What's the difference between Premium Cruising (Sun Princess) & P&O Domestic Variety?

Greetings everyone, :)

I have only cruised P&O, and only on the Sun, so can those who have cruised on the other lines please tell us what day-to-day differences there are with 'premium cruising' as opposed to our domestic variety?

It would be great if we could have a detailed list. It would let us know what we can look forward to and perhaps be amazed at the difference. :D

Will be able to answer that when we cruise on the new Emerald Princess in September to the Greek Islands. What attracted me to Princess? the chance to sail on a new ship,the maiden voyage was April, anytime dining, it is a port intensive cruise so the choice of eating when we like attracted me, room service breakfast, only sailed on the Pacifc Sky before so the change to sit on a balcony with a cold glass of wine does it for me and just the sheer indulgence!!

CruiseKidz

Hi there,

We cruised in Feb on the Pacific Princess..under the banner of P&O premium crusing.

We have cruised with both over the years, and the differences is mostly in the ships themselves.

The newer Princess ships are more "plush"..if you like, a lot more facilities etc, a lot bigger or newer -generally.

The menus were quite similar, except for a few items, and the staff and crew were the same on both. The food was great also. I think things like the wine list were more extensive on the premium. The toiletries were slightly different too, and the bed linen was upgraded. Entertainment was much better. Tipping was a couple $ dearer.

The Australian market has been demanding better ships and itineraries recently, and it's wonderful news that we will be having these ships here permanently.

We have just booked the Sun Princess from Perth...21 days next May- through Asia and back to Perth.

Anyway..all ships are good,,sure beats working..hope this helps...:D ..we are always happy when at sea!

S&D

41272307.gif.525785117c6109bfe45d60a6b324fccf.gif

I have only cruised P&O, and only on the Sun, so can those who have cruised on the other lines please tell us what day-to-day differences there are with 'premium cruising' as opposed to our domestic variety?

It would be great if we could have a detailed list. It would let us know what we can look forward to and perhaps be amazed at the difference. :D

Space - Tonnes per Passenger ratio. Allows for less waiting for service & ammenities and more elbow room for us old folks with our walking frames:D.

eg

Pacific Sun - 47000 tonne, 1900 pax (24.7 tonnes) vs Sun Princess 77500 tonne, 1950 Pax (39.7 tonnes)

Pacific Dawn - 70000 tonne, 2050 pax (34.1 tonnes) vs Regal Princess 70000 tonne 1590 Pax (44 tonnes) - same ship - P&O spec vs Princess spec

The differences.... bigger, more modern ships. There is also less 3/4 berth cabins, as the market is aimed at the 'older' end of the scale. There isn't as much of a relaxed atmosphere (ie Clothing requirements), and not much of a 'party' atmosphere.

There is an actual theatre and not a showlounge. There is also better Gym and Spa facilities. There is also a Golf Driving Range.

With regards to differences between the Pacifc Dawn and Sun Princess, there will be a few. The Sun Princess will have a higher space ratio, more balconies and suites to choose from. Also the Sun Princess will have the Panoramic lifts.

Have a look at the Sun Princess brochure or Princess website, and it will give you an idea of what to expect.

hope this helps...:)

Hi Brushtail....the difference in premium cruising... is mostly the ship and surroundings...

the ambience...

more upmarket furnishings..

upgraded toiletries. and bedlinen.

varied restaurants... at an extra cost of course.

better grade of guest artists.

a feeling of luxury compared to a family oriented ship.

(that is probably why more mature passengers go...not many children)

dining is very well presented.

a larger variety of alcoholic drinks.

the duty free shops on board are far superior.

I find with Princess...more daytime activities..in port and at sea.

the service is the same on both...you pay $5.50 per day domestic.. $10.00 plus on premium ships.

isn't it the old saying...you get what you pay for...

I travel both, and still prefer the atmosphere of our domestic grade ships.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Room service on Princess ships is complimentary, on P&O you pay for it.

i.e. you want a late nights snack inyour cabin, no charge on Princess.

Gym is complimentary on Princess..saunas, exercise eqpt. on P&O you pay for that or not ?

Princess is supposed to have better standard of menu then P&0 ?

Not a lot of difference really, and don't forget Princess want you to pay tips of US$10 per day per passenger, less on P&O !!

Actually Americans do not consider Princess as premium cruising..Holland America and Silverseas yes, but not Princess, middle of the road to them.

Hi, I'm new here.

I have done 2 cruises

Superstar Leo from Sydney (when it came here because of the SARS virus)

Diamond Princess Vancouver to Whittier (last week)

My daughter and I are booked on the Pacific Sun in 6 weeks.

I'm hoping I won't be disapointed after the last 2 cruises (which were amazing). I've noticed the dining options aren't as broad. I quite like the anytime dining options I've had on the last 2 cruises.

Mind you, anything is better than working.

Hi, I'm new here.

I have done 2 cruises

Superstar Leo from Sydney (when it came here because of the SARS virus)

Diamond Princess Vancouver to Whittier (last week)

My daughter and I are booked on the Pacific Sun in 6 weeks.

I'm hoping I won't be disapointed after the last 2 cruises (which were amazing).

Prepare to be disappointed.

The Australian market has been demanding better ships and itineraries recently, and it's wonderful news that we will be having these ships here permanently.

Do you know if they will keep similar itineraries each visit?

ie: Tasmania in February on Sun Princess?

Cheers

Thanks for the warning tgard76.:p

Welcome to the boards sayaguru. I'm in a similar 'boat' to you.;) After 3 cruises on the mega ships of the US of A, I'm cruising on the Pacific Sun in October.

PS. How did you find the Diamond and Alaska?

Hi there Tropical showers...

I have no idea what they are planning, and even when they do give out information on a cruise, they can CANCEL..which is what they have done to our 100+ members of our roll call group...still..we just have to rally round and re book other cruises... and hope all goes to plan this time!!:o

We love Princess despite this recent turn of events... got to love those ships!!

41272307.gif.1e36a3d03953baac59007513bfe5b838.gif

Hi

Tipping is suggested at $8.00pp per day and you will be able to have auto tipping turned off. We were told that although this is a Princess ship it will be operating under P.O Australia rules, such as, and wait for it........no alcohol to be taken onboard...lol..... One thing they changed which we were looking forward to was the anytime dining, oh well guess we will catch up with it on another ship and yep anything is better than work.... cheers shiona

R

Gym is complimentary on Princess..saunas, exercise eqpt. on P&O you pay for that or not ?

You don't pay for the gym on the Pacific Sun or Pacific Star, but I imagine the gym on the Princess is much bigger.

Hi there Tropical showers...

I have no idea what they are planning, and even when they do give out information on a cruise, they can CANCEL..which is what they have done to our 100+ members of our roll call group...still..we just have to rally round and re book other cruises... and hope all goes to plan this time!!:o

We love Princess despite this recent turn of events... got to love those ships!!

Hi guys, I am really sorry to hear about your Sydney to SF cruise, I can't imagine the disappointment.

Hope you manage to rebook on another great cruise soon and I am sure you will only improve the atmosphere on that ship with your positive attitudes.

Kevin and Kerry

Hey there Kevin and Kerry,

Hows about joining us on this one....we have a roll call going already...we have done this cruise twice already..a wonderful, wonderful itinerary..and no international airfares either...goes Perth back to Perth for 3 weeks..woo hoo!!..:D :D

link here..

http://www.bestcruises.com.au/cruise/display/16846?itinerary=72690

3 weeks on the Sun..think of all that shopping in Asia!!! Quite reasonably priced too...;)

S&D:)

41272307.gif.19dbe9cd85cf5efc602b1245b0bb351e.gif

Hey there Kevin and Kerry,

Hows about joining us on this one....we have a roll call going already...we have done this cruise twice already..a wonderful, wonderful itinerary..and no international airfares either...goes Perth back to Perth for 3 weeks..woo hoo!!..:D :D

link here..

http://www.bestcruises.com.au/cruise/display/16846?itinerary=72690

3 weeks on the Sun..think of all that shopping in Asia!!! Quite reasonably priced too...;)

S&D:)

I would have loved to, however with our cruise December/January, I don't think I could get another break in so soon. The joys of business;)

I hope you enjoy it, and will love reading about it .

Catch you soon

Thanks for the warning tgard76.:p

Welcome to the boards sayaguru. I'm in a similar 'boat' to you.;) After 3 cruises on the mega ships of the US of A, I'm cruising on the Pacific Sun in October.

PS. How did you find the Diamond and Alaska?

We loved the Alaskan cruise. We had amazing weather. No rain ( which is rare) and sunshine. The ship was lovely and the entertainement, lounges etc were great. The layout of the ship is much better onj Spuerstar Leo. Diamond doesn't take avantage of the views. Their Wake Bar has 4 small port holes and the theatre is at the front ofr the ship. On the Superstar Leo there is a great bar at the front of the ship with full glass windows on 3 sides. You can sit in lounges around the edges or dance etc in the middle. They have entertainment there everynight.

Their silver service restaurant is at the back of the ship which is all glass with a view right across the bow of the ship (amazing). When we boarded he ship everyone just stopped and went "WOW". The atrium is quite spectacular.

My expectations aren't unrealistic for the Pacific Sun cruise. The price was too cheap to pass up so my daughter and I decided to have a mum, daughter time away. Since she's become serious with her boyfriend we don't get to do a lot of things together so I'm looking forward to it.

Just lazing around reading a book on the beach ande seeing a few shows, having nice meals made (and no washing up) will satisfy me.

Jenny,

Princess = "No Rust"

P&O Australia = "Constantly Painting over the Rust" :)

David

Jenny,

Princess = "No Rust"

P&O Australia = "Constantly Painting over the Rust" :)

David

LOL!!:p

The public areas of the Sun Princess look in good shape, though the cabins, like the Regal/P. Dawn, look like they're in dire need of a freshen up. Just my thoughts....:rolleyes:

Dress of course is different. Guidelines are expected to be adhered to, especially in the evening.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

Jeans are allowed during the Daytime for breakfast and Lunch, but not allowed in the Dining Rooms for Dinner. Shorts are definately a no no at dinner.

Wow Shiona I cant believe you brought up the alcohol thing:D

"So where shall I start!"ha ha ,only joking:p Den.

Hi

Tipping is suggested at $8.00pp per day and you will be able to have auto tipping turned off. We were told that although this is a Princess ship it will be operating under P.O Australia rules, such as, and wait for it........no alcohol to be taken onboard...lol..... One thing they changed which we were looking forward to was the anytime dining, oh well guess we will catch up with it on another ship and yep anything is better than work.... cheers shiona

Archived