Where to Stay in Maui??

JudyOh

It depends on the experience you want when on Maui and the time of year. Personally, I avoid the Kaanapali area because I like quieter places with fewer crowds. We've stayed at the Hyatt there and it was okay - no complaints. We've also stayed a few times at the Alii condominiums. They have fantastic ocean front 2 bedroom condo's and it's within walking distance of restaurants and shopping. I like the idea of a condo when it's that conveniently located and it's nice to get up and have coffee and breakfast without room service intrusion or having to get dressed. The service is very good there.

But I really prefer the Wailea area. There's still somewhat of a boardwalk along the beach and if you're there during off-season (not summer, holidays or spring break) it's quiet. The Kea Lani looks to be a great value since all the rooms are suites and it's getting good reviews since Fairmont took over. I love the Four Seasons but only off-season since the pool area is undersized and gets very crowded. The Grand Wailea is tolerable only if you have kids who would enjoy the outrageous pools. Otherwise, avoid that hotel. I know there are a few other hotels and condos in that area but I am not familiar with them.

The Wailea resorts suggested by seabreezer are great, no question about that, but it depends on your budget. The Four Seasons isn't cheap (not even off season), nor are the Grand Wailea or Kea Lani. For all these resorts, plan on spending a minimum of $300 a night. I'm not saying this is bad; just giving you an idea of prices. It might help if we knew what price range you have in mind and what types of amenities you are looking for in particular (if any).

beachchick

I've actually enjoyed my stays at the Grand Wailea quite a bit ... and the pools definitely are fantastic, easily the best of all the resorts in Wailea. The hydrotherapy spa at the Grand Wailea is to die for. My biggest problem with the Grand Wailea is the overpriced and mediocre food in the restaurants. What didn't you care about the Grand Wailea, seabreezer?

Spleen

Spleen,

The Grand Wailea has declined in service, cleanliness and food quality. Even the spa baths were filthy last time I was there. Our room also seemed in need of updating as well. It didn't help that we were there during spring break and every hot tub was literally overflowing with kids as was the steam room at the pool - wall to wall kids! We had our son with us and he had a great time but we couldn't use the adults only pool. The highlight of this hotel is the pool area and if that's a priority then you just have to tolerate the rest. Going off-season could probably help too. I also think because we really love the Four Seasons on Maui and the Big Island and prefer smaller boutique hotels when we travel we've been spoiled. I think it's just what one prefers - we like peace and quiet and excellent service and that doesn't happen at The Grand Wailea.

I too have stayed at the Grand Wailea several times and love it. The pools are great, but the beach area is even better. The restaurants are pricey but go along with that class of resort. My wife absolutely loves the spa, one of the largest in the world at, I believe, 50000 square feet. The public areas of this place are too die for, with Botero Statues all throughout the very large main lobby area. I believe all rooms are at least 635 square feet or better, with really great bathrooms. The only turnoff I had was with some of the help being indifferent to me and my concerns. A matter easily taken care of by their manager. The last time I was there for a week, our rental car never left the parking gargage except to take us back to the airport.

I've actually enjoyed my stays at the Grand Wailea quite a bit ... and the pools definitely are fantastic, easily the best of all the resorts in Wailea. The hydrotherapy spa at the Grand Wailea is to die for. My biggest problem with the Grand Wailea is the overpriced and mediocre food in the restaurants. What didn't you care about the Grand Wailea, seabreezer?

Spleen

My wife and I stayed at the Kaanapali Shores this past May and loved it. The garden view one-bedroom unit met our every expectation and the large lanai was wonderful (especially in the early evening when the birds were the most active). The on-site restaurant was excellent and the help were very friendly and efficient. Here is a link to our pix of the Kaanapali Shores: Kaanapali Shores pix You have the convenience of a grocery store right across the street from the resort and there is also an excellent Pizza/Pasta/Ice Cream Parlor (Pizza Paradisio) next to the grocery. Just to reassure you, this is not a new property, but the unit we stayed in had new carpeting and new furniture. All of the appliances worked fine and the air conditioning was very adequate. Best of all, this property has a wonderful, mature, immaculately maintained garden area with streams, pools, and koi. We would not hesitate to stay there again!:)

Craig

Ohhhhhh.... we were married at the Aston Kaanapali shores. We loved it. Now that was 7 years ago. But it was truly wonderful. To the poster who said they avoided the Kaanapali area, I don't blame you, but this hotel isn't on the main strip.

What are the reviews like? we honestly loved it, it was a great vacation/honeymoon, we were there for two weeks. We even had our wedding reception/dinner in the little onsite restaurant. It was a fabulous place.

Glad to see some good reviews. As far as what we want, something nice, doesn't have to be elegant, just a nice comfortable place. We are not big "beach people" love to explore and see the sights, so it would not be a place that we would spend all of our time. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!;)

I stayed at Aston Kaanapali Shores several years ago and really enjoyed it. We had a one bedroom condo with a beautiful ocean and garden view. The only drawback is the beach-if you could call it that! Very narrow and not the best for swimming. I've also stayed at Ritz Carlton Kapalua, Kaanapali Beach Hotel, and Lahaina Shores. The Kaanapali Beach Hotel had the best staff! So friendly you feel like ohana. Lahaina Shores is great if you want to be right in Lahaina town and don't want to swim from your hotel (beach isn't good there, either). The Ritz if pretty fancy and expensive, but very enjoyable. Good luck!

Archived