Your honest opinion about Century vs Millennium

Kelan

Hi everybody. My TA is suggesting me to change my current Millennium booking to the Nov 02 Century sailing to the Mediterranean. The cost is about the same. It is really appealing but, I have my reservations about the Century. I just read in the CC reviews that is an older ship but renovated, and smaller than other Celebrity ships. Have somebody cruised in both ships? I would like to know your honest opinions. Coming form the beautiful Millennium, would I be dissappointed? The Century has pod propulsion problems like the Millie? Thank you!

We have not sailed on the Century since it's renovation, but we loved it before the redo. We would find ourselves happy on any Celebrity ship (we have been on Zenith, Century, Galaxy, Mercury, Millennium, and Horizon), the service and food and everything that makes Celebrity "Celebrity" is the same. We were just as pleased with the Zenith in 2006 as we were when we cruised in her inaugural year 1992 and again 1993. We did the Century maiden voyage in 1995 and cruised again in 2004 and found it just as nice as the our first trip.

The Century, Galaxy, and Mercury were all built in Germany and have a different system than the M-class ships that were built in France. The M-class ships are the ones that are having the pod problems.

I sailed on Century twice before the renovations. I have also sailed Millie. If I had my choice, I'd take the old Century before the Millie. I just prefer the intimacy. I'm sure with the recent upgrades, it just makes her that much better.

I've sailed both Millenium and Century. I was on Century before and after renovation. Celebrated 2000 on Century and it was by far the best cruise I have ever had. Honestly after redo was done to Century is is not the same anymore, something special about is lost. It is much smaller than Millenium too, I just came back from my Med. cruise on Millie May 2007 and had a great time. If i was you I would not change booking from Millie to Century.

Thank you for your comments. Something I did not mention on my previous message is that my current booking is a Caribbean intinerary vs the Mediterranean of the Century.

Thank you for your comments. Something I did not mention on my previous message is that my current booking is a Caribbean intinerary vs the Mediterranean of the Century.

I think you said in your first post that the Century cruise was on 2 November, in the Med? Well, I don't want to sound too gloomy, but I'm not sure that this would attract me too much. The weather might be OK, but there's also a possibility that you could have 10 days of rain. At that time of year, I would certainly expect some bad days - grey & rainy. Also, you'll only get about 10 hours or so of daylight at that time - sunrise between 7 and 7:30, sunset by 5:30.

And a final point: I can't help wondering why your TA is recommending this switch....

Have you checked out the airfare difference yet? Your actual cost might be higher doing the Med over the Caribbean. Your tours will probably be more in hte Med. Also, are the number of days the same?

If all costs are the same, I would do a Med cruise in heartbeat. We have done transatlantics from Barcelona in late Oct-mid Nov and had great weather. It was comfortable instead of hot.

Oh, that makes a big difference.

What would I do for the same price? Probably the Meditteranean. But you will pay more for airfare for sure. You will also spend more on land than in the Caribbean. You'll want to do tours if you are going to Europe. The exchange rate isn't favorable either.

However, I am not trying to burst your bubble. Europe is far more interesting than the Caribbean.

Where would you be going on Century? I would pull up the weather in November for those ports before making a decision. November is one of the best times to sail in the Caribbean.

Hi, haven't been on Millenium but 3 times on the Constellation (similar "M" Class ship) before trying the Century this past Feb (post renovation)

We liked Century, renovations are gorgeous. But, we feel the M class boats are more spacious, even with the larger amount of guests. We love the free Thallasotherapy pools and the entire layout. Just Our Humble Opinion.

I have never been on M-class, but twice on Century and once on Mercury. Those are very fine ships and don't feel old.

For me the only advantage M-class has, and only in colder destinations is covered pool. For example, I'd rather saild on M-class to Alaska or Northern Europe.. But in Caribbeans all these ships would be fine.

We've sailed Millennium and Century (before and since its refit). I love the design & layout of both ships, and never felt crowded on either one. I haven't been to the Mediterranean, but I'd think November might not be the best time to go there. Unless the Med. cruise is LOTS more days and you don't mind cooler, probably rainier weather, I'd stay with the Millennium in the Caribbean in November if I were you. Just my two cents.:o

I don't know if your room is important to you or not. Last Dec I was on the Century. Great redo with the Cova Cafe and Aqua Spa just like the M class ships have. No complaints there. Had a CC room. I knew that it was smaller than the ones on the M class ships, but the beds were rounded at the end and there wasn't a lot of space to walk around the bed. I'm tall and found that the bed fell a little short shall we say. I would sail on the Century again but prefer the M class. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either ship. A trans is a different experience altogether. Probably a tough decision. Good luck!

We've sailed Century over a dozen times, both before and after the refit. We cruised in the Mediterranean for 20 days last October and some places were still on the warm side. (I'm a northerner so our perceptions will differ.) We are cruising for the entire month of November in the eastern Mediterranean which is a bit warmer and drier.

Trying to predict the weather anywhere for any season is no longer possible. Europe this spring was hotter than normal..

If you go to Europe you go for the ports. If you go to the Caribbean you go for an entirely different reason. The service and food in both ships will be spectacular. In the Caribbean you would spend more time around the pool. Europe is more port intensive and you will spend more time ashore.

I'm not a pool person and I like Century better than any other Celebrity ship.

Now about the air... Barcelona is a long flight and I doubt it will be direct.

You have to decide what you want and how much travel time you want to spend. The Mediterranean region is my favorite destination and Century is my favorite ship... but boy I hate to fly.. for a ten day cruise.

For same price--I'd choose Europe over Carib which is something you can do anytime even on short notice. Would have to check cost of airfare.

Not sure abt weather, we are headed to W.Medit on Century late Sept this yr & E Medit in Nov on Galaxy next yr--thought Nov would be OK.(will be checking into that--it's mostly Greece) Early Nov in Carib is the end of hurricane season--one yr we got caught with one on election day in Antigua.

We have not been on the Millenium but have been on Summit & Connie several times--all very nice. Just recently went on Century. It is nice also but not our favorite--still old layout & the refurb is done selectively. For Europe though it would be OK as that is a port intensive trip--no T- pool, no indoor pool & some odd deck layouts--getting to here from there...etc. But we had excellent service & dining--Muranos was the best ever!

Let us know what you choose!

For same price--I'd choose Europe over Carib which is something you can do anytime even on short notice. Would have to check cost of airfare.!

Take into the account cost of excursion.. for us they were more than our ship accomodation! Some very important stops (Livorno and Civitavecchia) aren't near the port which makes them way more expensive.

We've been on Century before and after the renovation. Also, have been on 6 "M" class cruises, mostly Europe or Transatlantics. Loved them all. We were on Century last September in Europe and loved every minute. We've been on Millie in late Sept. and Century in October in Med. Never had bad weather. This year we're on Millennium 14 days 11/4/07 Barcelona, Istanbul to Venice. Not worried in the slightest about the weather. Other posters are correct: the ports are so spectacular that weather is a secondary matter. It's very hard to compare these two experiences. If you want culture, go to Europe. If you want the beach and island life, go to the Caribbean.

We thought the "new" Century was fabulous. Murano is every bit as lovely as the "M" class specialty restaurants. The lack of a covered pool or T pool was not an issue for us but it was for others. The CC room was charming, smaller than CC on Millie but the balcony furniture was great. Service superb. Had great times in the Martini Bar and elsewhere. The dining room seems the same as "M" class. It is 20,000 tons or so smaller but it doesn't feel like that to me except perhaps the size of some of the bars. The Aqua Spa Cafe is divine as is the spa.

Hope this helps.

Archived