Orca Enterprise

kellywhitehills

Normally I am not a complainer and pretty easy to please. That being said....My experience with Orca Enterprise has been VERY unsatisfactory. When I made my reservation I was told that if I cancelled with in a certain time frame I would recieve a refund of my deposit..I Cancelled our reservation after many weeks of trying to contact them by both phone and email. Today I tried calling them once again and they told me our reservation had been cancelled and refunded minus 25 bucks each..That was the penalty for cancelling.NOW I was not told of any such charge when I made the reservation..I was told I would recieve a refund of my deposit..Like I said before..My experience has been very unsatisfactory with this compant..Communication has been zero from day one.,..No returning emails or phone calls...No mailing of brochures Nothing..nada ziltch..Goldbelt has returned every phone call Ive made and Sent me brochures as requested anbd paper conformation with boarding pass......Dealing with this company has been a very different and positive experience and I am more than happy to give them my hard earned $$$.

We used Capt Larry last week and had a wonderful time! Because of his faster boat we were even able to catch up to some Orca's which is something you rarely get to see in that area. He could have very easily just parked the boat at some humpbacks and not have used the extra gas.....but his aim is to show his customers everything that he can find!

Interesting. I just checked the Orca Enterprises website, and I could not find any information on the site regarding refunds if you cancel. Has anyone been able to find that information on their site? If not, they can probably do anything they would like regarding the refund of a deposit.

I did see the following in the competition's site:

"To confirm a reservation, we require a 20% deposit. 100% refundable up to two weeks prior to tour date. Anytime after that the deposit is nonrefundable.

If canceled due to circumstances beyond your control, full refund.

Our goal is 100% customer satisfaction."

The cancellation policy should be spelled out on their web site as well as on the confirmation you receive. However, if you never received a confirmation, I can see why you would be irritated. Some companies do charge a fee no matter how far out you cancel. (Chilkoot Charters in Skagway charges a 10% cancellation fee, for instance.)

i would think all the companies charge sometime for cancelling...all the paperwork, bank charges for the 1st deposit and then the refund, plus the cost of the office person's time for doing all of this.

the ship's excursions are the only ones, i know of, that don't protect themselves this way.

They told me the cancellation policy was posted on their web site...But when I asked them where it was on the web site they did not know...SOO IF ITS ON THERE its poorly marked and they cant even find it..

I can't find it online either. It says to e-mail or call for reservations. There is no option to book online, and therefore no cancellation policy listed. I would fight them on this one!

i would think all the companies charge sometime for cancelling...all the paperwork, bank charges for the 1st deposit and then the refund, plus the cost of the office person's time for doing all of this.

the ship's excursions are the only ones, i know of, that don't protect themselves this way.

The web site doesn't mention the cancellation policy. The OP never got anything in writing from Orca Enterprises. I would be mad, too!

We're booked with Marv&Harv for a whale watch on our Sept. Infinity repo. Eileen answered my mail within a couple of hours and said not to even bother with a deposit. Since our cruise is so late in the season, if the whale watch has to be canceled for weather reasons (although rare), she thought it would be easier not to have the difficulty of refunding or phoning back and forth. We're hard to contact since we live in Europe.

I think that's more than just satisfactory! Up to now, their company has been great to work with - can't wait for the actual trip.

I received a confirmation by email within a week of booking with them, and the information page does say (and is highlighted) that "Cancellation policy is $25 charge per person per trip up to 72 hours prior to thrip departure. No refund for cancellations within 72 hours unless vendor cancels the trip." They also told me about the policy when I booked the trip with them over the phone...the woman I spoke with there was very helpful and answered my numerous questions with a lot of patience...I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, though. Hope you enjoy your trip!

I received a confirmation by email within a week of booking with them, and the information page does say (and is highlighted) that "Cancellation policy is $25 charge per person per trip up to 72 hours prior to thrip departure. No refund for cancellations within 72 hours unless vendor cancels the trip." They also told me about the policy when I booked the trip with them over the phone...the woman I spoke with there was very helpful and answered my numerous questions with a lot of patience...I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, though. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Same here!

We were scheduled to go with Cap Larry on our last Summit cruise. When we got to ship, they had moved back our arrival time in Juneau. So I called Orca from Seward and told them of the change. They had already heard of it and said they would try to resched us for 2:30. We actually arrived even later than the revised time, and they were still waiting for us when we got there, about another hr plus late. So they do have customers in mind and try to do the right thing. They are a small company and they do get behind in their calls and emails from time to time. but Carol and her staff have always come thru for us.

So sorry to hear about your problem. Hope your whalewatch goes well.

I had the same experience as calbear94 - they told me about the cancellation fee before they took my credit card info for the deposit. The emailed receipt also has it highlighted in yellow.

Sorry you had a bad experience with them. I've heard only good things up until now and look forward to our trip with them in a few weeks.

As a matter of personal rule, I always ask every business of this kind up front what their cancellation policy is. I never book with anyone until and unless I have something in writing that shows what the cancellation fees are, if any.

But if someone at Orca Enterprises had told you on the phone that you would get your deposit back, with no penalty, I can see why you would rely on those words. I would not, again, without something in writing, but I can understand why you would. After all, it's the very business who is telling you, so why doubt, right?

If the facts are exactly the way you described, 1) someone told you that you would get your deposit back without penalty if cancelled; and 2) you did not get anything in writing to the contrary, then I would say that Orca Enterprises did drop the ball. I would gently point these facts out to them and see if you can get your $25 pp deposit back. I am sorry to hear that you had this kind of exprience.

Just for my own personal experience, my dealing with Orca Enterprises has been nothing but positive. My e-mails have been answered promptly, and calls taken right away. When I asked for the cancellation policy, I got a Word file that describes their tour offerings along with cancellation terms within hours. But no human beings are perfect, and even a good business sometimes drops the ball. I hope Orca Enterprises will make you whole in this situation.

last year, i was told that the $50 deposit was not refundable. which was fine with me, since i was going to cancel no matter what.

I'm curious - why were you going to cancel your tour with Orca no matter what? Seems a little strange to book the excursion in the first place if you planned on cancelling it from the getgo.

Sam

I'd think that virtually all companies, particularly those that have been in business for any period of time, have figured out the cost of running a business, including "paperwork" (and associated costs) amd the cost of labor in the office as well as on the boat. Those business costs should be built in to the cost of the excursion and not financed by unstated cancellation charges. In fact, I'd think that having unstated (and therefore unknown) cancellation charges would damage a business's reputation - and maybe it will.

Sam

i WASN'T going to cancel no matter what. i had to cancel harv & marv when the rest of the family won't go. with only 2 of us, H&M had to wait to see if anyone else was going to go at that time. so i cancelled with them and book with capt larry...so glad i did.

i was going to alaska see whales...no matter what!!! since it rained and sleeted on me the whole time i was out on deck...and rough water...i almost got the "no matter what"!!(as we approached the boat, i was praying that i was not going to hear "the waters too rough, we have to cancel")

we were going with a smaller cruise ship experience. one where we could sit out all day and just watch the wildlife and fish off the aft, it was bad enough we changed our plans to make it easier for the family to join us..i was not going to miss out on my humpbacks. (did love the NCL star, but next time it will be a smaller ship...less then 100 passengers)

just glad the FIL went and enjoyed his only cruise and only trip to alaska. since he is in getting worse and could not go this year.

(H & M didn't ask for a deposit from me either, but it was...due to late in season and then not knowing if they could find another couple to go with us)

I'd think that virtually all companies, particularly those that have been in business for any period of time, have figured out the cost of running a business, including "paperwork" (and associated costs) amd the cost of labor in the office as well as on the boat. Those business costs should be built in to the cost of the excursion and not financed by unstated cancellation charges. In fact, I'd think that having unstated (and therefore unknown) cancellation charges would damage a business's reputation - and maybe it will.

Sam

Not uncommon for shore excursions in Alaska to have a cancellation penalty. Second, it is not uncommon for Web Sites to not go into cancellation policy when they are not setup to accept payment through the web.

I think it has been stated many times that Orca's policy is to tell you the cancellation policy when you call to book and they also highlight this when they send you the confirmation. This seems more than acceptable to me.

I am not disputing this paticular case, but for you to claim they have unstated cancellation policy is just not true.

I booked with Capt Larry last weekend. I did email and called and left a message, but I called back after a couple of days because I figured that they were very busy. From what I read on-line, th ey are a small company. When I booked, they DID tell me about the $25 per person cancellation policy and that it does not apply if they have to cancel or if the ship comes into port late. In addition, they did say that they will send a confirmation email to me and that sometimes it takes 2 wks to get it sent. They also told me that if I did not receive it within 2 wks to call them back. I am so looking forward to my trip with them.....

Sorry this happened to you Kelly - but Orca told me on the phone about the refund policy, and then sent me a confirmation right after I booked and it was very clear on my confirmation invoice that if I cancel they will refund all but $25 per person (yellow highlighted as stated earlier).

Did you not receive an email right after you booked? I got mine the same day.

I'm curious - why were you going to cancel your tour with Orca no matter what? Seems a little strange to book the excursion in the first place if you planned on cancelling it from the getgo.

I have to wonder the same thing KnoxvilleSam! That just doesn't make sense! :rolleyes: I've had wonderful dealings with Orca!

Nope..There was absoutly no communication on their part..Thats my biggest gripe about the whole situation..I talked to a supervisor and she basically told me I was told..She said it was highlighted on my conformation...HUMM...I probably would have read it IF I HAD RECIEVED IT!!

Bottom line is...The woman who booked my reservation did not tell me about the cancellation penalty..Just because a person has worked for a company for 5 years doesnt mean they will be perfect every time..I did not ever recieve anything to confirm our reservation..Not a single phone call was returned or email answered..I guess my reservation was somewhere in the twilight zone..:)

I hope they have a nice lunch and laugh on my 50 bucks..

with all the spam controls we have on our emails, i think this might be happening more and more. i have one spam control that deletes before i get it. i have to be very careful which email address i give who.

not that i think that's what happened, just that it's going to happen more as we distrust our emails more.

i know on the NCL board, some people were saying they hadn't recieved the travel docs...only to find them in the spam file of their email. just something we have to deal with in this electronic world.

Archived