Johnny Rockets

No, not all ships have JR's. You can check rccl.com for the ships that do. If you have a 6 year old, and you like to have fun, I suggest a Voyager or Freedom class ship. They have JR's & Ben & Jerry's.

:( Thank you, but I am having a hard time find a sail date that fits into my son's school schedule on either one of the ships. I guess I will take him out of school, I need a vacation badly. I have had a rough year and a half.

There are 5 voyager class ships and 2 Freedom class. You are having a hard time with all 7 of those ships? :confused: I hope you find one you like. Sorry you have had such a bad time.

Do the ones with JR have mini golf and ice skating. Sorry I am a big kid at heart and have had a bad year and a half and want to have a lot of fun with my son. I want to enjoy life again. Please tell me which ship we can live again and enjoy it and the camp for him

Do the ones with JR have mini golf and ice skating. Sorry I am a big kid at heart and have had a bad year and a half and want to have a lot of fun with my son. I want to enjoy life again. Please tell me which ship we can live again and enjoy it and the camp for him

Voyager class and Freedom class have mini golf & ice skating. Voyager class also has roller blading track, and Freedom class has the Flowrider and H20 zone water park.

:( Thank you, but I am having a hard time find a sail date that fits into my son's school schedule on either one of the ships. I guess I will take him out of school, I need a vacation badly. I have had a rough year and a half.

There you are! Go back to the Family Board...your school post has taken on a life of its own. :eek:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=561496

And I agree Voyager/Freedom class. :D

No offense but if you are choosing a ship just for Johnny Rockets, pick a different one..lol..the food int he Windjammer is better!! It is cool when the waiters and waitresses sing and the staff is very nice but the food was very greasy and not that great IMO.

As far as Ocean Adventure Camp...your son will LOVE it!! We just took our kids, 6 & 7 on their frist cruise and they LOVED camp!!! That was the first thing they asked about when they woke up in the morning and the last thing they talked about before going to bed. We had to make them spend time with us..lol..they always wanted to be at "camp" as we called it.

Good luck and have a great time!

Sorry one more thing...we took our kids out of school for a week to go on our cruise, they were fine!!!!! They are still moving to the next grade next year, so do what you want and not what anyone here says you should do. Enjoy!

There's pretty much always something available, though. Are you really unable to find something during, say Christmas holidays, President's week or spring break, or is it an issue of tight budget and you can't afford those days? They're going to be higher, but if you book early, it's probably only a few hundred $$ more overall.

I must admit that I'm somewhat lucky, because my son's school is out Mardi Gras week, when off-season rates tend to be available. :)

The ice-skating on the Freedom and voyager class ships is great (remember to pack a pair of long pants for skating!), and is something your son will really enjoy. I understand the new waterzone for kids on Freedom and Liberty is an absolute blast for kids.

I agree with the Posters who said that Johnny Rockets isn't a reason to pick a ship. We've eaten at the JR on-board twice on Mariner and Navigator and didn't think it was anything special. Both times we ate there, we evidently missed out on the singing or dancing and our waiters looked totally bored. The milkshakes were good, but overall I preferred the Windjammer or the Promenade cafe. A JR opened locally, and I went there once to see if I could figure out why it's so popular. Long lines out the door again....but the burger was just a burger....I guess I just don't get it.

There are 5 voyager class ships and 2 Freedom class. You are having a hard time with all 7 of those ships? :confused: I hope you find one you like. Sorry you have had such a bad time.

That was my first reaction, too!

I'm a foodie and a regular at my local Johnny Rockets. Obviously food is subjective. I totally get JR, and we're excited that so far all of our bookings (including the tiny Majesty of the Seas) have had a JR on board. Our streak will be broken when we sail Serenade in '08. I'd be the first to say that JR won't need to be the deciding factor for you and your kids. Lots of other options for fun food and entertainment. I would agree that Voyager and Freedom class are your ticket.

CLQ -- Please help me out. I look at the long line waiting for JR whenever we go by it, and on our cruises everyone raves about JR (including my kids). Based on the huge numbers of people who really like JR, I'm missing something. Is there something I should order? I'm gonna to try again..

CLQ -- Please help me out. I look at the long line waiting for JR whenever we go by it, and on our cruises everyone raves about JR (including my kids). Based on the huge numbers of people who really like JR, I'm missing something. Is there something I should order? I'm gonna to try again..

I don't think you're missing anything. It's hamburgers and shakes in a retro themed restaurant. The burgers are good, the shakes are good and the decor is pretty neat. I've been to a couple JR restaurants, and they're nice, but not a big draw to me for a cruise ship.

You're not missing anything. We have had JR in Los Angeles forever, and it was even worse on the ship than it is on land. I don't eat there at home, and I won't bother on the ship anymore either. Once was enough. Put an In & Out Burger on the ships, and I would be happy.

Being the newbie here and I love your input. Thank you. As a person who never cruised before who is still young at heart with a 6 year old and a young at heart husband which ship should we sail. I cannot get Xmas which is what I wanted because coworker won't trade days. She takes Xmas every year:mad: . The selfish in me wants to cruise before next year, I don't know if any of you read any other of my post over the past year (mainly NCL) I had a horrible year, and want to start a fresh life with a fresh mind. So please new friends which ship should I choose, JR seems not to be a reason, but I do like mini golf. and ice skating. PLEASE HELP!!!!:o :(

NYCruiser, Speaking as a kindergarten teacher, I can tell you that I have had children from my class go on week long cruises. Generally their parents just ask if there is any work they can bring along...now I know that doesn't sound like fun, but over a week (maybe on the plane trip) you could squeeze it in. Also just make sure it's not a "testing" week, because that is a problem. A good week might be the week before Christmas... usually not much going on in schools then, but again, make sure their not testing. Remember happy parents are good for kids, so take a vacation if you need it. Just talk to your son's teacher. Relax, it's good for you and your family!

Being the newbie here and I love your input. Thank you. As a person who never cruised before who is still young at heart with a 6 year old and a young at heart husband which ship should we sail. I cannot get Xmas which is what I wanted because coworker won't trade days. She takes Xmas every year:mad: . The selfish in me wants to cruise before next year, I don't know if any of you read any other of my post over the past year (mainly NCL) I had a horrible year, and want to start a fresh life with a fresh mind. So please new friends which ship should I choose, JR seems not to be a reason, but I do like mini golf. and ice skating. PLEASE HELP!!!!:o :(

Well I can't respond to all of your comments but I can respond to parts! I'm a nurse and, yes, I certainly do understand that all of us can't simply take vacation whenever we wish. I don't know if you work in the healthcare care industry, but many folks who don't work in this profession have limited understanding of the "rules" needed to ensure that operations always continue. People get sick over holidays, weekends, and nights - 24/7 - all year round. We need - and want - to be there to take care of you!

In my organization we have very specific rules about how and when we can use our vacation. We can always use our allotment of time throughout the year, but it may not be our first, second or third choice.

With this being said, I still find that I can cruise and find great deals that match my particular needs - and those needs have changed throughout my life - pre-kids, with kids, with kids out of the house and most fondly with my parents (one in her 70's and one in his 80's who are the best cruisers). So, wherever you are in your life journey - I hope you can enjoy!

Fondly,

Heidi

You're not missing anything. We have had JR in Los Angeles forever, and it was even worse on the ship than it is on land. I don't eat there at home, and I won't bother on the ship anymore either. Once was enough. Put an In & Out Burger on the ships, and I would be happy.

Yes! :D In & Out Burger beats Johnny Rockets without even trying. There's a place I don't mind waiting in line. However, although the burgers are lousy and they serve those crappy, frozen onion rings............. the vanilla coke is great and reminds me of when I was kid hanging out at the soda fountain in the drug store!

I vote for one of the newer Carnival ships (stay away from the older ships, except for Triumph or Victory). They're a great introduction to cruising, and your son will have a wonderful time. Unlimited soft-serve ice cream and pizza! You can get a balcony for a reasonable price, will be amazed at the decorating, and there will probably be lots of kids his age. Excursions are so expensive that Carnival will give you more money to spend on the irresistable $20 portraits, memorable excursions in-port, a piece of WOW jewelry for you (gotta get that Tanzanite before the mine goes dry!), and a bottle of duty-free booze that you will not be able to resist buying even though you won't be able to take it back to your cabin and will worry about how to pack it in your luggage on the last night of the cruise.

The only reason I am not voting for Liberty or Freedom (no difference) is that once you go on one of those ships, any other cruiseline will be a let-down.

I also am not voting for NCL, since they are a little less structured and their free-style dining is so unique that its cruise experience doesn't really give you a good idea about the other cruise lines. I also thought their shows were a little less "BIG"/impressive, and that the cabins were a little less comfortable than RCL and Carnival. My kids enjoyed the teen kids' program the most on NCL, but I think that's partly a function of the Counselor and the group. I'll cruise with NCL again since we had a great time, but I think RCL and Carnival may be a better first cruise.

I am not voting for Celebrity for a lot of reasons, including a poorer children's program and the fact it's a quieter, more formal experience.

Sorry, haven't tried Princess or HAL yet.

Don't worry too much about making the perfect choice. They're all good - just think of it as the first of many, and plan on trying the others in the future.

Our favorites--chili dogs, veggie burger (Streamliner at JR), apple pie a la mode. As I've said on other threads, we don't find the ship JRs to be as good as the land version. I personally haven't found the beef burgers to be nearly as good on board, so we don't even bother. But, hey, we still think it's pretty good. Folks who don't like it just make more space for us. Something for everybody. Discussions like this will go exactly like the ones about food on RCI in general. Some will love it, others will hate it. In the end, you have to make your own decision. My point was to not make your ship decision on JR, as much as I like it myself. Doubt you would've had that be the sole deciding factor anyway.

Archived