help with Underground in London

This is my first time, so I need specific intstructions please. I am being dropped off at Victoria Station and need to get to Hatton Cross in Middlesex. I am taking the Tube into London and would prefer to return on the Tube. How d I do this from Victoria Station?

At Victoria take the Westbound District line to Hammersmith.

Make sure you get on a train heading for Richmond or Ealing Broadway - do not take one to Wimbledon as this does not go as far as Hammersmith.

At Hammersmith you are now above-ground. You need to swap to the Piccadilly Line Westbound to Heathrow - at Hammersmith this comes in on the parrallel platform so you only need to cross the platform to change trains which makes it easy.

Hammersmith to Hatton Cross takes around 35 mins.

Hope this helps

Hello Harrtcher,

As the underground system is obviously new to you, I will make this, I hope, sound as easy as posiible. This is a relatively easy trip from Victoria station to Hatton Cross.

The line you want at Victoria is the District Line ( Westbound ) (destination will read Uxbridge or Richmond on the front of the train, either train will do) the purchase of one ticket is sufficient and this can be obtained at the desk.

Take the Westbound District train to Hammersmith. Walk across the platform and get a Westbound Piccadily Line train for Heathrow. Its a simple as that. The Piccadilly line trains either show Heathrow or Uxbridge but its the Heathrow train you want.

Travelling time should be approx 40 to 50 minutes. Hatton Cross is one stop short of Heathrow.

If you do get into difficulties, theres always someone from the Transport staff on hand if not on the platform, then in the booking hall.

By the way, the District line is coloured green and the Piccadilly line coloured blue.

Jimmy

At Victoria take the Westbound District line to Hammersmith.

Make sure you get on a train heading for Richmond or Ealing Broadway - do not take one to Wimbledon as this does not go as far as Hammersmith.

At Hammersmith you are now above-ground. You need to swap to the Piccadilly Line Westbound to Heathrow - at Hammersmith this comes in on the parrallel platform so you only need to cross the platform to change trains which makes it easy.

Take the Westbound District train to Hammersmith. Walk across the platform and get a Westbound Piccadily Line train for Heathrow. Its a simple as that.
I'm going to do my usual muddying of the waters here. I'd recommend changing at Barons Court, one stop earlier than Hammersmith. It's basically the same, except a shorter walk across the platform at a quieter station. This is where I always change when I'm travelling to/from Heathrow.

Except if the weather is poor. Then Hammersmith is better because the platforms are more sheltered.

The above posters know the Tube system a whole lot better than me, a one time rider. However, I can give you a hint about knowing which train to get on when you are in the station.

Check the big map on the wall when you see the trains flashing on the announcement sign. You'll see that they show the COLOR of the line, and then the FURTHEST station it goes to. Find that, then find the station you want. That way you will know which train to get on.

This is pretty standard of most underground transpo, and it's the same for BART in the SF Bay Area, but a little more confusing with the color of the line thrown in.

Archived