Royal Caribbean And Discrimination towards

We have sailed 4 times aboard RCI and have always sailed within a Deluxe ocean view room with a Balcony. I use a wheelchair and require the handicapped accessible cabins. We are not looking to book a cruise and want to bring our 2 small children along with us. At the time of sailing they will be ages 3 and 5 years old.

We were told by our travel agent that RCI does not allow 4 passengers in this type of handicapped cabin. They do however allow 4 passengers in this type cabin in a non handicapped room. I was told that my only option is a Suite which raised the price by almost $3, 500.

This in my opinion is discrimination if they allow 4 people in the same type of cabin as long as you do not need the accessibility.

I am looking for someone at RCI to contact but am not sure who to talk with.

Any support would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Lori

Did you consider that they may have used space for other beds for things like our ADA requirements? I doubt RCL is trying to pick on folks with a handicap. Doesn't seem like a sound business practice from company in the hospitality business, not that they at all perfect.

I am sorry but is not fair that I have to pay additional charges to sail with my family just because I use a wheelchair. My children will be 3 and 5 years old at the time of sailing. I highly doubt they should stay in a room by themseleves.

Thanks for your help

you could always get them there "own" room. i know they will be 3 and 5, but you can get them a room with an adjoining door between them, and leave the door open between the 2 cabins.

i dont think it is the way it is because of discrimination, i think it has to do with a size and space issue. this does suck in my opinion, but there may be little that can be done.

GREG

I don't know if I would go so far as to say discrimination at this point,but i think it's highly questionable..Why should someone who requires to use a wheelchair,not be able to cruise with their family,the same as anyone else,without having to "purchase" an additional room.With a 3 & 5 year old thats not even doable...especially if one of the parents if confined to a wheelchair..

Maybe they only have a certain number available.

Have you looked at a Family Ocean view...Maybe these have more room?

Good look.I am sure you are pretty frustrated..

I don't see it as "discrimination"--it's a matter of space! If they put enough furniture for 4 in that handicapped room, you wouldn't have room to manuever your wheelchair. Then you would be screaming bloody murder because it's not "handicapped accessible"! You can't have it both ways! Until they make a family suite accessible for wheelchairs....you have to book what they offer!

We have sailed 4 times aboard RCI and have always sailed within a Deluxe ocean view room with a Balcony. I use a wheelchair and require the handicapped accessible cabins. We are not looking to book a cruise and want to bring our 2 small children along with us. At the time of sailing they will be ages 3 and 5 years old.

We were told by our travel agent that RCI does not allow 4 passengers in this type of handicapped cabin. They do however allow 4 passengers in this type cabin in a non handicapped room. I was told that my only option is a Suite which raised the price by almost $3, 500.

This in my opinion is discrimination if they allow 4 people in the same type of cabin as long as you do not need the accessibility.

Thank you,

Lori

You can make a call to the ships disability consultant; they are the people who got me my sign language interpreters for the duration; my husband and I were "lucky" and got a hc room; (no we are not physically challenged) I thought the room was a nice size; there was a couch that could open up to a bed and perhaps ur youngest kids could zz there; its a balcony and a bathroom that has a shower chair; its big compared to the other rooms..(on that cruise; they had enough rooms for people in chairs and I wanted to be close to other family members; so they asked if we would mind getting a hc room; and I said "as long as I am not taking it away from others that may need it.. I WILL DEFINATELY take it..

hope this helps

Human

I am cruising with twin 3 year olds and we booked adjoining cabins... 1 for them and 1 for us. A lot of people do this. A lot of other people fit everyone in 1 room IF there is a room the suits their needs. I hope you are able to reach a mutually agreeable solution to your problem.

It sounds there needs to be more information before judgement is passed. (Just so you know, I do understand the predicament of the people with special needs. I am also taking my handicapped mother on this cruise and booked her own room. We have 3 rooms in a row 2 adjoining and 1 single.)

Yes, from what I can find in just a few minutes looking at some brochures, the Category E Stateroom---the Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony--doesn't seem to exist in an Accessible version that can hold more than two people.

Around the fleet, one has to book a Category D Superior Ocean View with Balcony or a Junior Suite or higher in order to get the accessibility, the balcony, and the extra berths for a third and fourth person.

Large bummer. Maybe with your appeal, you will be able to get a Cat D or JS at the price of an E1. Good luck, and Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

I wonder if they said "no" due to those rooms having sofabeds for 3rd and 4th passengers-- when sofabed is made up there may not be room for a wheelchair to pass? On the flip side, I think the OP's kids are too young for pullman beds- I thought I read age 6 for those.

What about connecting cabins instead of a suite- those are sometimes cheaper than a suite.

You don't say which ships you are looking at , but I am booked this weekend in an inside accessible room on Freedom of the Seas that has 2 twin beds and a sofa bed. There are 3 adults, but it would certainly be fine for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Looking at the deck plans on the Freedom, I only saw one cabin that had this configuration and a balcony. #1328 on deck 10. It also can be sold with 1330 as an adjoining room.

I have found the accessibility staff at RCI to be top-notch in their attempts to help us with our needs. Have you spoken to someone at the accessibility dept?

Good luck with your trip.

Thank you,

Lori

Sorry, but I think the law requires reasonable accommodation not an exact accessible duplication of every possible room configuration in every cabin category.

Maybe you should look into the family ocean view state room. And deal with the smaller doors for your chair. The ADA rooms are set up to have maximum floor and bathroom space and there was no where that I could see for extra beds in the ones that my grandfather has had in the past. Remember ADA only requires REASONABLE accomidation of YOUR needs not the either family.

We went on the ROS 2 summers ago and my Dad (since deceased) was in a wheelchair/scooter and in a HC room. They brought my 5 yo niece (her parents couldn't join us) and my parents had to "book" her in our room with us (we had adjacent rooms; deluxe ov w/balcony) since we could accomodate 3 people but the HC cannot. It's not discrimination; it's life. They have HC rooms available but not all will accomodate everyone's individual circumstances. Either get 2 rooms, upgrade to a JS or stay home.

Sorry if this sounds harsh and I'm not saying you're one of these but it get real old when you hear Americans with Disabilities wanting everything the same as those who don't have physical disabities and whine, moan and yell "discrimination" when it's not.

We went on the ROS 2 summers ago and my Dad (since deceased) was in a wheelchair/scooter and in a HC room. They brought my 5 yo niece (her parents couldn't join us) and my parents had to "book" her in our room with us (we had adjacent rooms; deluxe ov w/balcony) since we could accomodate 3 people but the HC cannot. It's not discrimination; it's life. They have HC rooms available but not all will accomodate everyone's individual circumstances. Either get 2 rooms, upgrade to a JS or stay home.

Sorry if this sounds harsh and I'm not saying you're one of these but it get real old when you hear Americans with Disabilities wanting everything the same as those who don't have physical disabities and whine, moan and yell "discrimination" when it's not.

Ouch!:( This was a little too harsh IMMHO.

Ouch!:( This was a little too harsh IMMHO.

I apologize if it sounded harsh but my Dad never complained or expected special treatment or yelled discrimination if something was more than expected due to his handicap and it really gets to me when others do. Didn't mean to offend anyone and I apologize if I did -

Yeah. I think most people are on the money in their responses. You should contact their special needs department and see what options might be available, but don't go in guns blazing shouting discrimination. Making a cabin handicap accessible will obviously take away from the room available for other things, such as extra beds. You should not expect that, just because their are cabins availble that sleep four in the category you want, there must also be handicap accessible cabins available in that same category that also sleep four. But if you talk with someone with the cruise line who deals with these kinds of issues, they may be able to work something out with you. I must say, I'm surprised at the price difference you mentioned above. I think you can get what you need in a Junior Suite, and those are generally an extra $400 - $600 per cabin over the cost of a deluxe w/ balcony. Maybe those were booked up, though, and they had to quote you one of the fancier suites.

Good Luck.

I apologize if it sounded harsh but my Dad never complained or expected special treatment or yelled discrimination if something was more than expected due to his handicap and it really gets to me when others do. Didn't mean to offend anyone and I apologize if I did -

I didn't think it was all that harsh. You can't always get exactly what you want. I'd like to be able to fly first class without paying extra. (I'm quite tall and really could use the extra leg room.) But I either accept something less than I would like or pay the extra.

Penn & Teller's SHowtime series covered the ADA recently. Losing perspective is common on almost any topic. The posters are correct when stating that RCCL is doing whatever they can in a reasonable manner to accommodate handicapped travelers. However not every cabin at every price point will be accessible. I believe they tell anyone not handicapped if they book a HC cabin they can be bumped. Period. I agree - before yelling discrimination speak with someone in authority at RCCL. I feel they will come to a reasonable "compromise"

Archived