Seafood on Alaska Sailings?

defaultet

Hi,

I read a recent press release from HAL talking about all the great seafood on Alaska cruises: wild salmon, etc. etc.

Is the food really that great? Better than other HAL cruises?

Do they get fresh fish in the Alaska ports along the way?

Thanks.

Defaultet:

We sailed the Zaandam last summer from Seattle to Alaska, and yes, the seafood, in particular the salmon, was very good. This year HAL has kicked up the seafood selection a notch, and it sounds delicious!

Here's a link to HAL's press release introducing the new "wild Alaskan seafood dinner" that is being presented on this summer's Alaska sailings.

Bon Appetit!:)

Karin

I live in Las Vegas (the desert!) and just grilled an amazing Northern Halibut! Extremely moist and tasty (got it from Whole Foods) so I'm really hoping the fish and chefs in Alaska on the Noordam can surpass what I can do at home in my backyard!:rolleyes: If they can't they've got some 'splainin' to do, Lucy!!!:mad:

Defaultet:

We sailed the Zaandam last summer from Seattle to Alaska, and yes, the seafood, in particular the salmon, was very good. This year HAL has kicked up the seafood selection a notch, and it sounds delicious!

Here's a link to HAL's press release introducing the new "wild Alaskan seafood dinner" that is being presented on this summer's Alaska sailings.

Bon Appetit!:)

Karin

As I'm a MAJOR seafood eater I can't wait to be one of the first to review this!! STAY TUNED:cool:

@sakedad,

looking forward to your review. My dad is trying to plan something for September but if the seafood is that great, he'll go for sure.

Anyone out there already back? What's the verdict?

Thanks!

Erik

Since my doc just told me to lower my cholesterol, I know that eating wild salmon is a big help.

Wow...tough duty..but someone has to do it! :D

Yumms!! I could eat fish everyday, and love to catch them too!

You will know me as I get off the ship, as I will have sprouted fins! ;)

Cheers! :)

Do they get fresh fish in the Alaska ports along the way?
It may come from Alaskan waters, but is most likely all loaded at Seattle or Vancouver home ports.

I hope they are doing better now with crab legs than on our last AK cruise 5 years ago. They only served crab legs one night, and they were pretty poor: mushy and almost flavorless. And they were Snow, not King too. I had to get my fill of crab at a land lunch in Ketchikan. :(

Have a question. I am not much into Salmon. But I do love shrimp. Will they very many dishes with shrimp? I could eat shrimp everyday. Just can't get enough of the stuff.

Jackie

It may come from Alaskan waters, but is most likely all loaded at Seattle or Vancouver home ports.

I hope they are doing better now with crab legs than on our last AK cruise 5 years ago. They only served crab legs one night, and they were pretty poor: mushy and almost flavorless. And they were Snow, not King too. I had to get my fill of crab at a land lunch in Ketchikan. :(

When I got off the Zaandam in Ketchikan last year, they were bring on boxes that were marked "fresh seafood". Later that day you saw those same boxes at the salmon bake at lunch. My impression was that the salmon brought on was used for the meals for the next week.

When I got off the Zaandam in Ketchikan last year, they were bring on boxes that were marked "fresh seafood". Later that day you saw those same boxes at the salmon bake at lunch. My impression was that the salmon brought on was used for the meals for the next week.

They actually have been doing this for years. I can remember our first Alaskan cruise on the Oosterdam in May 2004 and they were loading the fresh fish on in both Juneau and Ketchikan and we had great Salmon Bake out at the Lido Pool. We have also had several selections each night of Salmon last year. There were also a few nights with Halibut selections.

As for shrimp yes there will be a few shrimp appetizers but I doubt they are fresh. Also in the Main Dining Room I do not remember any main dishes that were shrimp onlyin the Pinnacle.

Wish they had had that wonderful wild Alaska salmon on our recent Hawaiin cruise - when I checked on the salmon they were serving I was told that it was farmed. So we missed our delicious salmon dinners. Guess we will have to cruise Alaska again to enjoy wild salmon.

Enjoy all that wonderful fresh seafood you lucky people headed that way this season!

I just got back last Saturday from the May 12-19 Oosterdam sailing. There were plenty of seafood choices. There were many varieties of fish choices including salmon, tilapia, and swordfish. There were also lots of entrees with shrimp. There was also a crab (legs) feast at the sail away from Sitka. Also salmon was used in a variety of appetizers and lunch dishes ( such as salmon cake tower). If you eat lunch at the Vista Dining instead of the Lido ( which we did a couple of times ) they have an appetizer menu called Calamari Fritti and it's very good if you like calamari. I kept the second Formal Dinner menu and Lobster Tail ws offered that night. They have some dishes that's available every night (it says so on the bottom of every night's menu) and Broiled Wild Salmon Fillet (with sauteed fresh veges and steamed rice) is one of the standard daily offering. The other standards are: French Onion Soup, Classical Ceasar Salad, Grilled Chicken Breast and Sirloin Steak. Yummm:)

Also, we asked our assistant dining steward if the ship picks up any food from the different ports they visit and he said no. They bring everything with them for the week from Seattle; even the fresh fruits they offer which is amazing considering they offered chocolate covered strawberries at the Dessert Extravaganza on Thursday night. I've never been able to keep strawberries that long without them spoiling.:D

Also, we asked our assistant dining steward if the ship picks up any food from the different ports they visit and he said no. They bring everything with them for the week from Seattle; even the fresh fruits they offer which is amazing considering they offered chocolate covered strawberries at the Dessert Extravaganza on Thursday night. I've never been able to keep strawberries that long without them spoiling.:D

I saw a whole show once (probably on Travel Channel) about the elaborate ways cruise ships go about keeping their food fresh, special "thawing refrigerators" for things brought aboard frozen at the beginning of the week, and things like that. It was very interesting - I think it might have been "Cruise Ship Secrets" but don't quote me.

P.S. Strawberries don't keep very well in my fridge, either!

• 2 weeks later...

When your room steward drops off your Daily Program for the next day, read through it carefully as it will tell you the different activities they are offering. For example, in Ketchikan, starting from 11:30 am - 2:00 pm was the Great Alaska Cookout at the Lido Deck. If you didn't read this, you might go to the Lido( inside) for buffet but not realize that if you go out to the pool area, there's a lot going on with other seafood offerings not available at the buffet. I believe they had baked salmon as well as crab legs, seafood ceviche, and baked alaska for dessert.:)

IThere was also a crab (legs) feast at the sail away from Sitka.

This is incorrect from my previous post. The sail-away was from Ketchikan where the Oosterdam leaves at 1pm so there's a Great Alaska Cookout at the Lido Deck by the pool. Sorry.

The salmon bake sounds good. Is that just a bunch of salmon out by the Lido? That to me sounds awesome.

If it's anything like the Salmon Bake I remember from our Alaska Cruise on the Westerdam in '99 it IS awesome!! Picture being on the deck above the lido pool, the sun shining on Glacier Bay with glaciers calving and amazing sights on all sides of the ship. The pool roof is open and the grills on the pool deck are loaded with salmon. The wonderful smells drifting up have your mouth watering before you get there!! After 8 years I don't remember a lot of the food we ate on that cruise (though it was all wonderful) but I DO remember that one!!:p

Holly

We just got back from a late May cruise on the Amsterdam. Everyone's tastes are different but we found the food to just be ok. The King Crab Leg dinner was a huge disappointment so it has not changed from a previous poster's experience 5 years ago. Salmon is just as good from Seattle as it is from Alaska and that was done quite well. Shrimp was usually just an appetizer i.e. the ubiquitous cocktail shrimp you get anywhere. Halibut was good but nothing out of the ordinary in its preparation. Surprisingly, the lobster tail, on one of the formal nights, was quite excellent except that it arrived cold. But it was tender and flavorful.

If your excursion schedule allows, you may want to try and dine in the main dining room for lunch when you can. The Lido was a bit disjointed in regards to service since they were woefully understaffed. Some of our party was able to get their offerings immediately while others waited for long periods of time to get a particular dish. It resulted in people having to eat their lunch before the others even reached the table.

I agree with the previous post. The fish and seafood were abundant, but nothing exceptional. Salmon was on several menu offerings, and done different ways. However, contrary to some other postings I have seen, the lobster dinner we had on board was excellent - HAL must be tracking the postings and earlier complaints.

Ditto on the Lido observations - it can be packed, understaffed, etc. We just returned from a 5/26 cruise to Alaska on the Oosterdam and often found the Lido frequently running out of clean cups and glasses, ice tea, etc. It is understaffed, and there is a definite language problem with the Indonesian staff, and when they do talk, it is generally with each other and not serving the guests.

Archived