Tuesday June 5 is Public Holiday.

Coli

Hello fellow travellers.

For those visiting the island next week - we've had a death of one our important matriarchs, and as such Tuesday June 5 is a public holiday for her state funeral. As such please keep in mind that the public transport will be operating on the Sunday/Public Holiday schedule - and yes, I'm sorry to say - there will be a few retail places closed :(

Dockyard is for sure open for Business.

There is loads about it on The Royal Gazette's website - http://www.theroyalgazette.com

I'm determined to think positive. I'll be on this cruise also. Anyone know if the glass factory will be opened on Tuesday? We're supposed to do the snorkling on Wednesday and Tuesday was our day to explore and shop. I am assuming that some shops will be open and happy to take my money in exchange for trinkets. Do you think the festival that they supposedly have Tuesday nights will be cancelled? Anyone have a Bermuda Tourism number to call?

Unfortuntately it's not a simple case of a shop deciding whether or not to be open - we have to get special trading liscences to open on Public Holidays - and this hasn't left a lot of time for many retailers to sort out details. Dockyard Glassworks, along with everything else in Dockyard should be open - it is a special retail area. I have not heard anything yet about the Tuesday festivals - if I do - I'll let you all know.

Update:

As posted in Royal Gazette today - Buses are operating on SATURDAY scheduling, Ferries on SUNDAY Scheduling.

Visitors Information Centres should be open as per normal with cruiseships being in.

Dockyard is open for business, there are several stores in Hamilton that will not be. Not heard anything about St. Jo - believe they should be open - they are a good bunch at that end of the island.

Just wanted to thank the OP for letting me know about this holiday. We were able to switch our snorkling excursion from Wednesday to Tuesday and did sightseeing/shopping on Wednesday instead. Your post helped so much by giving us the heads up - thank you! Snorking was great - water was a tad cold (felt like slipping into a glass of ice water) but one got used to it and it was a lot of fun - we did a Catamaran Tour and got so much out of it.

Bermuda was wonderful, too bad there's really not enough time there w/the five day EOS cruise - but it was an AWESOME trip and we had the time of our lives. Couldn't have asked for any more!

Thanks for all information/tips/suggestions that were given.

Katie

Archived