Just back!!!!!!

kathy-ann

Just got back from our brilliant northbound cruise on the Island Princess calling at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway and disembarking from Whittier. We then went on to have a fabulous time in Kenai, Mt McKinley, Denali and Fairbanks.

In Ketchikan we went flightseeing to Misty Fjords with Michelle (saw a bear a few hundred yards away after we landed), in Juneau my husband did the photo safari and in Skagway we did the White Pass Sumit - up by bus and down by train - and a 2 mile hike of the Chilkoot Trail folowed by a float trip down the river.

These were all good choices and if anyone wants any more info I'd be happy to help.

The weather was unbelieveable and totally unexpected - we were so lucky and blessed. We did have some light rain after our float plane landed in Ketchikan but it didn't last and it rained in the morning at Juneau but the afternoon was warm and sunny.

The only other rain we saw was at Mt McKinley but I understand that's fairly normal (we actually saw the mountain from Denali - amazing!).

The blue skies and sunshine in Glacier Bay and College Fjord made it perfect. We've only looked at a few of the approx 1500 photos we took but I've attached one taken at College Fjord which I'm particularly pleased with.

I'd like to thank whoever it was who told us about getting to the front of the ship via Baja and Caribe decks - we spent a lot of time out there!

As I said if anyone wants to ask me anything I'll try to help. This board was invaluable and I learned so much before we went which was a great help - thanks to everyone.

P1010531.jpg

I think we're doing the same itinerary that you just did and on the same ship. We leave on 6/10 and I can't wait!!

Was your tour on land with Princess? If so, what tours if any did you do in Kenai and Mt McKinley. Did you do any of the trails around the hotels?

Any helpful tidbits you can pass along as to what you needed on land as opposed to the ship?

What room did you have on the Island Princess?

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip!

Hi kathy-ann-

Glad to hear you made it home safely. My husband and I were on the Island Wings excursion with you. Wasn't it amazing? The whole trip was great. I thought it was a once in a lifetime vacation but I already can't wait to go back.

Did you happen to get any good pictures of the bear? I wasn't sure if it was your husband with the zoom camera or if it was the other couple. My little camera got him but he doesn't look nearly as big as he was!

Debbi

What an absolutely breathtaking picture!!! I hope you don't mind, but I've saved it just in case I don't take anything as beautiful as it :o I absolutely have to say that I am breathless looking at it.

Thank you for sharing with us all

Wow, what a great shot!!! I'm leaving in less than three weeks and wow, that gave me a good shot of adrenilin!!!

I, too, would love to hear more about the photo safari in Juneau as we have deliberated back and forth as to whether to do it or not......dogsledding is winning over, but..... well, lets' see what you say.

thanks!!! denise & Stef

going on the Pearl, real soon!

Can you tell me a little about your experience on the photo safari? We are scheduled to do that same excursion in August.

Thanks.

Perhaps as Kathy-anns husband who went on the photo safari I should answer. I chose this excursion because I'm a photographer, this sort of thing is something I would rarely get the opportunity to do though.

In all honesty I probably gained little from the trip, the guide was good enough but her time was taken up much of the time by people who had little idea of how to control exposure etc and infact were ill equipped camera wise to take full advantage of where we went.

It was raining to begin with and we went up to the Mendenhall Glacier, something which anyone can do on the local bus. I had to change my shooting style due to the conditions, though I got a few good shots, I could have done it without being on the excursion. We were given plastic bags to protect our cameras and cloths to wipe them down with, but for those with digicams with 3x zooms shooting was perhaps limited.

Later we were taken to Auk Bay and went out into the sound on a great little boat which was ideal for viewing from. We saw bird life such as arctic terns, and bald eagles, also a few humpbacks and some seals basking on a navigation buoy. The boat skipper was good and tried to move to good locations when appropriate. However much of what we saw was at a distance and without a long lens you would struggle. Imagine seeing a whale blow and then dive with the tail fluke coming up, then at a distance of over 500yds finding your camera and lens is not up to the job of capturing it.

I'd say don't do this excursion if you expect a lot of tuition and you only have a digicam with a low powered zoom. Treat it as a photo shooting opportunity rather than a learning experience. If you want to see whales, go on a whale watching tour. Visit the Mendenhall independantly $6 each way. The guide was good enough and gave good advice, though for the more skilled photographers it was basic stuff.

Now its possible they use a variety of locations depending on the conditions, so its perhaps unfair to say the Mendenhall was a bad one for the day we went. Seeing closeup whales and any other major wildlife is pot luck and expecting great sightings in the short time at your disposal is perhaps unrealistic. However I was lucky and got a great shot of the Bald Eagle alighting a navigation buoy, a memorable moment.

Bald_Eagle.jpg

people who had little idea of how to control exposure etc and infact were ill equipped camera wise to take full advantage of where we went.

That would be me! :p Course, bad pics are still better than no pics. :D

Hi kathy-ann-

Glad to hear you made it home safely. My husband and I were on the Island Wings excursion with you. Wasn't it amazing? The whole trip was great. I thought it was a once in a lifetime vacation but I already can't wait to go back.

Did you happen to get any good pictures of the bear? I wasn't sure if it was your husband with the zoom camera or if it was the other couple. My little camera got him but he doesn't look nearly as big as he was!

Debbi

Hi Debbi

I think we sat next to each other on the plane. Yes, we thought it was an amazing holiday too. I couldn't believe that all of us on the plane were fans of Cruise Critic. I told so many people on the ship about this site who'd never heard of it.

Yes, it was my husband with the big camera and long lens. As far as a photo of the bear is concerned I'm afraid his camera had been playing up for some reason and he didn't get a shot at all. I got it with my little camera but my shot would be like yours I would think.

Kathy-ann

After hearing 1800 pictures......now I feel better about telling people we were taking 6-1gig memory cards...and they think I can't shoot that......:p :p :p

your pictures are great look like some from the princess brochures....what kinds of cameras did you use....

thanks for posting

Thanks for sharing the photos, they were amazing. We are booked on the Diamond for next May. We did this same ship and iteniary last May and can't wait. We are interested in hearing who you booked your float tour with. Miss Honey

Just got back from our brilliant northbound cruise on the Island Princess calling at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway and disembarking from Whittier. We then went on to have a fabulous time in Kenai, Mt McKinley, Denali and Fairbanks.

I said if anyone wants to ask me anything I'll try to help. This board was invaluable and I learned so much before we went which was a great help - thanks to everyone.]

We have booked the photo safari in July. I would love to hear more about it. Oops, never mind. I see you already did. I should have read the whole thread first. Great pics and great info!

That would be me! :p Course, bad pics are still better than no pics. :D

What type of camera and lens did you use while on the safari? Did you need a monopod ? Great pictures... we are on the same excursion in July..

Tory

Ok now we know you can take a great picture so now we want more! If you have a webshot or kodak sight please bless us with the web address. Again - Great pics - Thanks for taking the time to post them, earl.

Kathy-Ann:

We were on the flight after you with Island Wings (I know this with my discussions with Diego). I spoke with your husband about pictures right before we boarded (because I noticed he had a nice camera) and he gave me some nice tips. I too was speaking to people about Cruise Critic and remember thinking how could anyone take such a cruise without having consulted this site.

Archived