Just returned from Infinity 05-27-07, any questions?

cyscopup

We returned from Celebrity Infinity on Sunday 06/03/07 and would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.. The ship is wonderful, the weather was fantastic and the crew was terrific.

Hi: Thanks for offering to answer questions. We, too, were interested if they replaced the bedding in the standard balcony rooms? Did you notice any other softgoods being renewed? Did you have a naturalist aboard and what were your impressions? Hear any comments on the Specialty dining while you were aboard? Do you recall who the cruise director is for the summer?

Thanks a million!

I am assuming you were in alaska... I am despartely trying to pack!! layers-- everyone says layers... what did you pack???

We actually packed a couple of jackets and sweaters and the rest was exactly what we wear in Arizona. The weather for our trip was outstanding. The coldest day was at Hubbard Glacier, it felt like about 30 degrees and windy. Of course we may have felt like that because we stayed outside for about five hours that day. We saw four Orcas while entering Hubbard Glacier and dozens of humpbacks throughout the cruise.

The bedding was very nice and I think it was changed throughout the ship, but I would not guarantee that.

As far as Icy Strait, that is our favorite stop on the Alaska cruises. We always make a point of stopping in the "Office" bar and have a few Alaskan Ambers. If you happen to stop tell Mary, that Randy and Lori from AZ say hello.

There were some adjustments made to our schedule but I think they were weather (fog) rather than pod related.

I am assuming you were in alaska... I am despartely trying to pack!! layers-- everyone says layers... what did you pack???

I was on the same cruise, and, instead of bringing a heavy and bulky winter jacket, I brought clothes that could be worn in layers depending on the weather. For Hubbard Glacier, I wore five layers - undershirt, shirt, sweater, thermal vest and hooded woolen jacket, plus gloves. For the other ports which were warmer I wore three layers. In Icy Strait Point I wore shorts and two shirts and jacket, which, after considerable walking in sunshine the outer two were removed. When clouds came over, it became chillier, and I was thankful to put back on the outer two layers.

Donald.

Planning to go on an Alaskan Cruise on the Inifinity in 2008. Planning on a mini-suite.

What can you tell me about the quality of food and also the amenities in a mini-suite?

Did you use the speciality restaurant? If so, was the experience worth the extra money?

we did not use the specialty restaurant but had several friends that did and said that is was fantastic. We had very enjoyable tablemates from India and decided to have dinner each night in Trellis with them. As far as the suites and mini suites I am sorry but I was not in one. We had a large oceanview at the front of the ship which was terrific. It was at least twice as big as any oceanview we have ever had. It seems that tromvest and Celebritymania had experiences that can help you with those questions.

What can you tell me about the quality of food and also the amenities in a mini-suite?

By mini-suite, are you talking about Concierge Class or Sky Suite? I was in Sky Suite 8117. Amenities (also found in Concierge Class) included chilled champagne, fresh flowers & fruits, afternoon canapes, plush bedding & pillow menu. An umbrella and high-quality binoculars are provided. Suites have the services of butlers who will serve meals on white tablecloth, linen napkins and silverware, as well as 4 o'clock tea. Suites are roomier than Concierge Class.

Donald.

I am talking about a mini-suite. We are planning an Alaskan cruise on the Infinity in 2008 (two couples) and both want to stay in a mini-suite.

A couple more questions -

I notice there are only 4 mini-suites on the sky(9) and panorama(8) decks, and the penthouse deck (6) is made up of mostly mini-suites. Do you think service would be better on a higher deck with fewer mini-suites or doesn't that matter. Also, the 4 mini-suites on the sky and panorama decks are all on the port side where the mini-suites on the penthouse deck are on both port and starboard. Does the "side of the ship" matter from a sightseeing point of view.

Finally, how did you find the food in general - the main dining room, the buffets, etc. How many times could you have crab and/or lobster (my wife's favorite)?

Our butler stated that he is responsible for six suites - the four Sky Suites on my deck plus two larger ones elsewhere (probably the Celebrity Suites). I would think that butlers work with an equal number of suites, so service would be standard whichever suite you select.

Outside cabins on Deck 9 are immediately underneath the overhang of Deck 10. This may cut into your viewing pleasure, especially if you wish to take photographs of the scenery with some expanse of sky. I'm attaching two photographs taken last week from #8117. In the first, looking slightly forward at Hubbard Glacier, a portion of the overhang is visible in the upper right corner. Coming into Juneau and looking extreme forward, the overhang cuts into a major portion of the photograph.

It seems to me that suites on Deck 6 have portions of their balconies open to the elements, with reduced privacy from those in the cabins above. Those who've used these suites can provide better feedback.

I've noticed on my cruises that the port side faces Hubbard Glacier for a majority of the time. In Ketchikan and Juneau the port side faces these cities, so there's usually interesting activities to observe. A major part of the cruises are in passages, so you get one view going north and the opposite view back south.

Lobster tails are offered once, on the second formal night. I suppose that you (or your wife) can order more than one, especially at second sitting when there is likely to be a surplus of lobsters. I'm not sure if crabs are offered, as I don't look for it on the menu.

In my opinion, the quality of the cuisine in dining room and buffet are unchanged from what I've appreciated on previous Celebrity cruises.

Donald.

234655384_x2007Hubbard.jpg.bcedfe2e82e78f80e5c7a53d59126442.jpg

1244520372_x2007Juneau.jpg.bf6320d0d91c3bcea87679fcdae2c1ee.jpg

Archived