If no one's there to tip, do crew get it?

I just returned from the 5/12-19 sailing of Empress of the Seas. It was extremely rough the last night, and many people didn't come to dinner, including our tablemates. However, the wife did show up briefly to say good-bye, but she didn't bring her tip envelopes.

She asked our waiter if he would receive his tip anyway because they had supposedly gotten vouchers. He said yes, but he didn't look too happy, and I wonder if he was just saying that to be polite. (Think about it. If he'd said "No," she'd have been embarrassed and he'd sound like a whiner. Very awkward all around. :( )

So the question is, if the crew don't have the vouchers in hand, can they collect the tip from RCI, or does unclaimed tip money just go into a pool to be distributed across the board? In the dining room, I don't see how the office would know who gets what with people changing tables, etc, if the staff don't present the vouchers. The Seapasses don't get updated.

Does anyone know how this works?

First if you change tables, you should let them know so they can note it. It might not read the right table on your seapass card, but believe me they know where you are sitting. I got a replacement seapass 2 weeks ago on my cruise and it had my new table assignment on it.

The tips get applied directly to their pay from what I understand, so no worries. Maybe he did not look happy because he might not be feeling too well either. The crew gets sea sick too.

I'm sure he will get his tip, but with vouchers, they have to wait until the next pay date. That's why they prefer cash! It's immediate, and if you tip above the norm, no one knows but the recipient!

I'm sure he will get his tip, but with vouchers, they have to wait until the next pay date. That's why they prefer cash! It's immediate, and if you tip above the norm, no one knows but the recipient!

After the initial delay, they receive their tips on a regular basis, so there really is no real advantage to giving them cash. A cash tip may increase this week's take, but next week, their tip will be lower by that amount. If you wish to tip above the norm, you can always place extra cash in the envelope along with the voucher, so again the method of payment is irrelevant. In the long run, it all balances out. If you have tips added to your account, I am sure that the appropriate service staff will get them, whether or not you get the vouchers to them.:)

We used the vouchers, but I added extra cash to the envelopes because he and his assistant gave us great service. Maybe he looked disappointed because not receiving the envelope killed any chance he had of getting a little extra from that couple.

Thanks for all your insights. I once made a transatlantic crossing on the Norway when tips were cash-only with a distinctly miserable contingent of Florida seniors who got a great deal. They did nothing but complain about everything and made the crew miserable. They even had the concierge talking about retirement, and she'd been on the ship for YEARS.

On the last night, the dining room was virtually empty. The sea wasn't rough. Those poor waiters were all getting stiffed and they knew it.

But the kicker was that most of the retirees were making the return crossing! If they didn't like the service going over, it certainly wasn't going to get any better going back after they pulled that stunt.

I felt lucky to be getting off in France because things were about to get real ugly. :eek:

Archived