Dubrovnik FAQ

How far is Montenegro from Dubrovnik. We are there from 9AM to 6PM. Is it doable in this time frame? If so, how...renting a car, train, hiring a taxi?
its about 1.5 hrs by car, to the first good resort, you can get a boat as well, they use the euro, we are in miami for a week before a cruise, so I cannot give you more info it is all at home regards

Keith or others,

As I mentioned, our ship (Star Princess) will be in Dubrovnik on November 11 (Sunday). I just found out that Costa Mediterranea and Splendor of the Seas will also be there. Any advice on what happens when about 6,000 people descend on the city? I have been looking forward to visiting Dubrovnik and want to enjoy the walled city as much as possible. Will restaurants and shops be crowded, especially if some are closed on Sundays? How about taxis back to the ship? We probably won't walk the wall so that is not a concern.

Richard

Oh yow, it will be crowded! It is a beautiful little city. Walking the walls is fantastic and you don't have to go all the way around the city.

• 6 months later...

I ended up taking the shi's shuttle into town, walked the wall, had lunch then wandered around the town. Some of the shops were closed while we were there - can't remember if it was just for lunch.

I was disappointed that the "Pharmacy" in the Franciscan Monastery wasn't open the day we were there as I wanted to buy soaps from there.

Frances

• 1 month later...

Just type FAQ into the "Search this forum" tool at the top, right of the list of threads on this forum and they'll all come up - everything you need to know about all the frequently visited cruise ports is here.

There's an amusing TV program on the MOJO HD channel called "Three Sheets" where basically the host gets drunk with the locals. In Dubrovnik, if you vist a bar in the Old Town called "Pupo" and mention the program you''ll get 10% off your bill :cool:

How many Kuna would be needed for a day in Dubronik? (Estimate) We aren't seriously spendy shoppers, but would like a few souveniers and will buy lunch and a few drinks in town. What would a typical lunch run in Kuna? I plan to buy Kuna ahead of time, but have no idea how many to buy.

use oanda.com or xe.com for conversion of below prices as of last week

typical lunch was 70 kunas..

pizza was 45-55 kuna

linguine with scampi was 90 kuna

with the dollar the way it is, its not that inexpensive anymore.

a 16oz smoothie was 25 kuna

go to local grocery store Konzum for water only 4 kuna...3 times as much elsewhere.

will be doing a trip report when we return home on May 16th along with photos!!!

when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com

blogging now if interested

I am sorry in advance if this has been addressed already.

I see that the currency is the kuna. I thought that we could use euros here. Is that incorrect? If we have to have kunas, will the ships be able to exchange either dollars or euros for us?

Do you know approximately how much it is to walk the wall and go to the Jewish area of Dubrovnik?

A year ago in May we had a wonderful day in Dubrovnik and paid for our cabs and admission to walk the city walls with only Euros. At a couple shops I paid with my Capital One Master Card and asked to be charged in the local Kuna (you get a better exchange rate that way).

Dobar Dan from Zagreb

It was 10 kuna to walk the walls, it is about 15 degrees hotter up on the walls. Do this 1st thing and bring water. There a plenty of stairs not just a straight walk around.

jewish quarter is free, the synagogue was closed for admission

i heard 2 shop keepers in souvenir stores turn down USD from cruise ship passengers.

they will usually accept euro, but that is NOT legal tender here, they dont have to accept them.

ciao ciao

Archived