Yet Another Tipping Question: Breakfast in the Pinnacle

OldCodger73

I don't what there is about tipping that causes so much anxiety. Anyway, deluxe suite passangers can have breakfast in the Pinnacle as one of the suite "perks". When you've done so do you not tip, assuming it's included in the perk package that you've already paid for; tip like you would do for a room service delivery; or like you would if you were actually buying a breakfast in a resaurant?

Anyway, I'm interested what other people do.

We really enjoy the PG for breakfast and are there most mornings. Yes, we tip for breakfast and also in the PG when we have dinner there.

How much? Breakfast: A flat few dollars as one would for room service, or 15% of what you think the breakfast would cost in a restaurant, or ???

Dinner: 15% of the $30/pp cover charge, or ???

How much? Breakfast: A flat few dollars as one would for room service, or 15% of what you think the breakfast would cost in a restaurant, or ???

Dinner: 15% of the $30/pp cover charge, or ???

We generally leave a few dollars for breakfast for the 2 of us.

At dinner, we tip the waiter $150-20 for 2 depending on service. We also tip the wine steward as we generally bring our own wine and they decant and serve it. Since such a small amount goes to the wine steward, we tip him $10 as well. More people and more bottles, we tip more.

....At dinner, we tip the waiter $150-20 for 2 depending on service. We also tip the wine steward as we generally bring our own wine and they decant and serve it. Since such a small amount goes to the wine steward, we tip him $10 as well. More people and more bottles, we tip more.

Caviar Gal, I'm assuming the above was a typo, and that you meant to write $15-20, rather than $150-20, correct?

Caviar Gal, I'm assuming the above was a typo, and that you meant to write $15-20, rather than $150-20, correct?

Sure was! Otherwise, the waitstaff would be fighting over our table:D.

Actually, I did tip that amount for a group of 22 last cruise so it must have been on mind!

Thanks for your responses. Anyone else? So far it seems to be do what you feel comfortable doing.

I sometimes think New Zealand has the right attitude about tipping.

And French Polynesia!!:D

Were we to eat many breakfasts in Pinnacle (which we don't) and were pleased with the service (which we have been whenever we have eaten breakfast there), we would probably have an envelope for the stewards at the end of the cruise rather than leaving a tip each day.

We do most of our tipping at the end of our cruises rather than throughout.

caviargal - you made my eyes pop open quickly. Thankfully you can back on and cleared up wrote you wrote.

To the others - we do eat quite a bit at the Pinnacle or King's Room - depends upon ship - and since the waitstaf is the same people everyday, we tip at the end of the cruise.

We have had VERY poor service from the European waiters for breakfast and usually have to make a complaint on our comment sheet. For this reason we feel no obligation to tip any of them. Many years ago when we had the usual wonderful Indonesian staff we always tipped at the end of the cruise depending on how much we used the King's room. As I have mentioned earlier on this board -- we sometimes have to wait 20 minutes to even have our order taken for breakfast and then it was not correct (such as ice tea with no ice!) -- the same problem at lunch when the European waiters are working. This is definitely not the time of day they want to work!!

Sorry for this negative report because we are very generous with our tips but this is a sore subject with us re. the Pinnacle.

Could you tell me what New Zealand's attitude is toward tipping? Thank you.

Tipping is not part of their culture, at least the two times I was there in 1995 and 1998. And you know what? Service was every bit as good as in cultures where tipping is the norm and, in fact, expected as a due perk of their job regardless of whether they provide good service or not.

We have used the Pinnacle as a breakfast restaurant on the Noordam -as Suite guests. I prefer that because it is SO PEACEFUL and I also eat LESS [ If I don't SEE it -I don't ORDER it] On our month's cruise in May 2006 we ate there most days. We had mainly 2 of the wait-staff, a young woman we loved dearly from France and a young man from Indonesia. at the end of our cruise we tipped those two as we would have in the main dining room.

On the World Cruise/Amsterdam recently -Suite guests were seated in the lower dining room on the Starboard side for breakfast/lunch -and we again, CHOSE to eat there MOST days. Roy, Hendro, and Ceppy were our REGULAR waiters there -and they were SO SPECIAL; We tipped each of them at the end of the cruise because we WANTED to. $200 each -for 105 day cruise. This was extra; NOT the assigned -which we left in place.

Archived