New silhouette of Celebrity Solstice?

mrjim

I wouldn't trust those marketing materials. Who knows when they were created. The silhouette looks like a tracing of the Century class ship below it. This is the last silhouette I saw of Solstice (attached). During the keel laying or steel cutting ceremony, they had a piece of signage that had the exact same silhouette. It had two funnels. I can't seem to find the image now.

CelebritySolstice.jpg.aff2dfe5e40ee2dd10a75b5d84964c63.jpg

This is the last silhouette I saw of Solstice (attached).

I saw a drawing of Solstice as well... and it had two stacks and the X was on the side rather than on the funnel.

I think the profile in the brochure looks like the Norwegian series: Dawn, Star etc..

two funnels: One to show and one to go..;)

Can anyone tell me why they need two funnels?

Thanks,

Susan

Hi Susan !

I've been wondering the same thing myself. Hopefully, someone will have an answer that can shed some more light on this.

I think it'll likely have something to do with two different power sources onboard, like the Vista-class HAL vessels have. I'f im not mistaken, they have two different types of power generators.m Anyone able to confirm?

MC.

Just following up on my original post after searching a little bit on the topic. HAL's vista class vessels use the CODAG (Combined diesel and gas) power generation system. so, as the abbrev. for the system states, it uses both diesel and gas power onboard, which results in two different exhaust funnels for the respective generators.

That's my guess for the two funnels on Solstice. Two different power sources.

MC.

There's a lot that's revealed just from looking at the material published about Celebrity Solstice. Publications like Design 06 from ShipPax in Sweden and material from Meyer Werft gives away a lot of information.

- On all the illustrations I've seen of the side (except one) of the ship

just shows one smokestack.

- The ship will (unfortunately?) have a multistory atria going all the way

up to the pooldeck like on most RCCL ships. There's a "bulge" on the side

of the ship just as there are on RCCL chips to be able to fit the width of

of a atria on the more narrow upper cabin decks.

- Maybe the second smokestack was supposed to be a fake one as on

the Disney ships and the atria going further up than the pooldeck ending

with a skybar?

- Illustrations from Meyer Werft also shows this with a skylight on

top with a huge X holding the glass and they call the hole area "The X

glass atria".

- No glass elevators on the outside. I guess to get as many balconies as

possible.

- The main diningroom will not be aft as on previous Celebrity ships.

A look at the ship side shows that there's no windows on

the side at the aft part where the main diningroom usually are, but

two rows of larger windows are situated a bit further in.

- As I understand the aft design has been redesigned a couple of times

from a rather "standard" to a one looking like the aft design like the AIDA

ships. This will make it possible to have a secondary show lounge at the

aft (where the main diningroom is on the other Celebrity ships) with huge

glass wall facing the sea protruding out from the aft hull. A larger lounge

will be situated here (a glassed in area are showed on all illustrations of

the ship) but different aft hull design gives different appearances of the

glass wall.

- Since the atria and it's skylight together with some sort of Princess style

"Santctuary" take almost all the deck space at the area around the

smokestack make it not possible to have the sports deck here so it will

be located around the ships mast above the sky bar in the front.

- There will be SPA staterooms and suites on the same deck as the SPA

it self and not on the deck below as on the new Costa ships.

- On the highest deck at the aft (above the casual dining area) will be

suites and maybe the old "Skylight suites" as on the first Celebrity ship

with a real own skulight will appear again?

- Something called "XL pool screen" is mentioned as a note on a schetch

and I guess that will be a big screen at the pool deck like on Princess

ships.

Thats all I could figure out from the published material I've seen.

Hope they reveal more information soon.

Can't wait for more since the features I've seen so far (they can all be found on newbuilt ships today) can't be the revolutionary ones they've talked about since the first press release. Or is this it?

Scandinaviancruiser, what a great post! Superb information (I think you Euros take ships seriously) and I only wish I could see the publication in which the article appeared. BTW, I will be in your fine country in July, but only around Gothenburg (as in Saab land).

Mrcruzer (sorry if I messed up the name), on CODAG ships the "gas" part refers to the fact that they use gas turbines--essentially a jet engine without the thrust part--which run of jet fuel. As expected, it it is more expensive than oil, which fuels the diesel engines, so much so that Captain Mitropoulos the master on Century told us that Solstice will use only diesels and have conventional propellers, not pods, which have proven troublesome on Celebrity's Millenium-class ships.

As for the two stacks, as a previous poster suggested, I think it's strictly cosmetic--to bring visual balance to the design of the upper deck. Even the classic liners of the '20s and '30s (think Titanic) had phony stacks.

Scandinaviancruiser, what a great post! Superb information (I think you Euros take ships seriously) and I only wish I could see the publication in which the article appeared. BTW, I will be in your fine country in July, but only around Gothenburg (as in Saab land).

Mrcruzer (sorry if I messed up the name), on CODAG ships the "gas" part refers to the fact that they use gas turbines--essentially a jet engine without the thrust part--which run of jet fuel. As expected, it it is more expensive than oil, which fuels the diesel engines, so much so that Captain Mitropoulos the master on Century told us that Solstice will use only diesels and have conventional propellers, not pods, which have proven troublesome on Celebrity's Millenium-class ships.

As for the two stacks, as a previous poster suggested, I think it's strictly cosmetic--to bring visual balance to the design of the upper deck. Even the classic liners of the '20s and '30s (think Titanic) had phony stacks.

Very true, I completely forgot they'd be using convential propellors and diesel engines. Thank you!

If thats the case, then I'd have to agree, perhaps a phony one. I really do like the design of the funnel shown in the other thread, the pic of the ship.

The ship will (unfortunately?) have a multistory atria going all the way up to the pooldeck like on most RCCL ships. There's a "bulge" on the side of the ship just as there are on RCCL chips to be able to fit the width of of a atria on the more narrow upper cabin decks.

Gosh, this is enough to give us Celebrity cruisers atrial fibrillation!

I was almost positive the thread simply dissapeared! Like you said, it also had the link to the meyer werft brochure. Looks like we finally have got an image to work with to speculate about the ship!

I'm betting Celebrity were not happy campers!;)

I'm still kicking myself for not saving the pics to my computer...:mad:

I thought I was the only one that was going crazy looking for that thread. I didn't go back to check Meyer Werft, though. I did save the pdf to my desktop.

Another funny note, we have been advertising for designers here at my office. Somebody emailed me their portfolio, which contained a proposal pdf to RCI for the shops on Genesis. I about jumped out of my pants, I was so excited. They were very conceptual though, and mostly focused on branding of the shops. Nothing breakthrough. It was still fun, though.

I didn't save the whole pdf brochure, but I did save the profile pic and converted it to jpg. At least we have this to ponder.

EEK. It lives still! thank you! I copied the picture as soon as i saw it:p

Somebody help me...please. I am one of those who needs to know only when I care to decide what to do about anything...so in my own true fashion, I have no idea where this ship is going or when, or when the dates and fares will be released....but my interest is so piqued with the Princess style screen under the stars idea alone, that I wished they would do sine it sounds so cool, I need to know, now so I can get ready to book another cruise. :D

Thanks!

Well, from the brochure pictures, If im not mistaken, it looked like there was some sort of outdoor theatre on the Solstice class too. Not postive, but it's worth the wait to see the features. I have a feeling this is going to be one remarkable ship.

darrencantwait, could you repost the pdf file?

I think it proves Cruise lines must browse the boards, or at least Celebrity, otherwise what possible reason could have removed that thread and pics so quickly?

Somebody help me...please. I am one of those who needs to know only when I care to decide what to do about anything...so in my own true fashion, I have no idea where this ship is going or when, or when the dates and fares will be released....but my interest is so piqued with the Princess style screen under the stars idea alone, that I wished they would do sine it sounds so cool, I need to know, now so I can get ready to book another cruise. :D

Thanks!

Hi Darren !

If those initial sketches turn out to be accurate, it did "appear" that a MUTS type screen is in the works for the Solstice Class. Personally, I would be fine with it. I like the idea of watching a movie outdoors featuring the sea breeze and some popcorn ! We will see if it comes to reality. Time will tell.

Archived