Glacier Bay Margerie Glacier Viewing- New Procedure Or ...?

OldCodger73

Convential wisdom as expressed here by Budget Queen and others and observed first hand last year was that if you wanted to observe Margerie Glacier from your veranda then you should book port side as the ship spends about the first hour pointed that way. However on our Amsterdam 28 May trip into Glacier Bay this is what happened. The ship positioned the port side so it faced Margerie Glacier for about 10 - 15 minutes, swung bow first for about a half-hour and then spent about an hour with the right side facing the Glacier. It was almost like the captain was positioning himself for a quick getaway. One additional note, on our way out we met another cruise ship coming in, without checking my notes I think it was the Sapphire Princess.

So the question arises, is this a change in viewing procedure or a one-time aberration? Has anyone else experienced the same thing happening this year?

Perhaps it was because of the approaching ship--the captain wouldn't want to turn around when the other ship was in positon. It might even be that it was a courtesy to the other ship to allow them a full view!

There are so many variables in cruising that it may be best to have a "plan B" (c, d, e...)!

our ship moved up to the glacier , stayed with the port side to margerie..nose of ship to grand pacific. then the ship turned for the starboard side...but only briefly.

another ship was moving in to position and we needed to clear space for them. same was true at john hopkins glacier, only there the other ship was in the way of a clear view for the folks on the starboard side.

at both glacier port side got great views while the starboard side had fleeting or blocked views. i think it depends on the ice around the ship, how much time they have before they have to leave the park and if another ship is around. (also, the captains whim?)

our ship moved up to the glacier , stayed with the port side to margerie..nose of ship to grand pacific. then the ship turned for the starboard side...but only briefly.

another ship was moving in to position and we needed to clear space for them. same was true at john hopkins glacier, only there the other ship was in the way of a clear view for the folks on the starboard side.

at both glacier port side got great views while the starboard side had fleeting or blocked views. i think it depends on the ice around the ship, how much time they have before they have to leave the park and if another ship is around. (also, the captains whim?)

LOL -- Captains don't have whims! They make considered decisions for the safety of their ship based on the conditions at the time, other traffic in the area, and their great experience and knowledge.;) Usually they will try to give both sides viewing opportunities, but the safety of their ship and operational requirements are foremost.

I don't think any report of a single trip, or even several trips into the Bay, permit one to say, "the port side is best," or "the starboard side is best." I think the best that can be said is that it will vary from day to day, ship to ship and trip to trip.

Frankly I much prefer to view Glacier Bay from the open decks so that you get a view of everything.

The port side is best from a balcony since the cruise from the entrance of Glacier Bay to the Margerie Glacier has most of the interesting sights on that side.

But I agree with MercedMike that the view from the open decks is much better.

Our captain (Coral) gave both sides time. I didn't time it (to busy watching the glacier) but it seemed he made it close to equal time. It is not a big deal to go out on deck. We used our balcony and the decks so we spent the whole time outside. Imagine some people would have rather played bingo! Too funny. The second glacier hardly anyone was on deck, it was amazing to me. I saw some people unprepared for the cold on those days so they kept running back inside.

All the glaciers that we have been to, the port side spent the longest time facing the glaciers. But we have never been to any of the glaciers when another cruise ship was in the area.

It does sound as though he had to turn the ship in order to be able to move out of the way of the other ship.

We met the Sapphire Princess about 30 - 45 minutes after we left the Margerie Glacier area.

If you're using a DSLR one of the advantages of shooting from your veranda is that you can lay out the lenses you're planning on using on the bed, which makes for a very speedy handy lens change.

On the Holland American R & S class ships, IMO, the best place on deck to view the glaciers is the small forward deck on the Veranda level. It's up above the main deck giving a lot better view and is a lot less crowded. It seems not too many people bother to look at the ship's deck plan and discover the deck and how to get there.

It isn't only the Margerie Glacier that is usually best with the port side. It's the Reid and Lamplugh you also pass ON the way in with ALL the commentary. The "spin" is different every time. One sailing on the Princess Sun, had NO starboard views. Ship just turned 180 starboard and LEFT.

Overall, I will continue to recommend a port cabin for those who are ONLY going to do their viewing from their balcony. Grossly superior is front viewing.

this was as our ship had just started to turn around. it didn't pause long for the starboard side. we had to move to get this ship room. for john hopkins glacier the pause was even less.

attachment.php?attachmentid=47189&stc=1&d=1180819344

Archived