking usually), the nicotinic receptors then trigger the release of Dopamine, which gives smokers that calm, euphoric feeling. If the nicotinic receptors are blocked, the brain activates Dopamine from different receptor sites and sources. This helps the smoker stop thinking about the relaxing effects of their smoking, making quitting a lot easier. Sorry about the technical soapbox lecture, but I thought it was really cool how Chantix works! :)

Everyone has those nicotinic receptors in their brain...even non smokers! :)

Big congrats to those who have quit. That is so fantastic. Keep up the good work! I hope to join you soon!

Smoking a hot dog.....not even GOING there..... :D LMAO

I just finished Anatomy and Physiology class yesterday. I wrote my final thesis on Chantix. It seems to have a very high success rate. My ex-husband has been smoke free since Feburary due to Chantix. I'm going to be trying it as soon as my last carton of smokes is gone.

Chantix blocks the activation of the naturally occurring nicotine receptors in the brain. When activated (by smoking usually), the nicotinic receptors then trigger the release of Dopamine, which gives smokers that calm, euphoric feeling. If the nicotinic receptors are blocked, the brain activates Dopamine from different receptor sites and sources. This helps the smoker stop thinking about the relaxing effects of their smoking, making quitting a lot easier. Sorry about the technical soapbox lecture, but I thought it was really cool how Chantix works! :)

Everyone has those nicotinic receptors in their brain...even non smokers! :)

Big congrats to those who have quit. That is so fantastic. Keep up the good work! I hope to join you soon!

Smoking a hot dog.....not even GOING there..... :D LMAO

Yep... it makes smoking less enjoyable, especially once it is in your system... hard to explain. But after 2 weeks on Chantix, smoking nauseated me... it does the same thing the NicVAX shot does, but my sis (my nurse) said that they are seeing a higher success rate with Chantix than the shot... It's a bit expensive, but no more than cigarettes!!!! Good luck!!!! You can do it :)

Sorry for the hijack!! And thanks for the well wishes :D

Well done, I need to give it a try - When I am next at my doctors office I am going to chat about it with him. How much are they? and how long do you have to be on them?

I would recommend giving it a shot!! I quit along with my parents, and we are all doing very well.... Here they are about $100/month... you stay on for at least 12 weeks, but they recommend another 12 weeks after that... which I don't think would hurt, it ups the chances of staying quit. I actually switched to just taking one a day now... but when you weigh the cost of smoking vs these, it's so worth it!! Also, they will tell you to take them for a week and set a quit date, everyone I have talked to has agreed with me that it is SO much easier if you stay on them for 2 weeks and then quit. By day 14, I would have puked had I smoked!! It works that well, at least for us it did!!! Good luck!

With all the food, shows, bingo, excursions, excitement, who has time to smoke :D

Fred

well let me see:

after dinner is a good time for a smoke

after hitting blackjack and/or ordering a double jack and coke is a good time to smoke

after using the balcony for romantic purposes is a good time to smoke.

but I definitely do smoke less when I am on a cruise...but then again I do not smoke anywhere inside when I'm home..so its no big deal for me.

telling someone to just quit would ruin said person's cruise.

there is a time and place fr everything, and a cruise is not said place.

I too am going to ask my doctor about Chantix. $600 to invest in quitting is nothing compared to how much I spend on smokes and not to mention doctors bills, dry cleaning bills, how sick I will be later on, etc... The amount of money I save on not smoking can be spent on many other cruises. This has turned into a great thread and I for one am very thankful for it.

telling someone to just quit would ruin said person's cruise.

Never told her to quit, just to do away with it for 7 days. Also look what came of it, Chantix.

Just like people that are hooked on Coka Cola, I simply do away with it for 7 days and just drink Ice Tea or the Juices on Lido.

The hot dog was just one suggestion to keep her mouth busy, but since this is a Family oriented forum, lets leave it at that :D lol.

Fred

Never told her to quit, just to do away with it for 7 days. Also look what came of it, Chantix.

Just like people that are hooked on Coka Cola, I simply do away with it for 7 days and just drink Ice Tea or the Juices on Lido.

The hot dog was just one suggestion to keep her mouth busy, but since this is a Family oriented forum, lets leave it at that :D lol.

Fred

Fred, with all due respect... an addiction to caffeine is MUCH different than a nicotine addiction... nicotine is actually a harder habit to break than heroin... I don't think caffeine is even close. For people that don't know anything about the addiction, it's difficult to understand.. there are physical withdrawal symptoms that can be quite severe, including thoughts of suicide (and those that have become so depressed they have), I don't know of anyone that has thought of killing themself over a depression caused by lack of mountain dew :p It is not an option for a smoker to just "give it up for 7 days"... that wouldn't happen... it's not just something they like doing, it is a physical addiction... and it sucks!!!!!!

an addiction to caffeine is MUCH different than a nicotine addiction...

Totally understand that, I should of used something stronger, I did a search on what a pack of Cigs cost, the average price came to something like $4.50 a pack.

Assuming you smoked a Pack a day, Im sure there are people that smoke more then a pack a day, but we are only going to use a pack.

4.50 x 30 days = 135.00

135.00 x 12 Months = Cost of a 7 Day Balcony Cruise :D

That alone will get me to quit LOL.

Fred

Totally understand that, I should of used something stronger, I did a search on what a pack of Cigs cost, the average price came to something like $4.50 a pack.

Assuming you smoked a Pack a day, Im sure there are people that smoke more then a pack a day, but we are only going to use a pack.

4.50 x 30 days = 135.00

135.00 x 12 Months = Cost of a 7 Day Balcony Cruise :D

That alone will get me to quit LOL.

Fred

It really should help one quit, but it won't... and I've paid $9-$10/pack... cost isn't a deterrant, just like with drug addicts... health isn't either, I know plenty of people that have had heart attacks and had cancer, and continue to smoke... it is a powerful addiction, one that lasts a lifetime even after you quit... something I hope I never have to deal with again, but I've quit for long periods of time before, so it is a lifelong struggle :o

It is hard to quit, my dad smoked when I was little and then he quit when I about 7or8 but I have no memory of his smoking. He has gotten used to the fact that I smoke, (8or9 a day) but the one thing he stills says is he doesn't have the urge to smoke but if he found out he was dying he would start up again. That is a pretty strong statement.

About this Chantix, is it covered by perscription coverage? If not it should be. If it works as well as I have read about, you would think insurance companies would be all over it.

It is hard to quit, my dad smoked when I was little and then he quit when I about 7or8 but I have no memory of his smoking. He has gotten used to the fact that I smoke, (8or9 a day) but the one thing he stills says is he doesn't have the urge to smoke but if he found out he was dying he would start up again. That is a pretty strong statement.

About this Chantix, is it covered by perscription coverage? If not it should be. If it works as well as I have read about, you would think insurance companies would be all over it.

I have BC/BS of Illinois. It's not a covered drug; I would have to pay full price. They'll pay for *****, but not for a smoking cessation drug or birth control. Go figure. :rolleyes: That's a whole 'nother discussion though! lol

There are some plans that cover it though. I'll be switching insurance carriers after I get married. I'm going to have my fiance check with his plan and see if it is.

It really should help one quit, but it won't... and I've paid $9-$10/pack... cost isn't a deterrant, just like with drug addicts... health isn't either, I know plenty of people that have had heart attacks and had cancer, and continue to smoke... it is a powerful addiction, one that lasts a lifetime even after you quit... something I hope I never have to deal with again, but I've quit for long periods of time before, so it is a lifelong struggle :o

I agree 100%. Very nicely said.

My sister said she hasn't seen an insurance company cover it yet... which burns me up. To think of the THOUSANDS I have paid in cigarette taxes, and what MY taxes are paying for... when they should be paying for things like this. There is no better cause for what those taxes should pay for... yes, the taxes help pay health costs, but those would be decreased if they would use some of the dollars for smoking cessation programs that work... don't get me started.

My sister said she hasn't seen an insurance company cover it yet... which burns me up. To think of the THOUSANDS I have paid in cigarette taxes, and what MY taxes are paying for... when they should be paying for things like this. There is no better cause for what those taxes should pay for... yes, the taxes help pay health costs, but those would be decreased if they would use some of the dollars for smoking cessation programs that work... don't get me started.

I just talked to my insurance company last night before heading to drop the prescription off - they will cover it for me at a $40/month copay as long as my Dr. calls in a pre-authorization. So maybe things are changing. They will save themselves so much money in the long run if they spend a little now to help people quit!

I just talked to my insurance company last night before heading to drop the prescription off - they will cover it for me at a $40/month copay as long as my Dr. calls in a pre-authorization. So maybe things are changing. They will save themselves so much money in the long run if they spend a little now to help people quit!

That is fabulous!!!! Great to hear!! I am self insured, so I rarely have anything covered, LOL... but I will reimburse myself through my HSA at the end of the year!!! Very well worth every penny so far!! :D

I wonder if Chantix is the same as Zyban... that is what worked for me back in 98 when I quit my pack-a-day habit. Now, unless I am having a drink I have no desire for a cigarette, and even then I can't finish a 100s ultra light because it starts to taste nasty before I get to the end.

No one should ever smoke inside any cabin period! It is very dangerous and a serious FIRE hazard on the ships.

But it is allowed, and actually, it's not a serious fire hazard, as ships use the same materials as hotels... now, a fire can obviously start on a balcony... but when was the last time you heard of a fire starting in a cabin?? It's allowed in the cabins on most cruise lines... thankfully, the materials allow anything that might fall to smolder rather than flame...

Archived