New Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman-- Seen it?

luvstocruise711

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has visited the new turtle farm in Grand Cayman. We're thinking about going there in July. The website looks really nice, but I've heard comments once or twice that it's not finished yet. I've e-mailed the turtle farm. It's been a over week now and they haven't written back. This makes me a bit nervous-- wondering what kind of operation are they?? I'd like to know if the construction is complete (does it have everything that is shown on the website?) and is it worth the money? I'm making plans for a group of 16 and REALLY don't want to screw up! :confused: Please, help me if you can. Also, If you know of any "must see" places in Grand Cayman, would love to hear about it. Thanks a lot!!!!

We were there last month and it was done. We were going to go in until they told us it was $50 per person. so I just went to the gift shop and took a picture of a picture and it looks like I was there. Presto. :)

Be aware that the Turtle Farm is just that, a Farm where turtles are raised as a commercial product for human consumption. It's kinda like a pig farm, but with turtles instead of pigs.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from going to the Turtle Farm and I'm not making any sort of judgement about it. I just want people to be aware of farm's primary purpose. The farm does release a small quantity of turtles back into the ocean and it does provide tourists with the opportunity to interact with the turtles.

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce-r

Thanks for that honest assessment of the turtle farm. I was going to post a question about the mission of the turtle farm and you answered my question. As an animal lover, I don't think I could stomach the reality.

(and no, I don't eat meat either!)

The turtle farm is not in a new location. And you can still just visit the farm. The new area is called Boatswain's Beach. It wasn't finished when we visited last Nov., but I didn't see anything that would entice me to pay more to use their various venues and man-made beaches.

We were there in May and I loved it!! Went as part of a tour including hell and stingray bar. Our tour guide was great about explaining things about the farm (although he didn't mention eating turtles) You could hold turtles, see the mating pond, touch many of them. He also explained that 1/3 of the turtles are returned to the ocean when they are 2 years old to help repopulate (I guess I never really thought about what they did with the other 2/3 - never asked...just kind of assumed they stayed at the farm...but if they are for food...well I can throw no stones as I was raised on a cattle farm and that's what happened to most of our cows). It was finished and was beautiful...I was really enthralled by the turtles and I'd go again. There was a beautiful part of the farm that we couldn't go into but took pictures of (you can go in there...just not part of our excursion...I'm sure it just costs more...but looked really beautiful from what we could see) Wished we could have spent more time there.

Hope this helps

Take care

Tracey

you can check out my pics at this link if you'd like

http://community.webshots.com/user/DandyTwister

We were there in May and I loved it!! Went as part of a tour including hell and stingray bar. Our tour guide was great about explaining things about the farm (although he didn't mention eating turtles) You could hold turtles, see the mating pond, touch many of them. He also explained that 1/3 of the turtles are returned to the ocean when they are 2 years old to help repopulate (I guess I never really thought about what they did with the other 2/3 - never asked...just kind of assumed they stayed at the farm...but if they are for food...well I can throw no stones as I was raised on a cattle farm and that's what happened to most of our cows). It was finished and was beautiful...I was really enthralled by the turtles and I'd go again. There was a beautiful part of the farm that we couldn't go into but took pictures of (you can go in there...just not part of our excursion...I'm sure it just costs more...but looked really beautiful from what we could see) Wished we could have spent more time there.

Hope this helps

Take care

Tracey

you can check out my pics at this link if you'd like

http://community.webshots.com/user/DandyTwister

Thank you Tracey. We were trying to decide if we should spend the money ($67pp) to get the "wet" pass into the turtle farm. The pictures on the website look great, but you just never know if they're true or not. They say that you get to snorkel in their man-made lagoon. Having never snorkeled before, this sounded good to me to start in a "controlled" environment. I think we'll probably try it out.

Does anyone know if the Turtle Farm/Hell & Stingray tour is being offered for sale at the dock? We would like to book this tour; but prefer to wait until we get to port, if possible. Has anyone booked this excursion through a private tour group & enjoyed it?

• 2 months later...

TexasMommy -

Let us know if you go to the turtle farm when you go to GC. I know on another thread you were debating between Stingray City or the turtle farm with your 2 year old. I'm in the same situation when we go on our cruise next year with our then 2 year old and am trying to decide between the two excursions. I'm leaning toward the turtle farm but I'm wondering if it's worth the new price.

I'll post a report if we go. If we went we'd def want to swim in the salt water lagoon with the fish and turtle and the wet package is

Wet Package: Includes all the great features of Boatswain's Beach

Adults: US$75 Children 2-12: US$35

Wow! As much as I want to go check it out that is prob too expensive for our budget. Even the 2 year old is 35 bucks. That would be $220 for the turtle farm alone not even counting eating or transportation.

I do think I have officially crossed the Stingray excursion off our list. The replies to my post made me too worried about DS having a terrible or even unsafe time seeing the stingrays. So at this point it will either be Boatswain's Beach or more likely, another trip to 7 mile beach.

I agree. As much as my DH & I have enjoyed going to Stingray City whenever we visit GC, I think it would be too much for our little girl. I know she would enjoy the turtle farm & we will probably be doing that excursion, just wish they at least included transportation for that price!

Have a great trip!

Archived