What can the weather be like cruizng from Seattle to Alaska

Hey you experienced cruisers, what is the weather like leaving from Seattle to Alaska, is it cold, rainning, or what? I know Seattle can be very rainning at times, just w:) ondering? We leave next Fri.?

We did the Seattle round trip last july...I know there is a 2 month difference here since your leaving next week, but I thought since no one else has answered you, I thought I would share our departure...First of all you might get better advice in the alaska threads...Anyway.......

We got to Seattle in the middle of the best weather that city had seen in years...Even the pilot flew real close to Mt. Reiner because it didnt have a cloud on it...He said it was very unusual...Getting to the ship from the airport was easy...Temps were in the 80's...Boarding was fast and easy...We left on time and the scenery was beautiful....Seeing Seattle from the sound was an experience...Dont miss it...

All things smooth until we hit the open pacific...I dont know what weather conditions you will have when you go but there were a couple of storm systems way out in the pacific sending huge swells...We were in 25ft seas for the first day ...Of course after that your inland so the ocean has no effect...But when we went inland, we hit fog...No rain, just fog...Temps were in the 40's at night and the 50's day time...Not cold, but you will need jackets...Alaska was gorgous even with the foggy condititons..We didnt get to see all that there was to see, but that just means we will have to go back...Our last stop, Victoria, was bright and sunny as it was the first day leaving...Beautiful city to just walk around and see the sights...

I hope you have a great cruise and dont let what ever conditions you run into ruin the cruise...Alaska is a gorgous place, no matter what...

Post a review when you get back...

:D

We sailed on the Vision on last year's 6/2 sailing. The weather was in the 50's pretty much the whole trip. We were comfy with a jacket or sweatshirt. We really didn't have much rain, but it was overcast a lot of the time.

I'm with Nancy... you really have to be prepared for a wide range of weather conditions... As a best case, it could be in the high 70's and sunny... or it could be around 50 deg and raining. It really doesn't matter when you are going... it's pretty unpredictable all summer.

You really need to be prepared with layers.... We bring t-shirts and jeans as a base layer. Then I bring a button-down sweater to wear over the t-shirts. A fleece jacket that I can potentially wear over the sweater and rain gear that will fit over the fleece if its cold and rainy or over just the t-shirt if it's warm and rainy. Don't forget a hat and mittens, it can be especially cold by the glaciers.

I recommend rain gear with hood... an umbrella is not the best option. Sometimes the wind will blow when it's rainy and I've seen quite a few umbrellas turned inside out.

Wishing you sunny skies.... Have a great cruise! :)

We did that same itinerary almost exactly this time last year. Everybody is right on: it's unpredictable, so be prepared with layers.

However, there's one more thing I thought I'd share. I'm a Rocky Mountain gal so I'm used to cold temperatures, plus I tend to run warm anyway . . . but I seriously underestimated how cold it would get just on the balcony!! Especially when I stood up by the railing, exposed to the wind. I had to buy some gloves and a hat at our first port stop. :o And like I said, this was late May/early June.

We are sailing on the same cruise as you are. Hope to meet you at the meet an mingle. I live up here in the Pacific Northwest. It might be 50 degrees outside but out on the deck if the wind is blowing you will need your fleece on over your shirt to keep warm.

As we say up here if you don't like the weather right now just wait 5 minutes I will change.

Archived