Be Honest!!!!!!

Number 1, it is VERY uncouth to brag about how much you pay for something. Completely inappropriate and shows a lack of home training.

Number 1, maybe you have nothing to brag about, except your lack tact! And "lack of home training" comment is just confusing!

Number 2, since you allegedly pay $10,000 for cruises, why would you book an oceanview in STEERAGE on such an old ship as the Elation?

Number 2, maybe to have some merriment! Some of us can have fun anywhere and anytime unlike some who complain about every little detail.

Finally, the fact that you had a wonderful experience in no way invalidates the OP's opinion. Sometimes it is simply a matter of what people are accustomed to in their everyday lives. One person may think the ship is fabulous, that the food is great, et cetera. Another person may think the ship is a broken-down, raggedy piece of crap and that the food is not fit to be served to a dog. Neither would be lying or exaggerating as far as how the ship appeared to him or her. Maybe the OP's standards are higher than yours. Did you ever think of that????

Finally, I don't believe anyone was trying to invalidate the OP's opinion. Why didn't OP just write a "members" review and people take it for what's it worth? No, OP chose to basically accuse people on this board (Carnival) of being dishonest and lying about the Elation! Go figure why people are a little incensed over this!

Well, I think a lot of people aren't 100% honest because they get slammed for doing so, even if they post negatives in a "nice" way.

I've only been on CC for about 4 months and I've seen this scenario happen quite often, so I'm sure you veterans have seen it as well. Even if you post the most perfectly balanced review (between good and bad) someone (or in some cases, someones!) will pick your negatives out of the whole review and bicker, argue and flame you for being so "negative" about their beloved ship/cruiseline/product whatever! :)

Good point. And this does not just stand for reviews, but for information when asked. I have seen people get flamed for correct information just because another poster doesnt agree, or doesnt have the correct information.

pompous remark:rolleyes: let's see...out of your "older CCL ships" shorter (5 day itineraries) that *suck* b/c "you get what you pay for", we have sailed: imagination, fascination, elation, fantasy...and that's just the "crappy" CCL ships, not including anything newer or other lines we have sailed (like DCL which was only a 4 day sea; 3 day land, but didn't suck).:rolleyes:

had a GREAT time, every time, mary... even if things didn't always go perfectly, so this is truly a case of "Speak for Yourself," thankyouverymuch. coming from one who has had their share of longer cruises too. i am sure many will agree, your comment is "out there."

I DID speak for myself. Thank you very much.

And I don't really care if you think my comment is "out there"

I've sailed carnival for the past 20 yrs now. The only time we did a short itinerary was 20 yrs ago. oh it was perfect, for what it was - a booze cruise.

DCL is a niche market. you simply cannot compare disney ships to the elation.

oh and I sailed the imagination and the sensation, only when they were new and doing 7 day itineraries. I wouldn't even think of getting on either of them now. Ships older than 5 yrs old are not in our plans.

Cheap cruises attract cheap cruisers.

We found that out the hard way. Manners out the window, and speech that made my skin crawl.

We made the best of it, and moved when things weren't to our liking.

Now I keep my eyes out for those "deep cut" bargains, and book somewhere else.

Number 1, maybe you have nothing to brag about, except your lack tact! And "lack of home training" comment is just confusing!

It has nothing to do with whether or not one has something to brag about. But since you are confused by such a simple statement as "lacks home training," any further explanation would be a complete waste of time.

What could totally destroy a vacation for one person may just roll off another's back. Even something as "bad" as a dysfunctional/"unsanitary" toilet can go either way for anybody. Some would be enraged about it, some would just say "Oh well, I'll use the bathroom in my cabin". It's all each individual's preferences and expectations, which makes even those most elemental things (such as cleanliness, etc..) subjective. Hope that makes sense!

Makes sense to me and my point exactly. Well said.

Roz - Sorry for your experience. Our Elation cruise was great. That's the lowest I'll rate any cruise.... because it's a cruise. Most have been outstanding. Even though we were in a Cat 11 suite on Elation, we felt cramped. It was the size of a standard balcony stateroom on newer ships. The ship showed it's age (I think you described some of the results of age.) As a result, we won't cruise on Carnival's Fantasy Class ships again. Inspiration was our first Carnival ship, but that was several years ago. Someone else aleady mentioned that they are all getting 'old'. We love their Spirit Class ships, though. And their new Splendor class looks to be interesting, although larger than we prefer. Their Holiday Class of ships are almost all gone, and their Fantasy Class will slowly be replaced next, imho. If you decide to go on CCL again, try a Spirit Class. I'm sure you'd like it. Happy future sailing!

Clutterlady - Victory's the oldest Carnival ship we've sailed. (All of seven years old:eek: .) And we're sailing her for the third time in August. Yeah, she's a little worn around the edges. No, she doesn't have the bells and whistles of the newer Carnival ships - no fridges in the cabins, no supper club, no sushi bar, no fish and chips. But we've had a great time both times we've sailed her - we enjoy the "seven seas" theme, the food has always been good, and we've never lacked for things to do. 68 days to go, and we can't wait!

One of the reasons we chose this cruise was for us is it's only an hour and a half drive to NYC, second it's only a 5 day summer get away for us. Don't need or want any bells or whistles, just want to sit back relax and not have to think too much about anything for 5 days. Never been north so we thought this would really be something different. We tried NCL Dawn last year for the exact same reason......quick get away.

Now if we're going to the Caribbean and hopefully in 2009 doing a Med cruise then we will cruise Princess because we feel it's a perfect fit for us on longer cruises. Not that other lines aren't good, we just prefer Princess the same way you prefer Carnival or any other line.

We're thinking about trying HAL and X also..........just love all the choices:)

Cheap cruises attract cheap cruisers.

We found that out the hard way. Manners out the window, and speech that made my skin crawl.

That's definitely an honest (to the point of bluntness) comment. :) We were actually thinking about Carnival to Bermuda or the Bahamas for a little break, since the Penthouse Suites (or whatever they call category 11 and 12) were so cheap - but I'd be interested in your opinion of the Miracle. I tend to agree that TOO cheap is really no bargain, so I'd appreciate any feedback.

It has nothing to do with whether or not one has something to brag about. But since you are confused by such a simple statement as "lacks home training," any further explanation would be a complete waste of time.

That comment was not at all confusing, for those of us who have had some. ;)

"Wizard", Maybe, their "Thorough" isn't yours. Other reviewers may not need to use the public restrooms, so don't review them. Maybe they have a cabin on a deck that is spared the "sewer" smell. They may have not been in the same places that the darling children were. That does not mean that they weren't "thorough" just had a different experience than yours. I've seen two different reviews of the same ship and same sailing that were night and day different. It's all in the perspective.

You cannot judge an entire cruiseline by one cruise on one ship. I LIKE the size of the Elation having sailed the Fascination, Sensation and Inspiration but they are a little older. It was sad to see some damage done by whom I don't know, probably someone who was "bored". (on all ships) It's probably an uphill battle to keep everything perfectly maintained.

I'll love to read your review of your Princess cruise.

Roz - sorry you had a bad cruise. Please don't judge ALL carnival cruises against this first one. It was an older ship and a cheap cruise.

What ship are you sailing on Princess? Maybe you can book the same level Carnival when you return and then compare again.

I hope when you return you compare apples to apples. If your Princess cruise is not the same lever (older, smaller ship) then you really won't be able to compre Carnival to Princess either.

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your next cruise.

I DID speak for myself. Thank you very much.

And I don't really care if you think my comment is "out there"

I've sailed carnival for the past 20 yrs now. The only time we did a short itinerary was 20 yrs ago. oh it was perfect, for what it was - a booze cruise.

DCL is a niche market. you simply cannot compare disney ships to the elation.

oh and I sailed the imagination and the sensation, only when they were new and doing 7 day itineraries. I wouldn't even think of getting on either of them now. Ships older than 5 yrs old are not in our plans.

i'll say it again...there are many CC members who have been on the Fantasy class ships and have had an absolutely wonderful time. your intimation that those particular ships are bargain basement, get what you pay for, is not, IMO, (and i'm sure the opinions of many others who have enjoyed this class), accurate.

to state this, and scare the bejeebies out of first time cruisers on this class (which you and Roz both did) is nothing but a shame. i hope they disregard your comments, and see for themselves. that's all.

... The only time we did a short itinerary was 20 yrs ago. oh it was perfect, for what it was - a booze cruise...

wow. thank you for that info. my kids never got to partake in any "booze" on any of the many "booze cruises" we have taken them on.

do you think i cld get a credit if i write to guest realtions?

wow. thank you for that info. my kids never got to partake in any "booze" on any of the many "booze cruises" we have taken them on.

do you think i cld get a credit if i write to guest realtions?

those carnival ships that did the 3-4 day bahamas cruises back in the 80s were party boats filled with people in their 20s. sorry to hear you missed the party. i went on one of those and had a great time and a few (:) ) drinks too. maybe things have changed now. but i'm not taking my family on anything less than a 5-day cruise.

To the OP I am sorry that everything went so bad on your cruise. Elation was our first ship to sail on in Oct. 2005 and it was wonderful. I do understand that every sailing is different and everyone's experience is different.

If I read what you wrote by being honest in the way you meant it, I felt you maybe meant to not sugar coat the negativites so others will not think their trip will be perfect. Is that correct? If so I felt it needed to be said.

It does seem that you get a much better response from people on the board when you are positive. Although I have never had an experience that even came close to yours, I did have a less than I expected experience when we sailed on the Conquest. After reading how "ugly" some people can get about making a negative comment it has left me wondering myself if people are alittle scared to mention the negatives.

On one thread a person was continually called a troll. I believe we can all be much kinder on this board. I believe we can state our differences without being rude to each other.

those carnival ships that did the 3-4 day bahamas cruises back in the 80s were party boats filled with people in their 20s. sorry to hear you missed the party. i went on one of those and had a great time and a few (:) ) drinks too. maybe things have changed now. but i'm not taking my family on anything less than a 5-day cruise.

well, that's kinda the point. that poster made the blanket "booze cruise" statement based on an experience 20 years ago. a lot has changed since then, i can tell you, b/c i have been on many w/ my kids.

and the fantasy class 5 days are great for us, b/c summer vacation aside, 5 day cruises are a max (w/ a w'end squeezed in-between) for thise of us who have a little inconvenience called "school" in the way. they are great ships, really.

The only time we did a short itinerary was 20 yrs ago. oh it was perfect, for what it was - a booze cruise.

For some reason you keep comparing the op's cruise to a short cruise. Granted it was not 7 days but it was not a 3 or 4 day cruise either. It was a 6 day cruise. :confused:

Archived