Cruise Sickness on Triumph?

MissyB

I have heard many people saying how awfully sick they got on their cruise from some type of virus. (They were not cruising with Carnival). I am sailing on the Triumph out of Miami in September and am very worried. Does anyone have any knowledge about this...experiences with Triumph, or suggestions on how to avoid getting sick???? Also, any compensation if I do go and the boat is "infected"? Any feedback is appreciated.

There is no such thing as a "cruise sickness." What this person is referring to is norovirus, aka Norwalk virus, and it strikes schools, nursing homes, hotels, offices, as well as cruise ships. Cruise ships are the only entities required to report outbreaks to the CDC, which is why this is perceived as a cruise ship illness. Usually somebody carrying the virus boards the ship, and due to the close proximity of everyone on the ship, it can spread. The best way to avoid getting it is frequent handwashing. You'll see a lot of people trumpeting Purell, and if that makes you feel better, go for it, but it cannot replace handwashing. Wash your hands before going through the buffet line, perhaps after (this is where the Purell could come in handy), always wash hands before eating anywhere, avoid touching hand rails, etc. Some prefer to use the bathroom only in their cabin, avoiding public restrooms. If you do use the public restrooms, they have little towels by the door to avoid touching the handles. If you do get sick, per your cruise contract, no compensation is required.

I have heard many people saying how awfully sick they got on their cruise from some type of virus. (They were not cruising with Carnival). I am sailing on the Triumph out of Miami in September and am very worried. Does anyone have any knowledge about this...experiences with Triumph, or suggestions on how to avoid getting sick???? Also, any compensation if I do go and the boat is "infected"? Any feedback is appreciated.

Again, it's Norovirus/Norwalk not "cruise ship sickness." All it takes is one person and the possibility exists for an outbreak.

Wash your hands and wash often.

Compensation...good question but I doubt it.

I agree completely about hand-washing. It's sooooo important. I also take along my own disinfectant bathroom wipes. I wipe down all door handles, taps, phones, light switches, etc. This is one of the first things I do when we get in our cabin. I'm not a clean freak but I work in a hospital and it makes you aware of infection control. :) :)

Not just for cruises anymore. Here in the Virginia Beach area we have almost shut down a hospital and a nursing home. I have been lucky so far and have not seen it on a ship that I have been aboard. Just remember that the crew does everything possable to prevent it and if you wash wash wash your hands it' s doing your part to keep you well. Have a great trip and try not to worry.

It can't be said enough: wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. And learn to keep your fingers out of your mouth. My wife and I also use hand sanitizer every time we use the stairs or touch a handrail. Use hand sanitizer before and after entering the dining room. With this regimen (and a few others) we've managed to avoid Norovirus. I wish I could say the same about the common cold. Seems like fellow passengers love to share their colds with us. I wish people could learn to cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze. Hope this helps.

Don't know about Triumph, but on many ships sanitizing lotion dispensers are placed at the entrance to eateries.

On my most recent cruise these dispensers were manned and people were required to use them.

Not so funny story. First day going into the buffet I lined up behind someone who tried to evade using the dispenser. He maintained that his hands were "clean" because he had just washed them in the cabin. Attendant didn't budge, which I quite liked. In the end, after arguing for a few minutes and at the urging of his wife he gave in. I didn't butt in, but I sure wanted to point out to him that he had just walked up the stairs and used the hand-rail. I also wanted to suggest that he spent more time arguing than it would have taken to put his hand under the dispenser. I guess some people simply don't like to be told that they have to do things, even when its for their own well being.

Archived