PG - August 22, 2007

Well, I figured I would divulge my next Regent cruise. It has been planned for quite a while and I was waiting to see if anyone posted about it. Final payment has been made and now we just waiting for the fun to begin.

Anyone else going?

Hi! I was beginning to think no one was going! There are four in our party. This is our third trip to "paradise" and first on the PG. We will be at the Radisson for 2 days pretrip and in Moorea for 3 nights posttrip. Seems like we've been waiting forever. We booked in December and we finally getting close.

Hello. We are doing a night in Hawaii and then 4 at the Intercontinental in Tahiti in an over the water bungalow pre-cruise. I know Moorea and Bora Bora are probably better choices, but we are looking to just relax before the cruise.

Do your four include children as ours does?

BTW, I booked this back in August, so we have really been waiting. (We did cruise a bit in between, so it hasn't been that difficult.)

Hey Judy:

This is cruise 20 somethin' for me as well. I am in my late 40s and my wife is er, humm, 29...OK she has been 29 for a few...OK more than a few...years, so I can't match you on anniversaries.

We have cruised the Med quite a bit and I travel there for my other business fairly often. My wife has also spent a good bit of pre-marriage time there.

I am usually a "Let's go do this" kind of guy, so kicking back will be a nice change. I plan on enjoying some of the Ambassadors of the Environment stuff with my kids. Should be interesting, since I have a degree in marine biology. (I am a bit rusty on some topics, but I love it.)

Eric, Between you and our travel companion we will learn all there is to know about fish. He's active in that field. Snorkling with him is a kick as you spot a fish and he can tell you what it is, how long a gestation period they have, and all kinds of info you never thought you wanted to know. Should be fun. Will get back to this in a week. We're off to Las Vegas in the morning. Got to get warm somehow. My DH is trying to research Rangiroa. Have you any ideas? We're not divers. Snorkling and relaxing on the beach is our thing. Judy

I am just getting my research going on the various islands as I have just been too darn busy. Hopefully this weekend. But as our agenda is pretty much the same as yours - snorkeling and relaxing - it hasn't been high on my critical list. I will get back to you...thanks for giving me a week!:D

Sounds like your friend and I should be able to bore the pants off of everyone. My idea of the perfect pet for my son: A snowflake moray eel. (His name is George.) He eats right out of your hand...just make sure you have 5 fingers when he is done!;)

Enjoy Vegas. Here in New Jersey it was 90 yesterday.

Sailed the PG in 2005....and will be returning this Dec 1.

This time it will be for a longer than 7 day sailing.

Please write about your experience, the state of the ship and service.

As I am booked at the Radisson Hotel for 2 nights precruise....please comment. I have stayed at the Beachcomber in the past and loved it...but wanted to try something different. Also hope to do a tour of the island of Tahiti (Patricks tours).....would like to see the island in depth. If anyone does this please comment.

Best wishes for most memorable cruise. I will be on the westerdam out of Italy while you are on the PG...I'll raise a glass and toast to your PG experience.

Tom

Greetings to all, and hello to my favorite cc (i.e., cruise companion), Judy. My husband and are the other half of Love Cruising 7-11's foursome and counting the days. We too look forward to getting warm, as SOCAL is not the tropics. Our interests are snorkeling, relaxing, and more snorkeling. I'm just starting my research, but here are some observations and questions.

RE Rangiroa, my impression from the odd posting and various websites is that this may be the only place on our itinerary where one can snorkel from the island itself, without being taken to a motu or deep-water site. I've also seen mention of the fact that the Paul Gauguin provides a free shuttle service around the island. Does anyone know if these tidbits are true? One of us may want to do the drift snorkel through Tiputa Pass, and I've read that the Aquarium is a wonderful, shallow-water snorkeling site, but it's not clear to me if it's accessible from the beach. I've contacted Cosette et Pascal regarding a private, small group tour that would include both these places, but I've not heard back.

RE Bora Bora, I've seen mention of a "fabulous" private motu, with food and drink, snorkeling, and transport, all provided gratis, by the Paul Gauguin. Does anyone know anything about this? We would love to repeat the private tour we had with Johnny during our post-cruise (Tahitian Princess) stay on Bora Bora in 2003. We don't want to feed the sharks, and we don't need to pet the rays. We just want to return to the same wonderful snorkeling sites. Johnny is no longer around, of course, and I've been referred to Teiva Tours, Keisha Tours, and Damien. So far, all sound like the same round-the-lagoon-with-the-full-cast-of-characters-itinerary. Maybe a personalized tour would best be arranged at the dock?

RE Raitea - Taha'a, I noticed that someone was looking for another couple to do Bruno's tour. I'm very glad we did this one in 2003, but we don't need to see the vanilla plantation again, and we don't want another picnic with reef fish on the menu. We do, however, want to do the shallow water drift snorkel that was part of Bruno's tour. One of us is not comfortable in deep water and has been focused on returning to that site and the ones on Bora Bora for four years.

RE Huahine, I was debating about Marc's tour again, when Judy reminded me we don't arrive in time. What a short time on that island! I saw a post where the person said the PG transported everyone (gratis) to a "wonderful beach". ???

In addition to the freebies that get mentioned in past cruisers' posts, does anyone know anything about the PG's excursions in general? I think I can speak for the four of us when I say we're all pretty negative about ship's tours; do we need to rethink things for the PG?

Looking forward to reading further posts from all.

Mary Sue

My wife and I are celebrating our anniversary (22nd) on the PG on this trip. We are in our mid-40's. We have never cruised before, and have never been to FP before. This cruise seemed ideal for having a great cruise experience and seeing some of the most beautiful scenery on earth. It's also giving us a chance to brush up on our french (which was never fluent, but which may come in handy). We are very excited about the trip. We are traveling through Hawaii also, spending a couple nights there, and then doing a pre-cruise on Moorea for a few days. We are looking forward to having a great trip with all of you.

Ralph

Quite a good bunch for Aug. 22! Yay! Haven't been on PG since 2004 and curious to see changes. Glad such a fun group going! Did the 7-day so this wil be a bit different. Looks like many of you doing Hawaii and pre-hotels. From LA, I just go straight from here to the ship! The day flight on Air Tahiti seems easier. I've been dreaming of the waverunner around Bora Bora for 3 years! See ya!:cool:

That was a roll call for a 2006 sailing on August 23rd! Be sure to be onboard on August 22nd this year. A day at the dock with no ship would be very depressing.:eek:

Usually roll calls for Regent stay on this board as there generally is not wide interest in Regent compared to the larger lines.

Mary Sue,

I will give you my perspective on your questions.

I have never been to Rangirora, but that location is all "motus" since the main island has receded into the lagoon. I would really like to try that stop sometime since I have heard amazing things about the SCUBA there. My experience at Tikehau, much smaller similar lagoon was outstanding.

The Bora Bora motu is great but there is no food to speak of, they do have an open bar. The snorkeling is good there and the beach is nice. the Motu Mahana at Tahaa is where you have all the frills, food drink, entertainment etc. The water was clearer at Motu Mahana and much shallower than at the Bora Bora motu the three times we have been on the PG.

All of the excursions we have been on in FP were great, we only did those provided through Regent. I can understand why someone who is hard core snorkeler, or SCUBA for that matter, would want to do a local operator. The excursions from Regent are sort of lowest common demonator trips. They aren't challenging and are limited in the amount of time in the water. They were good for us because my wife isn't part fish like me and gets chilled and tired.

Hope this info is helpful.

Hi egret,

OK, that explains a lot about Rangiroa and the snorkeling there.

Did any of your Regent excursions include a shallow-water drift snorkel between two uninhabited motu (Raiatea/Taha'a)?

Thanks so much for the information. I'm sorry, as it doesn't sound like you're going with us.

Mary Sue

Duly noted. Sorry if I confused anyone other than myself. The funny thing is that I noticed the "mistake" in the day and thought the person was just taking liberties with the date, since we don't actually sail until the 23rd. But the 2006? Duhhh.

That was a roll call for a 2006 sailing on August 23rd! Be sure to be onboard on August 22nd this year. A day at the dock with no ship would be very depressing.:eek:

Usually roll calls for Regent stay on this board as there generally is not wide interest in Regent compared to the larger lines.

Error duly noted. Sorry if I confused anyone other than myself. The funny thing is: I noticed the error in the day and thought the poster was just taking liberties with the date, since we don't actually sail until the 23rd. But the 2006 ... duhhh.

Mary Sue

Error duly noted. Sorry if I confused anyone toher than myself. The funny thing is: I noticed the error in the day and thought the poster was just taking liberties with the date, since we don't actually sail until the 23rd. But the 2006 ... duhhh.

Mary Sue

Duly noted. Sorry if I confused anyone other than myself. The funny thing is that I noticed the "mistake" in the day and thought the person was just taking liberties with the date, since we don't actually sail until the 23rd. But the 2006? Duhhh.

This reply was supposed to have quoted Iamboatman's message correcting my error.

Mary Sue:

I've contacted Cosette and Pascal, too, but also have not heard back yet. My wife and I also want to do that excursion. I've contacted a different operator as well, and will let you know what I learn.

Ralph

We are four of the seven travelling together. My husband and I are early 40's traveling with teens 16 and 18. I did notice another post travelling with kids....what are their ages? I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about this trip. Can't wait to get going. We're spending a pre-cruise trip in Bora Bora with over the water bungalow's....I really still can't get my head around that. We've cruised 8 times previously but to Bermuda and some of the Caribbean. This is, I am told, something totally different!

Looking forward to meeting everyone on board!

Archived