Amsterdam, May 25 – June 1, 2007

OldCodger73

We’re just got back today from a roundtrip Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam. Here’s a capsule review.

Weather: In our Alaska ports the refrain was, “You should have been here last week. The weather was great then.” Juneau had light showers when we tied up, it stopped raining for several hours then started up again. The temperature was about 49° with a sharp wind. Sitka had off and on light showers, while the worst weather was at Ketchikan, with moderate rain and low clouds. At least one flight tour to Misty Fjord was canceled because of weather conditions. The sky, of course, started to clear as we left Ketchikan. On the other hand, Glacier Bay, while cool had filtered sun through high, thin clouds. The weather in Seattle and Victoria was great.

This was an outside passage cruise, up the west coast of Vancouver Island. On the first sea day there was a stiff wind from the NNE to NE that cause some rolling, and this bothered quite a few people, bringing out the patches and Bonine. Coming out of Sitka it was rough, with a lot of up and down pitching—it was kind of take one step forward and two sideways. The up and down motion didn’t really seem to bother most people, it merely made walking more difficult. The sea was calm on the return leg.

Embarkation/Disembarkation: Our only previous experience with embarkation was twice at Vancouver’s Canada Place. Luggage drop off was much smoother there, you drove up and there were porters standing by to grab your baggage. Seattle wasn’t as well organized; you needed to hunt the porters down. Check in went quickly, but boarding went more slowly. All-in-all, it took about 40 – 45 minutes from arrival to being on board ship, still pretty good. Cabins were ready at 1:35PM.

We attended the on board disembarkation talk and one thing we found different than our two Holland America cruises last year was that they served complementary champagne and wine.

Disembarkation went smoothly and, once started, quickly, The ship arrived at 7AM, the people carrying off their own luggage went down the gangway at 8AM, our color and number was in the first batch called, we quickly found our bags, picked up the car and were home in about an hour, Using your home port sure beats flying!

The Ship: The Amsterdam was in excellent condition, as one would expect from one of HAL’s flagships. The only slight negative was at busy times there was up to a 5-minute wait for elevators.

Cabin: We booked a BC veranda guarantee, was up graded to an A veranda and, thanks to the information in a thread here on Cruise Critic, was able to get a good deal on an upsell counter offer for an S deluxe suite. It was right across from the Neptune Lounge, which made it great for popping in to get a snack or coffee or tea. It really made the cruise more memorable,

Food: Everywhere we ate the food was of a good quality, tasty and plentiful. I’m a picky eater but always found something on the dining room menu that appealed to me. All the entrees I had were good; however, only one, a grilled Alaska salmon bordered on excellent. Anyway, I’m afraid to weigh myself.

Evening Entertainment: It’s a cruise ship, so if it’s watchable your ahead of the game. The Amsterdam singers and dancers were good, athletic dancers and adequate singers. No one seemed to be someone who would become a rising star. Janine Gardner, a comedian, and Tyler Linkin, a comedic juggler who we had seen last year on the Veendam, both put on enjoyable shows and it was clear that they had found their niche in show business. There was also dual piano players who, unfortunately, we missed.

On Board Cruise Consultant: There were several threads about booking cruises with the on board cruise consultant for a $100 per person deposit. We had decided to book the Maasdam’s May 2008 Ft. Lauderdale – Montreal repositioning cruise on board and had checked with our travel agent beforehand. The cruise consultant, Alan, had arranged a time to be available in the Neptune Lounge, which made it very convenient. He seemed knowledgeable although truthfully we had all the details worked out and told him exactly what we wanted. Bottom line was that it was a positive experience and the minimal deposit coupled with the $100 on board credit made it a good way to go.

Summary: We really hadn’t planned on this cruise but in April found that we could squeeze it into the budget. Not having to fly was the deciding factor. This was our third cruise, all on HAL and it was a very enjoyable. Even though the weather wasn’t the greatest we still had a good time and were glad that we had gone.

If anyone has a specific question, I’ll be glad to try and answer it.

Thanks Old Codger. It sounds like you had a good time in spite of the weather.

I am curious about what time you boarded. We are finding that when we arrive about 1:30-2:00, there are no lines and the check-in process is a breeze. What do you think?

We left home about 10AM and got to Pier 30 a few minutes after 11AM.

Many people like to get there around 11:30 and be on board for lunch. That does mean usually waiting until rooms are available.

I can see the advantage of arriving at the 1:30 - 2PM time you suggest as the cabins should be ready then.

I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I don't have the willpower to wait; I want to get the cruise experience started as soon as possible.

Thanks so much for your review of 'my' ship. At least she will be next week. I'm a first timer, so your positive review increases my anticipation all the more. I'm sure my roll call buddy, PunxyBob, will be eager to read this, too.

Hmm, that Ketchikan weather makes me wonder if we should risk booking the zipline once we get there. I would HATE to have to do it in pouring rain!:eek:

Was there a Dutch Night in the diningroom, and if so, which night was it? I'm going with a HAL newbie on the AMSTERDAM in August and I don't want to book the Pinnacle Grill on either Dutch Night or Alaska Seafood Night.

Was the cute little paddlewheel steamboat ALASKA QUEEN operating yet in Ketchikan?

Thanks in advance.

Good job on the review Old Codger! LuckyGirl was right -- I spied it first thing this morning and was thrilled to read a review of the ship/itinerary for my very first cruise. I'm a little discouraged by the rain that seems to be lingering up that way of late (have been checking the AK forecasts daily) but I'm resolved not to let a few showers dampen my excitement.

Could you let me know on what days the 'formal evenings' were scheduled on your cruise? Also -- while I love salmon, did you happen to notice any CRAB on the menu?

Many thanks, and welcome home.

Welcome home! That Alaska weather is really all over the map. When we went in early August several years ago it was just the opposite. Everyone was talking about how they were having "cloud failure." It was beautiful throughout. Only had rain and chilly temps in Glacier Bay.

Some quick off-the-top-of my head answers.

Yes on On Deck for the Cure. When I get time later today I'll check the Daily Programs to see which day it was.

Yes on the Dutch night. My wife shamed me into wearing the little cap they provided. When I get time later today I'll check the Menus to see which night it was.

Formal nights were Saturday, the first sea day, and Wednesday, the day we left Ketchikan heading south.

I think there was Alaska King crab legs one night and I think there were some crab appetizers. When I get time later today I'll check the menus to see which nights they were.

OK, On Deck for the Cure was on Thursday, the sea day that ends in Victoria.

The program shows Dutch night as being on Sunday but it might have been Monday instead.

The Steamed Alaska King Crab Legs were on Saturday night. There was also a Crab and Artichoke Dip appetizer on either Sunday or Monday night,

One other note. Sitka of course is listed as a tender port but we also tendered in Ketchikan. Apparently they're working on one of the docks and the work is expected to be completed sometime this summer. There were two ships tied up at the dock where the Volendam docked last year and which accommodated three ships then.

Thanks for the review, Old Codger.

Perhaps the reason your weather wasn't the best is that we've booked great weather for July 27- Aug. 3 when we'll be on Amsterdam. Sorry about that.

Generally speaking, what was the dark suit to tux ratio? I'm thinking of leaving the tux home to save suitcase space - and also I'm afraid it makes me look too much like Cary Grant. Is it true that informal nights have been dropped?

What were your best excursions and did you book with HAL or can you pick up excursions at the various piers?

Any tips will be appreciated - this is our first time in Alaska.

Ted, I didn't really pay that much attention on Formal night, but while there were some tuxes, dark suits were in the vast majority. So if you decide to leave your tux at home you won't look out of place.

Yes, informal night has been dropped. I think the term "informal" generated a lot of confusion. There were two formal nights, the rest were "smart casual". Your documents will list what that is and not to wear in the dining room, for example shorts.

We have done many of the most popular activities like whale watching and helicopter landing on a glacier before in other parts of the world and didn't feel the need to do them again. We also don't do small planes, plus we had been to all the ports except Sitka and Victoria last summer. In Juneau we rent a car from Rent-A-Wreck, which is the only company that has a shuttle to the pier, and went to Mendenhall Glacier and then wanting to do something different went north to the Shire of Saint Therese. In Sitka we took in a performance of the New Archangel Dancers and then took a shuttle to the Raptor Center. We finished off by going to St. Michaels Russian Orthadox Church. There were plenty of people offering tours on the dock in Sitka but we were also the only ship in town.

What is Dutch night?

It's not that big of deal, there's a bonnet for the ladies and a Dutch boy cap, plus there's Dutch Smoked Split Pea Soup, Dutch Brisket of Beef and an Indonesian dish, plus the more normal stuff.

I want to thank you too for your post---I'll be on the Amsterdam to AK on Aug 3.:D I've been reading posts about limited menu choices (esp desserts) and problems with as you like dining on some of the other AK itineraries. How were things on "our" ship? Are all the dinner times assigned as usual? How about the friendliness of the crew? It's been 8 years since I've cruised HAL and I'm hopeful that it will be just as spectacular now as it was then. I have a specific room reserved ("A" category, mid ship)---how much did you have to pay to move up to a Suite if you don't mind me asking? I'm not sure I would make a switch to a higher deck due to motion sickness issues but it sure does sound wonderful--might be worth the gamble if the price is right.:p

Thanks for all your replies to everyone.

Holly

luckygirl and Punxybob, maybe I'll run into you on Friday. I always visit the HAL ship at Terminal 30 every Friday, and I'm usually there by 12:30 or so. It's so exciting to watch everyone arrive, even if I'm not going to Alaska this year. Last year I met the Zaandam each week, knowing that DH and I would board on the next to last voyage. Anyway, I can't resist that 3-mile round trip walk to the ship and back. If you see a ditzy blond in a HAL t-shirt, trying to keep out of the way, that'll be me. Whatever, you'll both have a WONDERFUL time. HAL is still the best.

Archived