Driving in Corfu?

Can anyone give me an idea how the roads are in Corfu. I've seen varying answers on this. I would like to drive to Paleokastriska Beach. I don't mind traffic but I am nervous about narrow winding roads. Will I have to drive on the side of cliffs or anything like that? If that is the case I guess I'll spend the $100 on cab rides.

We rented cars in Corfu last week and drove to Paleokatrista. The roads to the beach were for the most part easy to navigate. It got a bit more narrow and winding as we got closer to the beach area, but we weren't driving on cliffs. There are two free parking lots on either side of the beach, we had no problem getting parking spot in either lot. There is a restaurant/bar and a small convenience type store to get snacks right by the beach.

You can take the boat ride to the Grottos for 3 Euro, or a ride to other beaches for 5 Euro. We also saw a glass bottom boat ride, but I didn't see the price for that one.

The car rental places are a bit further in town, they're not right where the ships dock. We walked about a mile to get to the Budget car rental.

Just returned from Corfu a few days ago. The roads can be winding and there are some cliffs when you get closer to the beach area. Inland the roads wind but they are not near as bad as when you get closer to the beach area.

Cheers,

Sailing Girl: I'll be in Corfu in Sept. and I have a res. with Budget. I was hoping it was closer to the pier than a mile. Are there taxis available to go to Budget?? Did Budget give you a decent map of the island? Is there anything that shouldn't be missed ? Thanks...

John L.

We just returned from Corfu. We did not reserve a car and picked one up in the cruise terminal so we didn't have to get into town. As long as you are just going to Palalo the roads are fine. Make sure to go to the Monestary. Also on the way back follow the signs to Kerkyra, which is the Greek name for Corfu Town.

We picked up a car at the cruise terminal last October. The roads, themselves, aren't scary but the motorcycles that buzz around you are. The drive took less than an hour.

There is a shuttle bus from the terminal to town.

There are a few car rental places closer to the pier than Budget, but that was the one we booked with, so we just took a nice morning stroll. We didn't have a shuttle bus to take us into town, but there are lots of taxis lined up to drive you. We were getting quotes of 45 Euros an hour for a guided tour in case you decide not to rent a car.

Budget didn't give us a map, we used the one from the ship to guide us around. Once you leave Corfu town, there are many signs showing you the major towns indicating which way to turn. We had no problem finding Paleokatrista.

I'm brand new to this forum but have questions on the same topic. How did you make your rental reservation before arriving in Corfu? What price can I expect to pay in June 2007 for a one day rental in Corfu? Where can I find a detailed map of Corfu for driving?
We have rented a small automatic transmission car (can't drive a stick) from Budget for a stop in Corfu next month for about 72 euros for the day.

Les

What is the name of the care rental company at the Pier?

I will be in Corfu in 1 1/2 weeks and would like to rent a car for 6 of us to go to Paleo.

Do you think it will be necessary to make a reservation?

Thank you so much.

What is the name of the care rental company at the Pier?

I will be in Corfu in 1 1/2 weeks and would like to rent a car for 6 of us to go to Paleo.

Do you think it will be necessary to make a reservation?

Thank you so much.

Yes, I think you will need a reservation. With 6, you will need a larger car and June is prime tourist season.

Archived