attire

Formal night you will see dark suits or tuxedos on the gentlemen, and everything from cocktail dresses to ball gowns on the ladies. While you wouldn't be blocked entrance for a linen suit, your DH might not feel so comfortable in the dining room. Khakis would really stand out on formal night. If you don't have formal wear, consider a consignment store, clearance sales, or even borrowing from friends & family!

For other nights your DH can certainly fit right in with khakis, a shirt and tie (or no tie) and a jacket. Ladies wear everything from dresses to pant suits, to skirts and cute tops. No shorts ever in the dining room for dinner, and jeans are not supposed to be worn in the evening. You do see some people in them, but they are on the "not to wear" list that the cruise line provides.

If you don't want to dress up on formal evening then you can always eat in the Windjammer cafe, or have room service. Many people make that choice instead. However, it is fun to dress up because you can have your photo taken when you're all dolled up!

Windjammer Cafe is a casual buffet - - alternative to the dining room. There are many choices, but I found that the food was better in the dining room.

If you want to avoid formal night, but don't want to miss out on the food offered that evening, simply order room service. Anything on the dining room menu is available from room service.

Lobster tails are often served on formal night.

Windjammer Cafe is the big buffet. They serve breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, etc. Depending on the ship they may have a pasta bar, ice cream bar, omelet bar, sushi, and other specialty items. They normally have a pretty huge selection of main courses, plus salads, soups, appetizers, desserts, breads, and almost anything else you can imagine. Windjammer is great for those nights when you don't want to dress up and go to the dining room, or if you are just hungry anytime!

On some of the ships they have nice tablecloths at dinner, and you can always get bar service (beer, wine, drinks) at lunch or dinner.

Are tuxedo' and coctail dresses necessary for formal night? What about a linen pants suit for DH and Khaki's for DS. What are dining options if you don't want to eat in the main dining room? Sorry I am a newbie

I've only cruised once before and have our second one planned for July 14th.

I've had this argument on this board before...but I'm going to give my perspective anyway so you'll have another viewpoint.

Wear what your DH and DS will be comfortable wearing. It is your vacation. You should wear what makes you feel most comfortable. As long as you aren't in shorts or a bathing suit, no one will say anything to you. The suggested attire on the RCL website is listed as "suggested guidelines"...not hard and fast rules. If your DH will feel uncomfortable in khakis when most others are in suits, then he could dress more formally. My dh will wear khakis on formal nights and wear jeans the rest of the time as that is how he is most comfortable.

Just another person's view...

Jen

definitely visit your local thrift store and consignment shops often, I bought a beaded silver and black top at Goodwill for $4.95 and palazza pants at Ross for $7.95. you dont have to spend thousands of dollars and you may even know someone your size who would gladly loan you an outfit to wear. DH rents tux from cruise line, that way he doesnt have to worry about transporting it or forgetting something, and the man in the house could wear a suit - also found at your local stores or Men's Wearhouse - (they will alter if you gain or lose weight) for a small charge. DH gained weight and couldnt wear his slacks - they altered them for $14.95 - not a bad price in my book

This is also Royal Caribbean's link...note that it says "suggested" guidelines...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000OCmLqjcxsEl7E17wC31IqTA:10ktdmnut?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

My point is that no one will kick you out of the dining room for wearing khakis or not wearing a tie, so if that is what you are more comfortable wearing, it's fine. If you are NOT comfortable being underdressed, dress up. To each his own...

Jen

nycruiser1975, I just wrote a Newbie Cruise Survival Guide for my sister this morning. She's going on her first cruise in a few months, and since I've been cruising for 34 years, she asked for some advice. It's about 12 pages long.

If you would like a copy, email me at pcurri at yahoo dot com, and I'd be happy to email it to you.

About dressing for formal night: it's your decision, and it should be based on how comfortable or uncomfortable you are dressing against the suggested guidelines. Some people are quite uncomfortable doing so in a new environment. Others are not bothered at all by dressing down.

No one will ask you to leave, that is true. So, it's really up to you and your comfort level.

This is also Royal Caribbean's link...note that it says "suggested" guidelines...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000OCmLqjcxsEl7E17wC31IqTA:10ktdmnut?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

My point is that no one will kick you out of the dining room for wearing khakis or not wearing a tie, so if that is what you are more comfortable wearing, it's fine. If you are NOT comfortable being underdressed, dress up. To each his own...

Jen

Jen, on the Monarch last week, the Cruise Compass said:

EXPECTED attire: Formal

The point you and many others are missing here with the word suggested is....

It´s not the dress code of the evening that is suggested. The dress codes "formal/smart casual/casual" are not a suggestion but the set dress code of the evening - period.

The "suggested" part of the link you posted referrs to examples RCCL gives what they think is appropriate as a formal/smart casual/casual attire.

A formal night is still a formal night and not suggested as such.

Are tuxedo' and coctail dresses necessary for formal night? What about a linen pants suit for DH and Khaki's for DS. What are dining options if you don't want to eat in the main dining room? Sorry I am a newbie

You would be fine wearing that:) You'll see everything on formal night. People do wear a suit or cocktail dresses too but not everyone and you'll be welcome in the dining room like everyone else. :)

Other places to eat on the Explorer ( ? ) would be Windjammer buffet, Portifino an italian style food, Johnny Rockets hot dogs/hamburgers type food, Promanade Cafe light sandwiches, pasty type food, Room service 24/7 hour separate menu or you may also order anything off the dining room menu ( found on one of the RCCL TV stations on TV in your cabin ) DURING the hours it is being served with the possible exception of lobster as sometimes they deliver it, sometimes not.

Do not miss the dining room experience though just because you do not want to wear a dress or suits for the boys! The food and service is excellent! Enjoy your cruise! :)

Jen

That's the whole point or the great fashion debate. No one will kick them out and the staff makes everyone feel welcome as long as they are not in beach/pool attire. If RCCL is not going to enforce formal attire only, who am I? I personally do not care what anyone wears as I'm only interested in what my tablemates have to say, not what they are wearing. I recently seen a post from a CC member who said to wear a smile. That's the best advice I've ever seen. :)

The point you and many others are missing here with the word suggested is....

It´s not the dress code of the evening that is suggested. The dress codes "formal/smart casual/casual" are not a suggestion but the set dress code of the evening - period.

The "suggested" part of the link you posted referrs to examples RCCL gives what they think is appropriate as a formal/smart casual/casual attire.

A formal night is still a formal night and not suggested as such.

But they will NOT kick you out of the dining room for not dressing as formally as they suggest. If I am comfortable being dressed less formally than everyone else, I can do so.

Formal is in the eye of the beholder...for my dh who never wears anything dressier than scrubs, khakis and a nice dress shirt will be quite formal for him! :)

Jen

That's the whole point or the great fashion debate. No one will kick them out and the staff makes everyone feel welcome as long as they are not in beach/pool attire. If RCCL is not going to enforce formal attire only, who am I? I personally do not care what anyone wears as I'm only interested in what my tablemates have to say, not what they are wearing. I recently seen a post from a CC member who said to wear a smile. That's the best advice I've ever seen. :)

Thanks, aqhacruiser! My feelings exactly...

Jen

But they will NOT kick you out of the dining room for not dressing as formally as they suggest. If I am comfortable being dressed less formally than everyone else, I can do so.

Formal is in the eye of the beholder...for my dh who never wears anything dressier than scrubs, khakis and a nice dress shirt will be quite formal for him! :)

Jen

I never anywhere in my post said you will be denied entry into the dining room. However khakis and a nice dress shirt is certainly not formal attire by any means regardless how your hubby thinks about it. As I mentioned to Carol already some people will never get it.

Edited to add to your comment about "formal is in the eye of the beholder":

I don´t think so, at least when an example of formal attire is given.

BTW just to clarify I don´t care the least bit how you dress but I believe in good manners and if a host expects / suggests a certain attire I would never show up in anything less. Obviously YMMV

We have been on 9 RCI cruises and always at large tables. My DH wears a sport coat, dress shirt, pants and tie. I wear a dressy pant suit. Nobody at our table for 9 cruises was dressed in a tux or gown. Just enjoy your cruise.

Jan

I never anywhere in my post said you will be denied entry into the dining room. However khakis and a nice dress shirt is certainly not formal attire by any means regardless how your hubby thinks about it. As I mentioned to Carol already some people will never get it.

BTW just to clarify I don´t care the least bit how you dress but I believe in good manners and if a host expects / suggests a certain attire I would never show up in anything less. Obviously YMMV

And your comment about some people never "getting it"...that really showed a lot of good manners and respect on your part. :rolleyes:

I would rather eat with someone in a bathing suit and ratty flipflops who respected other people's opinions than someone dressed formally who berated others for giving their views on a topic.

Jen

Hi Nycruiser 1975,

My dh and I are newbie cruiser's of sorts- as we just did our 1st cruise this past Nov.- We are cruising again this Nov.

My suggestion is to bring your comfort level of dress, my dh is a jeans and t-shirts man, so even kakhi's and sport jacket were dressy for him.. so I didn't push for us to go to formal night- we went to Chops instead, in our "dressy clothes"

I had found a cocktail dress @ JcPenny's on clearance for 16.00 so I brought that "just in case he changed his mind":)

My dh- told me after booking this cruise that he wanted to rent a tux, because he didn't want to miss out on formal night. A tux will work out better for him, as he won't wear a suit around here for much of anything:)

As far as your ds- I have found with my nephew that if I ask him to help me find more formal attire for him to wear.. he is more willing to wear it when the time comes-teenagers!!:D

Hope my long winded post help'd ease your mind

Kathy

And your comment about some people never "getting it"...that really showed a lot of good manners and respect on your part. :rolleyes:

I would rather eat with someone in a bathing suit and ratty flipflops who respected other people's opinions than someone dressed formally who berated others for giving their views on a topic.

Jen

Fortunately, the meaning of "expected" is understood by most people. And BTW, someone who tries to come to dinner dressed that way doesn't respect anyone's opinions about acceptable dining room behavior.

NYcruiser, a tux is not necessary, especially for caribbean cruises. You didn't provide a description of the linen suit - it may be fine if it's fairly dressy and he wears a tie. DD in khakis would be ok with a sport coat. Cocktail dress, pantsuit or sparkly top with dressy slacks is ok for you (accessories can really help dress up any outfit - you can get an inexpensive little beaded bag). And there are plenty of other options for dinner if that's what you prefer. Have fun!

Archived