Live from the Statendam

Seacruise

Hi there:

I would like to report a few things as I sit here in Juneau.

Those that have worried that Dutch night has gone away on a few of those Dam ships don't have to worry about the Statendam it was here in all it's glory last night.

One thing I have never had on a HAL ship is towel animals and not it is here.

The Statendam has the crew shows as follows, Indonesian N/B and Filipino S/B.

Dining times are as follows 5:45 PM 6:15 PM 7:45 PM and 8:15 PM. There is also casual dinning in the lido from 5:30 - 10:00 PM.

I would also like to report that we have had some major screw ups with luggage not making the ship. In fact it was brought out via pilot boat at the exit to Glacier Bay. More was on the dock today in Juneau.

On Tuesday morning at about 0510 Hours we were still in the Pacific headed for Glacier Bay and the ship was rolling to say the last. We were in a gale force storm when their was 6 short blasts of the ships horn and alarm system. I can tell you you never want to be awakened this way. There were people donning life jackets and headed to their muster stations in their underwear.

I knew that their was no long blast at the end and stayed put in my cabin to await further announcements or alarms.

I did advise my girls to get dressed in warm clothing in case but stay in the cabin.

About 8 minutes after the alarm their was a announcement from the Captain from the bridge. Their had been smoke detected in the incinerator room and the alarm was to place all fire crews on alert.

We were then told that their was no fire and we could return to sleep.

More later

Phil

Thanks Phil for reporting live from the Statendam. We were docked next to the Statendam, last week, in Juneau and could see into the Statendam dining room, on Dutch Night. That was cool. ( I am obviously easy to entertain)

What a difference a week makes. Last week, the seas were like glass and with the exception of the last day, the weather was darn good, especially for May. People were swimming in the aft pool and the aft hot tubs were almost always occupied. The only thing certain about Alaska weather is uncertainty.

And holy - moly about the abrupt awakening. That must have been frightening. You certainly sound level-headed.

I am looking forward to reading more, if you have the time and inclination.

My DH and I are boarding the Stat. on Sunday. thanks for checking in!! Sorry about your weather. Sure hope it improves quickly!! (Both both our sakes!!) ;) I will remember that about the long blast if in case the alarm ever sounds when I am cruising. After 18 or so cruises we have been on, you start to not pay as good of attention at the Muster Drills.

How is the food and service in the Dining Room??

Thanks.

Cyndy

The food has been great. No complaints from anyone.

If you like Salmon you will get your fill. Like King Crab you will get your fill.

Bring a hat and gloves. The snow was still right down to the water in Glacier Bay. Weather was cool to say the least. Only rained a few times while in there.

Phil

Seacruise,

thanks for reporting fro us. Last june on Statendam we also had fire alarm --incinerator room also. BUT there were whole sections of the ship that did not hear an alarm! Much of the main deck had no alarm that sounded! That's scary.... we wondered what everyone was talking about the next day.....

Seacruise,

thanks for reporting for us. Last june on Statendam we also had fire alarm --incinerator room also. BUT there were whole sections of the ship that did not hear an alarm! Much of the main deck had no alarm that sounded! That's scary.... we wondered what everyone was talking about the next day.....

The CD is David Martin

The Captain is Frans Consen

Phil Hughes - Comedian and Ventriloquist -very funny don't be late for his show...

ketchikan was very warm toady and sunny. Watched 5 eagles and 2 immatures eat salmon beside the ship from the ocean.

About to head to the last formal night.

Lido Dinner is from 5:30 - 7:30 PM Jeans permitted. There was 1 night that had special times and that was the night thought was every night.

Next time I will report is when I return.

I have been working on a review and it will be posted upon my return.

Phil

I had planned to post my review right by now but my attention has been off a bit with the flooding of the Fraser River near me. I will be safe but friends will not be. The big crest is for this weekend and we will wait and see what happens.

Some things to note:

S/B sailing has opening dinner seatings at 5:30 and 8:00 PM. Normal seating assignments start the 2nd night.

Ketchikan has added a additional $1 to it's port taxes which was tacked onto our shipboard account.

Express off the ship was at 7:30 AM when we arrived in Vancouver.

We were able to board the ship at 11:30 AM in Seward. The ship never finished it's departure of passengers from the the NB cruise till almost 1:00 PM due to tours.

We were able to get in our rooms just after 1:00 PM.

More to come.

Phil in Vancouver

Seacruise, just a quick question.

Having read up on previous threads on the subject of laundry, its still unclear to us what STATENDAM charges for unlimited laundry for a one week Alaska cruise, and how much is a bag?

Previous threads indicate it could be anything from $40 to $70 and $12 or $25 depending on ship.

We board this month. B2b. Once northbound from Vancouver, once southbound from Seward.

Thanks for any info.

cndycruiser

There has always been King Crab legs on the first formal night on all the cruises that we have been on.

I wish I was on your cruises! I've only seen Snow crab, never King crab, on four HAL ships.

Laundry bags are now made of cloth as a result of trying to reduce the amount of paper they use.

This isn't the case when it comes to advertising from the shops.

Laundry rooms (wash was $3 and dry $2 I heard, I didn't use them) are avaible on Statendam class ships. I have learned that Holland America no longer provides Dry Cleaning. This has been dropped as a result of trying to dispose of the chemicals that are used in the process. Instead they will use a new wet dry cleaning method they said.

Since Holland America is Dutch they have Dutch night where they serve dinner to reflect this. They also provide little Dutch hats for both Men and

Women.

Also note that there was a $1.00 PP port tax increase for Ketchikan that was added to our account.

Phil

Archived