Dubrovnik FAQ

I put my research together from my last Med Cruise and created a FAQ thread that people could add to. I thought I should create similar threads for my upcoming Greek/Turkey ports so will start here with a list of things I have uncovered on these sites.

So hopefully you summer cruisers can add to it on your return from the Greek Isles... tell us what not to miss, the must sees and the don't waste your time sites. Any amazing bargains that are not to be missed or previously undiscovered restaurants.

Things to do

Gates of Pile - Walk the city Wall surrounding the old town.

Tourist info and ATM near where bus drops off

Museum of the Franciscan Monastery

The Onofrio Fountain

Cavtat and Dubrovnik tour… can be done on own - can take boat

the Museum of Modern www.ugdubrovnikhr; admission 15 kuna)

Restaurants

Lokanda Peskarija (Na Ponti bb; 385-20-324-750)

Kamenice - for fresh oysters and great outdoor seating

Pizzeria Castro (Gunduliceva Poljana 5)

Moby Dick

What to buy/Shopping

crystal glasses

garnet pendant with beautiful gold filigree.

cutwork tablecloth for next to nothing

Moje Tezoro - Vintage gold jewelry

Ronchi Hat Factory

Vina Milicic (Wine)

Useful Websites/Message threads

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...highlight=info

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...highlight=info

http://web.tzdubrovnik.hr/beaches.shtml

http://www.croatia.hr/English/Default.aspx

http://travel2.nytimes.com/gst/trave...&submit=Search

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Croatia/Dalmatia_Dubrovnik_Region/Dubrovnik-387793/TravelGuide-Dubrovnik.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchFor...vnik&returnTo=

Photos/Photo Review

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/235645/index.html

http://community.webshots.com/user/andym888

Again we are indebted to you and your fabulous research, so far I have copied your Santorini, Athens, and Dubronvik FAQ now let me think we else are we going that your can do (LOL),. No, seriously thank you thank you now I can get on to the planning and not spend hours aimlessly surfing the net. Again hope your cruise goes well, we take our meditterrean cruise in 1 month Yeah!

Hints--try to get to the walls as soon as possible, we tendered in on the first tender and had the city and the walls to ourselves.

To buy: Croatia is the inventor of the necktie--you can find one made from local fabric. Also there are little shops for local traditional embroidery, one is Suveniri Bacon. This is in the alley with some restaurants--prijeko 6. This shop has been doing traditional work for generations.

The waters in this area are the clearest in the world--there is a beach close to the old city, or you can take a boat ride.

Love the thread! We fell in love with Dubrovnik and it was due, in part, to our taxi driver. Instead of the shuttle, we opted to hire a cab to drive us into old town. We asked if he would give us a quick panoramic tour of Dubrovnik. For 50 Euros (for 4 of us) he took us across the impressive bridge by the port, back up to Mt. Srd, and stopped along the way so we could take beautiful pictures. In addition, he told us his story of the war back in 1991. The view from the top of Mt. Srd is amazing and you can even see the mountains of Bosnia in the distance. In addition, you can visit the ruins of the cable car station and other buildings destroyed during that war. Not to be missed. You will fall in love with this fairy-tale town.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks FMax for all of your information. You listed that you could do a Cavtat and Dubrovnik tour on own, take a boat? Could you explain that to us. We are heading out this weekend and very interesting in any recommendations you have on Dubrovnik. We will go early to walk the wall and then might want to see Cavtat possibly. thanks, Pat:)

Also to do: Check out the teeny tiny church that's on the left as you walk into Old Town from the gate. It often has musical recitals at night. We listened to a string quartet one evening--it was like we were in heaven. :)

J welsh 2 my wife is croatian so we visit dubrovnik a couple of times a year, for breakfast buy some burek from the bosnian bakery take it to a cafe most do not mind you bringing food order coffee eat then a little prosec a sweet wine or for the strong, rakija you are now croatian, walk the city, get a ferry not bus to cavtat, the water is the cleanest in the med, go to the beach, to the end away from the shops and cafes there is a food stall with a wood fired grill, squid is good, cevapcici is good and is the best hamburger you will eat, then return to dubrovnik for palacinke, you should not need dinner, the croatian take pride in the fact that most food is organic as is the wine and beer, take home lavender oil the smell will remind you, nxt time go to Hvar an island off split, it is one of the best places I have seen

I am returning to the Balkans just for the Burek! OH my gosh, I ate it in Zagreb, in Dubrovnik, in Skopje! Will see next week how they make it in Sarajevo! I think in a former life I used to live there...

Coka

Frances you are awesome.......

Thanks for all the tips we will spend 10 days in Croatia next April 13-23 after our RCCL Jewel of the Seas TA cruise. Haven't got our trip planned out only decided last night. Probably 2n in Bubrovnik and one at the end of the trip. At least 2 nights in Hvar but I'm concerned no one will be there or restaurants open. 1 n in Trogir, 2n in Korcula and now look into adding Cavtat.

OK you've got my interest up tell us all about Burek.

Marge

Thanks for the great info. How much is it to walk the wall?

And, I have a question please... I have great breathing difficulties so I'm really interested in how hard it is to get on the wall??? Know of an elevator?? How many steps?? Rest area on the steps??

Thanks much, Marv :cool:

I was looking at the beautiful pictures linked to this page. Does anyone know how to get a boat ride around lokrum privately? I did see that Carnival has a tour package with a pirate's ship around Lokrum and then walking the Old City. I was wondering prices also.

And, I have a question please... I have great breathing difficulties so I'm really interested in how hard it is to get on the wall??? Know of an elevator?? How many steps?? Rest area on the steps??

Thanks much, Marv :cool:

Marv;

No, there isn't a an elevator. The number of steps is probably, a lot! But, you can do them at you own pace, but there aren't any benches or resting areas. Just go slow and once you get on top you will certainly enjoy your efforts. But getting to the top is doable, saw many elderly people up there, again just take your time, enjoy!

Marv;

No, there isn't a an elevator. The number of steps is probably, a lot! But, you can do them at you own pace, but there aren't any benches or resting areas. Just go slow and once you get on top you will certainly enjoy your efforts. But getting to the top is doable, saw many elderly people up there, again just take your time, enjoy!

Thank you so much, 7to11 for the encouragement. I'm gonna try it and take it "at my own pace"...

Marv.. ;)

• 1 month later...

My wife and I will be in Dubrovnik on Sunday, Nov. 11. I will be on a Princess ship with about 2000 passengers. Will most of the shops and restaurants be closed?

Should I take a ship's tour if the city is basically closed?

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Keith or others,

As I mentioned, our ship (Star Princess) will be in Dubrovnik on November 11 (Sunday). I just found out that Costa Mediterranea and Splendor of the Seas will also be there. Any advice on what happens when about 6,000 people descend on the city? I have been looking forward to visiting Dubrovnik and want to enjoy the walled city as much as possible. Will restaurants and shops be crowded, especially if some are closed on Sundays? How about taxis back to the ship? We probably won't walk the wall so that is not a concern.

Richard

Thank you all for all the great information on Dubrovnik. I will be there for 8 hours on Oct. 28th. I just started doing my research and everything on this thread is very good and useful. Thanks again

:D

Keith or others,

As I mentioned, our ship (Star Princess) will be in Dubrovnik on November 11 (Sunday). I just found out that Costa Mediterranea and Splendor of the Seas will also be there. Any advice on what happens when about 6,000 people descend on the city? I have been looking forward to visiting Dubrovnik and want to enjoy the walled city as much as possible. Will restaurants and shops be crowded, especially if some are closed on Sundays? How about taxis back to the ship? We probably won't walk the wall so that is not a concern.

Richard

My wife is Croatian, so we visit friends in Cavtat and shop in Dubrovnik, we tend to stay away when cruise ships are in port, it does get very crowded, we have never been in Dubrovnik any later than Sept, but as the Croats are very enterprising people, we cannot see that too many shops etc will be closed with that many wallets in the city.A plug for the island of Hvar, visit, it is fantastic. regards

standby,

Thanks for the insight. I think you are right, many stores & restaurants stay open when there is money to be made. Is Cavtat worth a short tour as compared to Hvar?

It seems that the majority of tourists will be on the main street of Dubrovnik (Stradun). I would think that exploring side streets would be better (and less expensive).

Richard

standby,

Thanks for the insight. I think you are right, many stores & restaurants stay open when there is money to be made. Is Cavtat worth a short tour as compared to Hvar?

It seems that the majority of tourists will be on the main street of Dubrovnik (Stradun). I would think that exploring side streets would be better (and less expensive).

Richard

Hvar is an island off Split, so it would not be possible to visit in the time you have got, the two things, Hvar town and Dubrovik have in common are that they are both expensive, Dubrovnik is a small city that does tend to be overwelmed when ships visit, Cavtat is were the elite live still, Tito had a Villa there, as a foody you should buy cheese from the island of Pag, take it back to the ship and enjoy, if you want bargains we drive to Montenegro, but time is your problem, have a fantastic time,regards

Archived