"RCCL needs to Keep Voyager or Freedom class in Port Canaveral!!

How many RCI ships do you need in Florida??. Look at all the cost and hastle we on the west coast have to go through to go on a cruise. LA needs a good ship.

You're getting a great ship but please don't be negative about those of us who love PC getting a replacement. Port Canaveral draws from much of the south (Carolinas, Ga., Alabama). It has a very high percentage of people who drive to the ship and who would not drive as far as Fort Lauderdale, Tampa or Miami. It also keeps RCCL in the running for folks who go to Disney and then want to take a one week cruise. And with Bayonne getting Explorer and Voyager not out of Fla., please do not begrudge us getting a Freedom or Voyager class ship.

Well I am definitely amongst those who will miss the mariner. I am about to sail on her for the 5th time, and I recognize many names on this thread as past cruisers on my sailings. I am hoping to get on her at least once more before she leaves port canaveral.

I dont believe RCCL with abandon port canaveral, in fact I did email adam goldstein and he answered me back and he said that the port is important to them. I also agree with many posters...the freedom class was just too big for me. I liked it and all but I didnt like it enough to want to go back again quickly, not like how I feel about the voyager class ships. I truly hope they put a voyager class ship somewhere in florida doing 7 day sailings. While I would prefer PC I would just be happy to see one down there.

I think I am still in shock over my favorite ship leaving and becoming so inaccesible! I am surely going to miss her and the entire staff!

My bug is, we are going to have 3 identical ships sailing the three eastern ports here practically doing the same itinerary. Where is there any incentive in that? The Freedom and Liberty alternate the same routes now and when Independence comes to FLL, it will do basically the same thing. And yes, Mariner did east and west itineraries, but it was a different ship.

I hope they bring another voyager class around, or a radiance class, but I wish they would do away with one of the Freedom class ships from here.

Though, people on the threads here keep saying the caribbean desires are dying. I find that really hard to believe when they are sending their 3 biggest and newest ships here to do caribbean iten. and they sail pretty full still.

I totally agree with you on this and have said it many times!

I dont believe RCCL with abandon port canaveral, in fact I did email adam goldstein and he answered me back and he said that the port is important to them. !

Janet -- thanks for updating us on your response from Adam Goldstein.

As to your reply to Storm Goddess, there are some differences in itineraries -- Liberty does not stop at St. Thomas but Freedom does. And the Jan. itinerary for Mariner stops at San Juan instead of Coco Cay.

I think we've sailed together -- looking at your signature -- was it early June in 2005 -- western itinerary with a tropical storm that Capt. Johnny steered around? We could not get into Grand Cayman.

It was the last week of june, but I wish we had sailed together...as you can see from my signature...I do love the mariner! Once you have heard captain johnny saying good morning to you if feels like home...in fact my friend, who has been on her 9 times, had tags made for all of us with the mariners name and the saying "theres no place like home". I was going to do the mexican riveria early next year but I am going to cancel and plan on going on the mariner now, I guess Ill have to fly to the west coast to see her again, but I know my friends wont have a problem with that.

I have a good friend who is friends with adam, I had him call him up and tell him how unhappy I was too lol! I am a firm believer in that if we dont speak up the RCCL wont know we are unhappy. I truly just want another voyager class ship in florida somewhere, I would be lost without them and while I would miss the mariner I would at least be happy with a different voyager class....alas...no captain johnny...thats the sadest part!

Wow I can't believe the prices for the Marier in CA....we was checking to see maybe go out there..so we could go to different ports and still have the Mariner...the 3 and 4 th person $649...I can't believe that...

I think there are many reasons the crews at PC tend to be happier than at other ports heres a few: The crew buses are cheap and one fare is good all day, plus they work with what the crew that boards wants to do. Ex. First thing the driver asks when people get on is where they want to go (choices are MI mall, CB post office, WMart, Hdepot or the Beach). This can take a while because of language or timidness of the crew. The driver radios other buses, usually van size and they all meet at Kelly Park on MI to reorganize so crew can go where they want. I sometimes take the crew bus home post cruise because I live on their route so I know this first hand. At the MI mall there is a bar/grill/internet cafe run by two former crew called the European Cafe. It's packed on Sat & Sun where the crew (mostly from EEurope) can hang out, party, eat native food, or call home and shop. It's a big place with plenty of outside seating. Wmart bends over backward for the crew wiring $$ home, they bring in extra people to help and set special lines at customer service, and on Sundays when the CB post is closed even help with the shipping of goods home. At PC there is a non profit called the Seafarers Ministry, that is non-denom. where they serve food and drinks plus pool tables and internet if you have a seamans visa. They have a van that picks you up at the pier. That place was a life saver when the cruise ship Mirage II went bankrupt several years ago and the crew where stranded her for many weeks.

Wow...that is REALLY nice! I love to hear things like that!

Just a thought...if RCCL had intentions of keeping a voyager class ship at PC then why would they move the Mariner? It doesn't make sense to me.

I think it's looking much more likely that they would move a Freedom class here. I have heard rumors around here that the a Freedom class or even Genesis could come to PC but it's just a rumor.

PC is running a first class port and has every intention of keeping the cruise industry happy. That type of tourism has been very good for our area and there's no way they will lose it.

I also can't see RCCL wanting to give more business to Disney or Carnival. The Voyager and Freedom class ships are made with family in mind which means that PC is a perfect port. PC has made it clear around here that they are expanding the port to attract more tourism business. The PC area is also going to be changing with a huge new Ron Jon Resort & Conference center being planned (in addition to the Ron Jon timeshare resort).

I can't wait to find out! I wish my local newspaper would investigate this! Maybe I should put a bug in a friends ear that works for the paper...

Wow I can't believe the prices for the Marier in CA....we was checking to see maybe go out there..so we could go to different ports and still have the Mariner...the 3 and 4 th person $649...I can't believe that...

Someone else posted a link showing $200 off your cabin if you book the Mariner between now and early Sept I think the cut off date is.

OK, i agree...PC is nice and easy for me 2.

i disagree that it will be a Freedom class ship, here's why.

the Independence is scheduled to go back to southampton on apr 12 2009. count her out.

the Freedom and Liberty both have there schedules out and available to book until apr 26 and apr 25 respectively. now i have heard of RCI canceling one booking, but not 2.5 months worth of sailings. that is logistically a HUGE nightmare. also, if they wait until one of them are done in apr, then repo, that is a huge gap of only the sovereign in PC, not good. count both of them out.

my best educated guess would be either.....

A) another voyager class, possibly the navigator as it is currently only doing 4 and 5 nighters....waste of ship for that amount of time.

B) The Genesis project. it debuts around the same time, and according to PC's webpage, they are wanting to grow in the near future.

just my opninion....who does everyone else think??

Janet -- thanks for updating us on your response from Adam Goldstein.

As to your reply to Storm Goddess, there are some differences in itineraries -- Liberty does not stop at St. Thomas but Freedom does. And the Jan. itinerary for Mariner stops at San Juan instead of Coco Cay.

I think we've sailed together -- looking at your signature -- was it early June in 2005 -- western itinerary with a tropical storm that Capt. Johnny steered around? We could not get into Grand Cayman.

That is much the same as what he told me as well. I think RCI has a lot of thinking to do. I also think that they will put a suitable replacement in for Mariner all of this is happening in about 20 months time so they do have a bit of time to work it out. I think Liberty would be a good choice but there will be a 4 month gap if they do that as presently scheduled. Just going to have to wait. perhaps they will put a Celebrity Solstice class ship in there. The Millennium is leaving Florida as well and Celebrity will not have a lot of presence anymore either. Only time will tell on this :D

I agree with that, if they are just going to replace it with a voyager class ship why move the mariner? Why not just move a different one. I do wish RCCL would make an announcement with what they are going to do. If the port is so important to them as they say, then they must already know what they are going to do, why not just tell everyone to relieve our minds? Why make an announcement moving the mariner and just leaving port canveral people hanging. I tend to book my cruises at least a year out, what if we wanted to book something?

OK, i agree...PC is nice and easy for me 2.

i disagree that it will be a Freedom class ship, here's why.

the Independence is scheduled to go back to southampton on apr 12 2009. count her out.

the Freedom and Liberty both have there schedules out and available to book until apr 26 and apr 25 respectively. now i have heard of RCI canceling one booking, but not 2.5 months worth of sailings. that is logistically a HUGE nightmare. also, if they wait until one of them are done in apr, then repo, that is a huge gap of only the sovereign in PC, not good. count both of them out.

my best educated guess would be either.....

A) another voyager class, possibly the navigator as it is currently only doing 4 and 5 nighters....waste of ship for that amount of time.

B) The Genesis project. it debuts around the same time, and according to PC's webpage, they are wanting to grow in the near future.

just my opninion....who does everyone else think??

Good points. I still don't think it makes sense to permanently place a Voyager class ship in PC when the Mariner is already here...maybe a temporary replacement. Another Voyager class ship won't make sailing out of PC more attractive than sailing on the Mariner. What would make it more attractive is the Freedom class or Genesis class (not my preference but who cares!).

I have a feeling that the plans for PC are either directly or indirectly influenced by the Genesis arrival. Until RCI announces the port for the Genesis we may all have to wait to hear about the future of RCI at PC.:rolleyes:

No, it might not be logical for RCI to place another Voyager class ship in PC, as a replacement for Mariner. I also agree that RCI has come to some kind of decision abot a replacement, but is not ready to announce it.

But if the thinking has to do with a Genesis class ship, I would think their first ship of a new class would sail out of Miami for the first year or so, which would mean that PC would be left with only Sovereign for more than 4 months.

I love going out of PC. Hopefully, RCI won't leave us hanging for long.

No, it might not be logical for RCI to place another Voyager class ship in PC, as a replacement for Mariner. I also agree that RCI has come to some kind of decision abot a replacement, but is not ready to announce it.

But if the thinking has to do with a Genesis class ship, I would think their first ship of a new class would sail out of Miami for the first year or so, which would mean that PC would be left with only Sovereign for more than 4 months.

RCI always puts it's newest ships in Miami for a year or so and then moves them out when the next larger class moves in. I hope that PC does what is needed to get a Freedom Class ship. I suspect that RCI is waiting and negotiating with PC on improvements and such before making a commitment public. Moving Mariner out only to replace her with another Voyager is not a good choice economically. That means 2 different ships have to reposition. Now that is a big disruption. I suspect that Legend of the Seas out of the Dominican Republic will not fare so well and she could come to PC. Granted it is not a Voyager or Freedom but it is better than nothing.....

Hey Bill, tell Cindy I said hello! Maybe we should plan a reunion mariner cruise before it leaves! I would love to get back on her next january if I can.

Personally I think a freedom class ship will be put into that port, they do have to make some port changes and I agree I think that is what they are waiting for.

I love playing detective, but I don't know if I can take the suspense anymore :)

I suspect that we will be playing detective for a long time unless RCI decides to end all of the speculation and give us a date and a ship....But we will see soon enough.

Just did a little checking...

Unless I am missing something (and that could well be), it would appear that perhaps PC can already accomodate a freedom class vessel.

ACCORDING TO THE PORT CANAVERAL WEBSITE:

• The max draft the channel can accomodate is 39'6".
  • The various cruise terminal berths are listed at draft limitations of 31'6" to 35"0".
  • Cruise terminals 2 and 3 are listed as 'unlimited' under 'Vessel Length.'

ACCORDING TO THE RCL WEBSITE:

• The freedom class has a draft of 28', which allows for more than the port required clearance.
  • The freedom class length is listed as 1,112 ft.

I just sailed Mariner and loved her. West coast cruisers are very lucky to have her come 2009. However I didn't see a replacemet for Port Canaveral which is important as I live an hour away, and RCI could be dragging in more money from the peopl who travel to Orlando for the theme parks.

2009 (early) sailings as on the RCI website

Freedom-Miami

Liberty-Miami

Independence- Ft. Lauderdale

Voyager-Galveston

Explorer-Cape Liberty (NJ)

Adventure-San Juan

Navigator-Ft. Lauderdale

Mariner-LA

Ah!! But what about the Genesis project:rolleyes:

It was the last week of june, but I wish we had sailed together...as you can see from my signature...I do love the mariner! Once you have heard captain johnny saying good morning to you if feels like home...in fact my friend, who has been on her 9 times, had tags made for all of us with the mariners name and the saying "theres no place like home". I was going to do the mexican riveria early next year but I am going to cancel and plan on going on the mariner now, I guess Ill have to fly to the west coast to see her again, but I know my friends wont have a problem with that.

I truly just want another voyager class ship in florida somewhere, I would be lost without them and while I would miss the mariner I would at least be happy with a different voyager class....alas...no captain johnny...thats the sadest part!

I wonder if RCCL would transfer Captain Johnny to a Freedom class ship that would be placed in Port C. They have been moving captains. He is one of thier most skilled and most popular captains. His staff loves him because he gives them lots of recognition and makes his ships wonderful places to work.

I just sailed Mariner and loved her. West coast cruisers are very lucky to have her come 2009. However I didn't see a replacemet for Port Canaveral which is important as I live an hour away, and RCI could be dragging in more money from the peopl who travel to Orlando for the theme parks.

2009 (early) sailings as on the RCI website

Freedom-Miami

Liberty-Miami

Independence- Ft. Lauderdale

Voyager-Galveston

Explorer-Cape Liberty (NJ)

Adventure-San Juan

Navigator-Ft. Lauderdale

Mariner-LA

Ah!! But what about the Genesis project:rolleyes:

That's why I started this thread so that people would let RCCL know they want a big ship in Port C by direct contact and by a strong supportive thread.

That's why I started this thread so that people would let RCCL know they want a big ship in Port C by direct contact and by a strong supportive thread.

Based on the numbers and the days that this has been running I think that we have gotten a little notice. It is small compared to the celebrations going on in CC for Mariner to LA but at least we have made our voice heard some. I am sure that RCI is aware of this. I also believe that the quiet sneaky way they make announcements is outdated and that everyone should know immediately what is planned. Moving Mariner and not tell anybody replacement plans is just plain bad PR. RCI wake up and give us some good news. A lot of people are distressed about this. You have rewarded the West Coasters who have begged for years. Now finish things and fill PC's empty spot before Carnival takes the place from you.......

Archived