What to do after disembarking in Seward

We are on the Mariner and end up in Seward on the 27th of June. Our flight out of Anchorage isn't until 9pm that evening. Any suggestions of how to spend the day and what to do with our luggage?

Thanks, we are relatively new here and the help has been great.

Bob

We are on the same cruise, and are staying over for several more days. We booked the Kenai Fjords Glacier Tour at 11:30, following which we are on Alaska Rail to Anchorage. Kenai Fjords will pick us up at the ship, store our luggage for the day in their offices, and take us to the train after the glacier tour. They arranged the train trip, and sent us the tickets.

I am afraid that after the cruise we may be "glaciered out" but the tour is highly recommended on these boards particularly by the legendary Budget Queen. In previous years, Regent has offered a similar trip, which is where we got the idea; for some reason it's not offered this year.

The train leaves at 6, but does not get in to Anchorage until 10:15 pm, which would not work for you. Kenai Fjords can also get you to Anchorage by tour bus, which I understand is much faster than the train. They also have tours at other times than the one we are on. They have a web site - I recommend you take a look. If you're interested in their program, give them a call and tell them what you want to do and when you have to be at the airport.

Personally, I would rent a car in Seward then drive up to Anchorage seeing the sights along the way. You could stop by the glacier just outside of Seward, then up closer to Anchorage, there is a place where they rescue wild animals that have been orphaned or hurt in accidents and rehabilitate them. That is one of my favorite places in Alaska, as you can see the animals up close, but it is not really a zoo. The entire trip with stopping to see things will easily take a day. Then have a nice dinner in Anchorage or better yet, in Girdwood at the Jack Sprat, and then head for the airport.

Thanks GATKLT and Rachel for your suggestions. It certainly is nice to get input from others who are going to or already have experienced the trip.

GATKLT...as you are on the same cruise maybe we will meet up onboard. If you would like to exchange info please let me know.

Bob Davis

bobdavis2201@earthlink.net

We are going to arrive in anchorage and need to get down to seward. We looked into renting a car and were unable to. They were sold out. You will probably need to get a private agency for transport. We are traveling in July and started planning over a month ago.

I posted a similar question a while ago. YOu might look for the tread. I was given several names of other agencies. Good luck. I know I can't wait.

The thread questioned transportation b/s anchorage and seward.

We are going to be on your cruise crise!

We have cruised from Seward before. We will again fly into Anchorage the day before. Last time we took the Alaskan Railroad to Seward. It stops right at the dock. It arrives at the time you can board the ship !

Very convenient. You can get the tickets online. They have a very nice diningcar where we had brunch.

I prefer cruising from Seward down to Vancover. The long fight is first.

When a cruise is over, I am ready to go home and want it as easy as possible.

You are right about the rental car thing. We had one reserved in Anchorage last summer. Our plane was 2 hrs late, so they gave it away. The rental agency didn't even care, would do nothing to help us. We ended up having to pay over $600 for a van. I was so mad, but they had fine print on the rental reservation (made over the internet) that said if you didn't pick up the car on time, they could give it to someone else.

OrlandoCouple2007,

If you can, definitely rent a car at Hertz in Seward and drive to Anchorage. We just returned yesterday, and that is what we did. It was great. There is a mile marker guide for this drive at:

milebymile.com, Alaska, State Highway #9, Seward Alaska to Anchorage Alaska , that was very helpful and informative.

We first stopped at Exit Glacier right outside of Seward. Plan on maybe a couple of hours here depending on how much walking you can do. Take the nature trail around and up to the Glacier and then the high trail. There is abundant moose along these trails and frequent sightings. There are also bears (black/brown/grizzly) in the area. We just missed seeing a grizzly and cub (reported by ranger) and moose with two calves (but lots of droppings!).

There is beautiful scenary along the way and we saw moose, sheep, baby owls, eagles, waterfowl.

We were in Alaska last summer. Due to pod problems(engine) on the Mariner we missed Denali park anded up two nights in Anchorage.

We really got to like Anchorage

Take train or bus into Anchorage.

Suggested Day Activites:

- Take the city bus tour

- See the Anchorage museum

- lMax type movie on Denali Park

- A MUST - Have Dinner at Simon & Seafort's

Absolutely one of the most delicious meals I've ever had.

Great view looking over the water. Save room for the cobbler.

Steak / Seafood Restaurant

420 L Street

Anchorage, AK 99501-1925

+1 907 274 3502

reservations: http://www.r-u-i.com/sim/

Archived