Planning summer 2008 cruise - AoS from San Juan?

I'm starting to think about plans for a 2008 cruise booking, especially thinking about making a NextCruise booking during our upcoming cruise on the Liberty of the Seas.

I see that there are 7-day Southern Caribbean cruises on the Adventure of the Seas in August for as little as $649. That seems to be a fantastic ship, very close in size and amenities to the Liberty, and the price seems quite good when I compare it with other cruises on Voyager class ships around that time.

I thought that perhaps it would be more expensive to fly to San Juan, but a quick check shows that JetBlue has $200 round-trip tickets to San Juan, and that's cheaper than the flights we recently purchased to go to Miami.

The Adventure of the Seas itinerary is pretty packed with only one "At Sea" day, and that could be a plus or a minus, although it would be a nice difference from our Liberty itinerary that has three "At Sea" days.

Any opinions people want to share about the Adventure of the Seas or cruises departing from San Juan?

(Sigh... here I am getting excited about a 2008 cruise when I've got the Liberty coming in only 10½ weeks!)

The Adventure of the Seas itinerary is pretty packed with only one "At Sea" day, and that could be a plus or a minus, although it would be a nice difference from our Liberty itinerary that has three "At Sea" days.

Any opinions people want to share about the Adventure of the Seas or cruises departing from San Juan?

We'll post our opinions after we return from our July 1st sailing! (Can you tell we're excited?) We're doing the itinerary with the one day at sea. This is the first cruise we've sailed with that many ports.

I've been to St. Maarten (twice, after the upcoming Liberty cruise) and St. Thomas before, so it just struck me that if I want another "At Sea" day, I could very well make my own. Duh!

Reading through the reviews, it would seem that this is a very nice ship, but I need to read through some more reviews to see some more comments about the various ports.

I'm starting to think about plans for a 2008 cruise booking, especially thinking about making a NextCruise booking during our upcoming cruise on the Liberty of the Seas.

I see that there are 7-day Southern Caribbean cruises on the Adventure of the Seas in August for as little as $649. That seems to be a fantastic ship, very close in size and amenities to the Liberty, and the price seems quite good when I compare it with other cruises on Voyager class ships around that time.

I thought that perhaps it would be more expensive to fly to San Juan, but a quick check shows that JetBlue has $200 round-trip tickets to San Juan, and that's cheaper than the flights we recently purchased to go to Miami.

(Sigh... here I am getting excited about a 2008 cruise when I've got the Liberty coming in only 10½ weeks!)

We did Adventure last August and I would do it again without hesitation. No problems sailing out of San Juan (although the airport can be a challenge sometimes). The weather may be the only variable as this is considered the rainy season but it is the caribbean and the rain starts and stops pretty quickly. We got in all our excursions without any real downpours. I say if the price is right go for it.

We are also looking forward to our Adventure in October. I agree that San Juan airport is a challenge, particularly when flying out. Flying in isn't too bad, except trying to get your luggage among all the masses of people.

We usually make our own flight arrangements and get a taxi to the pier. Getting a taxi has never been a problem for us (groups of 2, 4 and 6 at various times).

The airfare that you mentioned seems like a bargain in the midst of rising prices. You better go for it, if you haven't already booked!

We are also going to make a sea day for ourselves, as we've been to all the ports before. I would say the advantage of making your own sea day is that you won't have as much trouble finding a chair by the pool, particularly in the morning hours.

Let us know if you booked!

We did the St. Lucia route on Adventure last June. We really liked it. We mostly went to the beach so did not find it exhausting;) . We did not have any problems in the San Juan airport. Taxis were readily available. It was crowded when we left, so leave plenty of time upon departure, but we had no issues. We stayed a the Ritz before our cruise and this was very nice. We liked Old town and took a nice private tour of the rain forest. We really loved the Ritz and felt it was the worth the money. All in all a great vacation. We had one day that was a washout in Antigua, but other than that the weather was pretty good. Here is a link to our pictures. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/551922080kouTEb?vhost=good-times

We've taken three cruises out of San Juan and have loved all of them. We really like the Southern Caribbean and have not had any problems navigating the airport either. The last flight out of San Juan we took advantage of American Airlines agreement with RCL and checked our bags at the dock and never saw our bags again until we landed at DFW. It was very convenient.

d

Keep in mind that AOS has 2 alternating itineraries (at least in 2007, it does). We are booked for Sept on the Aruba/Curacao/St. Maarten/St. Thomas itinerary and there are 2 sea days. If you are interested in more sea days, you might want to check out the alternate itinerary for AOS...:D

Keep in mind that AOS has 2 alternating itineraries (at least in 2007, it does). We are booked for Sept on the Aruba/Curacao/St. Maarten/St. Thomas itinerary and there are 2 sea days. If you are interested in more sea days, you might want to check out the alternate itinerary for AOS...:D

The itinerary is subject to the dates available in our planning.

We're trying to coordinate this trip with friends of us, and that'll end up dictating which set of islands we get to visit.

We chatted with our friends this evening and showed them the RCCL brochure for the cruise and the Voyager ship. We're really hoping that they'll be able to join us.

Archived