Johnny Rockets

I vote for one of the newer Carnival ships (stay away from the older ships, except for Triumph or Victory). They're a great introduction to cruising, and your son will have a wonderful time. Unlimited soft-serve ice cream and pizza! You can get a balcony for a reasonable price, will be amazed at the decorating, and there will probably be lots of kids his age. Excursions are so expensive that Carnival will give you more money to spend on the irresistable $20 portraits, memorable excursions in-port, a piece of WOW jewelry for you (gotta get that Tanzanite before the mine goes dry!), and a bottle of duty-free booze that you will not be able to resist buying even though you won't be able to take it back to your cabin and will worry about how to pack it in your luggage on the last night of the cruise.

The only reason I am not voting for Liberty or Freedom (no difference) is that once you go on one of those ships, any other cruiseline will be a let-down.

I also am not voting for NCL, since they are a little less structured and their free-style dining is so unique that its cruise experience doesn't really give you a good idea about the other cruise lines. I also thought their shows were a little less "BIG"/impressive, and that the cabins were a little less comfortable than RCL and Carnival. My kids enjoyed the teen kids' program the most on NCL, but I think that's partly a function of the Counselor and the group. I'll cruise with NCL again since we had a great time, but I think RCL and Carnival may be a better first cruise.

I am not voting for Celebrity for a lot of reasons, including a poorer children's program and the fact it's a quieter, more formal experience.

Sorry, haven't tried Princess or HAL yet.

Don't worry too much about making the perfect choice. They're all good - just think of it as the first of many, and plan on trying the others in the future.

Thank you, but I am more confused. Son does not like ice cream, can you believe that. He likes ices. He loves pizza. I don't know cruise line. Sorry, I am so afraid to make the wrong discision. I want our first cruise to be great had a rough year. Someone make the choice for me

Yes! :D In & Out Burger beats Johnny Rockets without even trying. There's a place I don't mind waiting in line. However, although the burgers are lousy and they serve those crappy, frozen onion rings............. the vanilla coke is great and reminds me of when I was kid hanging out at the soda fountain in the drug store!

You mean JR Burgers are frozen? Right? Cause In & Out burgers are never frozen.

JR's has the best hamburgers that you will find on the ship. Cooked fresh. Great onion rings and fries too. To me it is worth the small surcharge. I for am glad that RCI has them on board.

Agreed! And sometimes, you just need some grease while on vacation :) Heck, I eat healthy the rest of the year ;)

###

No one has mentioned the Radiance class ships . . . Radiance, Serenade, Brilliance and Jewel. There is no ice skating. But there is the mini golf course, and an extremely nice children's pool area at Adventure Beach, with a water slide. And that is adjacent to the Seaview Cafe which puts JR to shame. SC food is "free", meaning included in your cruise fare, except for special beverages. Brilliance has an Italian menu, meaning pasta, pizza, Italian sandwiches, etc. The other Radiance class ships serve onion rings, fries, burgers, etc.

We loved the Seaview Cafe on Brilliance, twice.

We'll check it out again on Jewel in January.

Rick and Deirdra

No kidding!!! We do have some in Phoenix now, however I refuse to visit them :) When in CA, while on vacation, well that is another story ....;)

###

Why do you refuse to visit them? :( :( :(

Thank you, but I am more confused. Son does not like ice cream, can you believe that. He likes ices. He loves pizza. I don't know cruise line. Sorry, I am so afraid to make the wrong discision. I want our first cruise to be great had a rough year. Someone make the choice for me

We can't make the choice for you cause we aren't buying...lol. ;)

YOU have to make the choice. The Voyager and Freedom class ships are the most family friendly by far. So go to www.rccl.com and click on ships, then you can see the Voyager Class and Freedom class ships.

You won't make the wrong choice. There really is no WRONG choice on a cruise unless you were on the Titanic. :eek:

Freedom class has this...

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Thank you for all your support. But as I said I am afraid that I will be like I should have. I do like the H2O zone. Can I ask you a personal question. Put yourself in my shoes, which would be your first choice of RCCL ships. and I see what I started on the other thread:eek: :o

nycruiser1975: If it makes it easier, JR is not included in your cruise price. It is a $3.95 cover charge for food per person per visit. Milkshakes and sodas are not included in the cover charge, but are an additional charge on top of that. (Actually, milkshakes and soda are not "free" anywhere on the ships.) Either Freedom or Voyager classes sound like what you are looking for. Radiance class ships are terrific and the Seaview Cafe (included) has fabulous food. Still, we wouldn't book or not book on a ship for those reasons alone.

Are you still having trouble finding a date on any of the Voyager class or the two Freedom class ships? You might want to look at Radiance class ships as well, although they don't have the ice skating or the Royal Promenade (inside) nor the H2O Zone and Flowrider that the Freedom class ships have.

It's hard to say what would be best for your family. I really, really don't mean this to sound harsh, but I think you're stressing so much over choosing the "perfect" ship and cruise that you may be in danger of not being happy with whatever you decide on because you'll be wondering "what if the other ships are better." You really can't go wrong with any of the Voyager or Freedom class ships.

I hope your next year is better and happier.

beachchick

nycruiser1975: Are you still having trouble finding a date on any of the Voyager class or the two Freedom class ships? You might want to look at Radiance class ships as well, although they don't have the ice skating or the Royal Promenade (inside) nor the H2O Zone and Flowrider that the Freedom class ships have.

beachchick

I am still having trouble understanding this issue about dates. If one is considering a seven night cruise almost every sailing is going to depart on a Saturday or Sunday. And if a ship only does seven night sailings it will depart almost every Saturday or Sunday. What am I missing here?

Your child will ADORE Adventure Ocean.

Taking kids out of school is one of those touchy subjects that will rile folks up here. Do what's best for you and yours. We pull the kids. We have to this year. My husband cannot take time off at all this summer, because they are putting up a new patient tower at his hospital. He must take his vacation between November 23rd adn December 23rd. That means out of school, for us.

I can live without Johnny Rockets. It's a personal decision, but I really don't like the joint.

My boys LOVE the Mariner of the Seas and other ships of the Voyager level. We are sailing the Freedom together this fall. I can't wait to report back on their reaction to that size ship.

Kids seem to really love the larger ships.

Do all the ships have a Johnny Rockets? For a first timer with 6 year old and husband and I and who likes to have fun, which is the best ship?

I've often wondered what the deal is with Johnny Rockets. We've been on 3 ships with a JR's and we've visited the restaurant twice. To me its a greasy spoon and not much more. I'd rather eat in the dining room or the Windjammer. Food is better in those places.

I agree w/ Karlee. We used to get the assignments and she would do it on plane or at sea day, or a port day when we didn't get off ship. Always worked out. School implemented a new policy 2 yrs ago - no work before a vaca. So, she would have to get it when she returns - then have double the amt first wk back. Guess it's there way to deter taking time off of school for a vaca. We go every yr and it works out fine. OUr last cruise was 12 days - but, she only missed 5. Good luck.

Thank you for all your support. But as I said I am afraid that I will be like I should have. I do like the H2O zone. Can I ask you a personal question. Put yourself in my shoes, which would be your first choice of RCCL ships. and I see what I started on the other thread:eek: :o

I've only done Freedom and never Voyager class...so I can't comment on that.

I know Freedom was perfect. The service was perfect. The facilities were perfect. You can't beat the H20 zone and the Solarium.

But right now Freedom/Liberty is probably priced higher than any Voyager class ship. So it is all what's in your budget? If you do Freedom, can you afford a balcony? Give yourself a little time away alone outside while your child sleeps inside? Or would you have to do an inside on Freedom/Liberty but you could afford a balcony on a Voyager class ship? It's all about the TOTAL experience.

I am still having trouble understanding this issue about dates. If one is considering a seven night cruise almost every sailing is going to depart on a Saturday or Sunday. And if a ship only does seven night sailings it will depart almost every Saturday or Sunday. What am I missing here?

Yeah, I am not quite sure I understand the issue either, but I figure that whatever the reason, it is an issue for them. It doesn't really make sense to me, but then I don't know their schedules or limitations.

beachchick

Archived