West Coast Cruisers I have great New (Mariner of the Seas coming March 2009)

[quote name='mrcruzer']i was with you on that argument! I'm happy it's finally coming true! and Mariner at that![/quote]

Yes I know. I`m glad we were right and it will be announced officially. Now RC will have the best ship deployed at the West coast for year-round cruises.:)

[quote=Hojo's redbeard;10325936]Purely from a selfish standpoint, I'm looking forward to the day that they are oversupplied with Freedom and Genesis class ships that they drop the prices a little more. I'd much rather have a GS on Mariner than a D1/E1 for the same price on Freedom class ship.[/quote]

My feelings exactly. We just discovered the Mariner, and had made "indefinate" plans to sail her at least once a year from now on. PC is driving distance for us, and DH is not a good flyer, so whatever comes to PC, will more than likely sail on. But, if it is a Freedom class ship, the prices will HAVE to come down from what they are currently, or we will no longer to be able to afford once a year.
While I understand how excited the west coast cruisers are, I am extremely disappointed that we are losing that beautiful ship.:(

I am wondering how they plan to turn around the Mariner at the Port of LA? Looks like the basin under the Vincent Thomas bridge is not wide enough. The Vision barely makes it when there is a container ship docked there. I guess they could back in or back out the length of the channel.
I know they are talking about a new cruise terminal at the end of the LA harbor. That would fix the problem. Not sure how long it would take to build it. I guess they could use tents as a temporary solution. They could also use tender boats to get to her. It will be interesting to see what happens. Hey to get on the ship, I am willing to swim out to her.

Mike

[quote name='mcarnett']I am wondering how they plan to turn around the Mariner at the Port of LA? Looks like the basin under the Vincent Thomas bridge is not wide enough. The Vision barely makes it when there is a container ship docked there. I guess they could back in or back out the length of the channel.
I know they are talking about a new cruise terminal at the end of the LA harbor. That would fix the problem. Not sure how long it would take to build it. I guess they could use tents as a temporary solution. They could also use tender boats to get to her. It will be interesting to see what happens. Hey to get on the ship, I am willing to swim out to her.

Mike[/quote]

Don't know the particulars, but hey handle Grand Class ships for Princess which are range from 109,000 - 116,000 tons, as well as QM2, so hopefully Mariner will fit just fine (because we REALLY can't wait for her to get here!!).

[quote name='Merion_Mom']Gee, Cuizer, looks like we have the same TA! ;):p

I told him/her/it to reserve the whole ship - I bet that we here on CC could fill it up![/quote]

I'm telling BD that you called s/him a him/her/it! ROFL

T

[QUOTE=Hojo's redbeard;10325936]Purely from a selfish standpoint, I'm looking forward to the day that they are oversupplied with Freedom and Genesis class ships that they drop the prices a little more. I'd much rather have a GS on Mariner than a D1/E1 for the same price on Freedom class ship.[/QUOTE]

I won't do a GS but a JS for sure, and you are soooooooo right. The prices are higher and I'd rather sail on Mariner because I don't need the flow rider etc.

I asked about a Freedom class ship being here and was told that there will be different ships here. I got the impression that none would be a permanent home. Maybe with the genesis class one will again be home to Pt. Canaveral.

I sure would hate to have to go on Carnival because that's the only large ship near home. I am driving to FLL in January, but absolutely hate driving to Miami.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

RC`s worldwide plans are amazing to me! Mariner at the west coast, Brilliance year-round in Europe, Radiance in South America, Legend in Asia.
I`m sure with the two Genesis-class-vessels becoming launched, it even will become more exciting!:)

[quote name='CL-JW']Don't know the particulars, but hey handle Grand Class ships for Princess which are range from 109,000 - 116,000 tons, as well as QM2, so hopefully Mariner will fit just fine (because we REALLY can't wait for her to get here!!).[/quote]

Gross Tonnage won't have anything to deal with turning radius. that'd at most affect how much clearance in the harbour. The princess ships aren't nearly as long as the Voyager class, if you're talking specifics. However, if the QM2 made it, it shouldn't be a problem.

manuelstar, glad we stuck it out!:D

What surprises me most about this whole deal is that Mariner, and not one of the older ones like Adventure or Explorer, was moved. I love the exterior look of Navigator and Mariner much more!

[quote name='mrcruzer']Gross Tonnage won't have anything to deal with turning radius. that'd at most affect how much clearance in the harbour. The princess ships aren't nearly as long as the Voyager class, if you're talking specifics. However, if the QM2 made it, it shouldn't be a problem.

manuelstar, glad we stuck it out!:D

What surprises me most about this whole deal is that Mariner, and not one of the older ones like Adventure or Explorer, was moved. I love the exterior look of Navigator and Mariner much more![/quote]

Yup - like I said - don't know the particulars:D - but am EXTEREMELY excited that she may be coming out to the west coast!!!!

Port Canaveral is a HUGE money maker for RCCL and will not go without a bigger ship. I have been told by the same inside source that told me Mariner was going to the West Coast ( No one believed me) that a Freedom class will replace it. It is still unknown which one it will be, but it could be any of the 3 that will be sailing in 2009.

Of course we didn't believe you -- we have been feed rumors for years!! First the Navigator, than Adventure, than a Radiance Class ship and now the Mariner. :eek: Please don't take it personally :D

###

RC`s worldwide plans are amazing to me! Mariner at the west coast, Brilliance year-round in Europe, Radiance in South America, Legend in Asia.

I`m sure with the two Genesis-class-vessels becoming launched, it even will become more exciting!:)

Their quarterly conference calls give insight into RCCL's desire to move to new markets especially as present, the Caribbean market is a bit flat.

Don't know the particulars, but hey handle Grand Class ships for Princess which are range from 109,000 - 116,000 tons, as well as QM2, so hopefully Mariner will fit just fine (because we REALLY can't wait for her to get here!!).

I've got particulars!

Crown Princess:

Gross Tonnage: 113,000

Length: 950ft

Diamond Princess:

Weight: 116,000 gross tons

Length: 951 feet

Height: 205 ft

Beam: 123 ft

Mariner OTS:

Weight: 138,298

Length: 1,020

Height: 207 ft. height to top of funnel

Beam: 126 ft

Queen Mary 2:

Tonnage: 151,000 gross tons

Length: 1,132 ft

Height: 236.2 ft keel to funnel

Vincent Thomas Bridge:

Vertical Clearance: 185 feet

So here's the good part... the Queen Mary 2 did visit San Pedro, but she had to be backed into port since she was too tall for the bridge. Now, you don't actually have to go under the bridge to get into the berth, but when you are leaving some ships go under it slightly as the bridge is over an area near the berth.

Queen Mary 2 draws rousing welcome in San Pedro

The Diamond Princess fits into San Pedro at 951 ft long, 123 ft wide and 205 ft high... so will the Mariner fit at 69 more feet long. 3 more feet wide and just 2 ft higher?

:confused:

Inquiring minds want to know!

Facts were found here:

http://www.cruisefinders.co.uk/ship_details.asp?shipid=432

http://www.cruisefinders.co.uk/ship_details.asp?shipid=363

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Mary_2

http://www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/design/facts/factsFR.html

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na536&submit=pk

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/community_VTB.htm

:( To think we are going to lose our Mariner to the West....enjoy her...she is my favorite ship...I am sad I just found this thread and read the whole thing...I am so glad that I got my brother to go with us on it Oct 2008 so he will get to enjoy it before it leaves....

PC port is my favorites also...so I sure hope we can have a ship that I can still afford the same class room...

I don't know why no one believed you. RCI has been working on it for years and made their final decision a year ago that a Voyager class would definitely go to the West Coast 2009. It was down to the Adventure and Mariner. Mariner was the first choice, but they were worried about the mileage on the engines.

Port Canaveral is making huge modifications for the new Disney ships that are coming in. PCA is unique in that it is a lot less political than the other 2 ports and are much more forward thinking.

Mimi, Are they bringing a disney ship out here? I thought I heard something but don't know how reputable the info was.

Archived