Return flight, how early from Galveston?

laurenlex

Greetings. We are contemplating taking the Voyager of the Seas in February, but have a question about flights times, since Galveston is a ways from either Houston airport.

On our previous RCCL cruise, we were advised to not schedule air before noon, but that seemed like overkill, as we had MUCH time to kill on the ship and at the airport. I seem to recall that early flights had priority on disembarkation.

Would it be crazy to have a departure flight leaving Houston (IAH) at 11:10am on Sunday? :rolleyes: It is cheaper and easier on a long day home. :eek:

Thanks for the help. :)

Cannot truly answer this question...

Where is your Home???

That will tell you if your flying from Hobby or IAH ....

If it is the latter plan on 2 hours to get to the airport, what if the ship if delayed for anyreason returning to port???

Plan later in the day for safety ......

John

Are you self dis-embarking? Are your renting a car back to the airport or taking a ship shuttle?

Our record is to be leaving Galveston before 8 am, but the last time on Rhapsody they had the 7th of 13 planned bridge closures (who knew) and instead of the planned 1 hour closure we did not get over the Galveston Causeway until after 10 am. We hit the bridge about 8:10. It closed for 2 hours because the dynomiting threw debris up on the bridge. If you are planning on that early, be sure to check for road problems.

When I had posted this after our cruise everyone acted like I was being annoying, that the bridge closures were not every week, just check the news and I would have known and not had to sit on the bridge in my car for 2 hours. Luckily it was a gorgeous day for being outside, but the couple of hours of extra sitting before we got home I could have done without. Luckily I was not rushing to the airport.

• 2 weeks later...

They have also been delayed getting off the Conquest when the Esctasy didn't leave on Saturday due to putting in a new engine and overnighted at Galveston and then they had to move to let the Conquest dock so the departure from the Conquest was late. Then the bomb scare on the Esctasy and they wouldn't let anyone off right away. Seriously I would not get a flight before 2pm from IAH or 1pm for Hobby and even that you could miss your flight. I almost missed my flight out of New Orleans due to the Coast Guard doing a surprise inspection and we didn't get to disembark till 10am - I had to jump in front of wheelchair people (not a nice thing to do at all!) to get off the boat and rush to a cab (there were four of us) and we made it to the airport within about a 1 minute to get on - they were closing the gate - I DO NOT want to go through that again. Take a later departure just in case. debbie

Archived