Inaugural 10/19/07 Cruise cancelled

1cruiselvr

I was booked on this Quest cruise and received the notice of cancellation this morning. I guess Azamara realizes they won't be ready in time for this sailing. Our options weren't much. Shipboard credit if we move to other dates. Nothing but a refund of deposit should we cancel completely. I am disappointed. Most of the dates offered aren't the same itinerary. We haven't decided what we are going to do yet. But I thought I'd let out the word......I guess the NEW inaugural sailing for the Quest is 10/31/07. Happy Sailing!

I thought there would be comments about this news. Everyone was speculating about whether or not Azamara was going to be ready in time to support the 10/19/07 Quest inaugural cruise. Now we know the answer. I wonder if the 10/31/07 will be the next sailing to get cancelled? Happy Sailing!

I was booked on this Quest cruise and received the notice of cancellation this morning.

I'm sorry to hear about your cruise being cancelled ... quite a disappointment for those booked. But after Journey's inaugaural cruise (and problems during the first month) they are probably doing everyone a favor by cancelling it now.

Best wishes with finding a replacement cruise or vacation. :)

When I saw the news of this cancellation, I checked to see if the people on the next Quest cruise on 10/31/07, were aware of their new status as the inaugural cruise. As best I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a Roll Call for this cruise. Just wondering if I'm missing something; I was rather surprised to see this.

nlvc12

I thought there would be comments about this news. Everyone was speculating about whether or not Azamara was going to be ready in time to support the 10/19/07 Quest inaugural cruise. Now we know the answer. I wonder if the 10/31/07 will be the next sailing to get cancelled? Happy Sailing!

I find it interesting that Azamara chooses to cancel the first cruise rather than cancel the last two or three cruises of the ship while it is still with Pulmantur. In my opinion they have made another faux paux by alienating their first group of passengers with limited compensation and now having the second group wondering how bad their cruise is going to be.

I was booked on this Quest cruise and received the notice of cancellation this morning. I guess Azamara realizes they won't be ready in time for this sailing. Our options weren't much. Shipboard credit if we move to other dates. Nothing but a refund of deposit should we cancel completely. I am disappointed. Most of the dates offered aren't the same itinerary. We haven't decided what we are going to do yet. But I thought I'd let out the word......I guess the NEW inaugural sailing for the Quest is 10/31/07. Happy Sailing!

Hi 1cruiselvr !

I am sorry your cruise was canceled, Unfortunately, I am not surprised. I remember how a few people on this sailing became testy with me when I first brought the possibility up a few weeks ago... when all of a sudden, there were no cabins available. The timing of it made it even more curious, as it was a few days after Journey's first sailing. It had the possibility of cancellation written all over it. I had the same thing happen to me twice with Celebrity over the past 2 years, and I saw the warning signs.

Anyway.... I am very sorry that your cruise was canceled, but I am glad that you found another sailing. I am scheduled to sail on Quest on November 24th. I hope MY sailing wont be the inaugural sailing :).

I find it interesting that Azamara chooses to cancel the first cruise rather than cancel the last two or three cruises of the ship while it is still with Pulmantur. In my opinion they have made another faux paux by alienating their first group of passengers with limited compensation and now having the second group wondering how bad their cruise is going to be.

Hi Dale Jr.

Please, tell me you arent serious. How do you expect Azamara to have the ability to tell Pullmantur to cancel THEIR sailings ? Why should they ? I realize that RCI owns both companies. However, it makes ZERO sense to expect them to tell Pullmantur to cancel sailings when they had a previous agreement regarding specific dates that Quest would be transfered to Azamara.

The mistake that has been made, is that Azamara should not have had such a tight drydock schedule. Period. They made the mistake with Journey, and they are rectifying it with Quest. Of course, its going to cost them in more ways than one.

As for the tail end of your post.... the Quest passengers were offered compensation for a cancellation of a Cruise that is 4 + months away. Did you expect them to get a free cruise too ? IMHO, thats not realistic at all.

Anyway, as I said in my last post... I am very sorry that the first Quest sailing was canceled, and I hope everyone will find another Cruise as soon as possible.

Thanks for your sympathy. I have already replaced my disappointment with anticipation for my new cruise - 11/24/07 sailing on Quest. Does this mean I get to meet you in person or do you remain a mystery? I am very excited about the new vacation plans but I'm sure on 10-19-07 I will be thinking at my desk 'I should be on vacation now'. Happy Sailing!

PS I wonder as I write this, if the additional 2 weeks will make THAT much of a difference preparing Quest to become part of the Azamara fleet. I'm thinking the 10/31/07 cruise will still be a 'work in progress' trip.

Hi Dale Jr.

Please, tell me you arent serious. How do you expect Azamara to have the ability to tell Pullmantur to cancel THEIR sailings ? Why should they ? I realize that RCI owns both companies. However, it makes ZERO sense to expect them to tell Pullmantur to cancel sailings when they had a previous agreement regarding specific dates that Quest would be transfered to Azamara.........

I was serious based upon the fact that the same person who made the decision to cancel the first Quest cruise has the same ultimate control over Pulmantur and could have just as easily done that. No matter what they did they were going to upset somebody, so why upset your potential high end customers versus those who probably will never sail on Quest and probably do not have much loyalty to Pulmantur (who does?)

As for the tail end of your post.... the Quest passengers were offered compensation for a cancellation of a Cruise that is 4 + months away. Did you expect them to get a free cruise too ? IMHO, thats not realistic at all.

No, not at all.

My post actually used the words "limited compensation" which I did not clearly spell out my intent. The words limited referred to the fact that they get future on board credit if they rebook with Azamara and nothing if they choose to book with another cruise line. It may be 4 months away but people probably have already booked flights, definitely arranged for time off of work, researched ports, etc, etc and are due some sort of compensation whether they rebook on Azamara or not. When you are booking a cruise there are some that work out perfectly and some that don't work at all. Potentially displaced passengers may not be able to find something that works for them, so why should they be left out of the loop?

It could be that they handle claims on an individual basis but to me that would seem like alot of extra work so the amount should be the same no matter what you choose to do.

Thanks for your sympathy. I have already replaced my disappointment with anticipation for my new cruise - 11/24/07 sailing on Quest. Does this mean I get to meet you in person or do you remain a mystery? I am very excited about the new vacation plans but I'm sure on 10-19-07 I will be thinking at my desk 'I should be on vacation now'. Happy Sailing!

PS I wonder as I write this, if the additional 2 weeks will make THAT much of a difference preparing Quest to become part of the Azamara fleet. I'm thinking the 10/31/07 cruise will still be a 'work in progress' trip.

Hi 1cruiselvr !

Yes, there is a chance we will be meeting, and that's great news. When I am on a cruise, I always go out of my way to meet fellow Cruise Critics, and I have made countless friendships over the years. Assuming I am on that sailing, we will meet !

We are currently booked Quest for 11/24. Now for the bad news... Due to a very serious injury in my immediate family, everything is up in the air right now. I am hopeful things will be improved by then, but we have to take a "wait and see" approach at this time.

Dale Jr. you have made some valid points. Post 9/11 travel is not what is was before that date and the period of time required to plan, book, confirm, execute, etc. is quite lengthy. It is quite possible that many have lost depositis are a result, but this is now the price to pay for wishing to explore the world. You must admit, this Celbrity/Azamara launch will make for interesting discussion in business school case studies on how not to build a brand!

. It is quite possible that many have lost depositis are a result, but this is now the price to pay for wishing to explore the world.

It is well within the full refund time slot so people will not lose deposits and if they booked air independently they should be able to recover the cost if they bought cancellation insurance.

They may still find another cruise going to simliar ports.

It is better that AZA cancelled now than a few days prior to the cruise. People have time to find an alternative vacation

I find it interesting that Azamara chooses to cancel the first cruise rather than cancel the last two or three cruises of the ship while it is still with Pulmantur.

Perhaps the drydock facility is already booked during the last 2 or 3 Pulmantur cruises.

In my opinion they have made another faux paux by alienating their first group of passengers with limited compensation and now having the second group wondering how bad their cruise is going to be.

I don't know what the shipboard credit amount is for those booking a future cruise, but hopefully it's enough to offset inconveniences and/or costs incurred. Air arrangements can be changed, hotels cancelled, and hopefully for most, vacation time rescheduled.

I think that if I was booked for the Oct. 31st sailing, rather than worrying about how bad the cruise was going to be, I would be feeling a lot better , knowing that they were taking an extra week to work on the ship.

It is well within the full refund time slot so people will not lose deposits and if they booked air independently they should be able to recover the cost if they bought cancellation insurance.

They may still find another cruise going to simliar ports.

It is better that AZA cancelled now than a few days prior to the cruise. People have time to find an alternative vacation

Hi LHT !

I agree with your comments. Better that they cancel now, then have a mess on their hands. This type of cancelation happened to us last year. We were booked on Celebrity Constellation for a sailing that was supposed to sail in April. Celebrity decided to send the ship to Europe early. Our sailing was canceled about 6 months before the sailing, and we were given a small OB credit to take the same itinerary, but 3 weeks earlier. Were we happy about it ? No. But we felt Celebrity was fair.

Hi - we were on the Oct. 19th Quest cruise & were lucky enough to be able to rebook the same cruise/stateroom for Nov. 12th.

Azamara was offering a $600/stateroom credit per suite and a $300 credit for all other passengers booking the same (or similar) cruise before mid-December. Probably the best deal was the opporutnity to take an 18 day Miami/Sao Paolo cruise on the Journey for the same price - the timing didn't work for us & the return airfare to Toronto was nasty but it was appealing.

Overall, not spectacular compensation but seemed pretty reasonable given how much notice they provided.

We were given a few Quest and Journey sail dates that they would honor same price and category if there was availability plus the shipboard credit. Trouble is Azamara doesn't do the same itinerary every sail date so there weren't many choices if the ports were important as they were to us. We are happy with the final outcome. I just hope that the Quest is ready in time for the 10/31/07 sailing. Those folks will be upset if they get a less than stellar experience. Happy Sailing!

As predicted, people complain when they don't cancel sailings....and now people complain when they do cancel sailings.

If they had sailed with things like how they were on the Journey, it would be dejavu with all the negative comments. So they try to avoid it, and still get negative comments. :rolleyes:

To the OP, I'm glad things worked out, and we can see how quickly they're fixing up the Journey, so I'm sure your cruise will be terrific.

I can't see how cancelling Pullmantur sailings will help a great deal. The lead times on building the new cabin modules and whatever new furnishings are coming on board has already been cast in stone.

Rearranging all the logistics to an earlier date would be a major headache. Nobody wants to hear bad news but I would agree it is the right decision. Hopefully everything will be ship-shape for February 16.

Bodger

We were booked on the Oct19th sail date and just booked on the Nov 12th cruise. Same cabin number even. This is actually the second cancelled cruise we've had since December. I'm glad they have the good sense not to sail when they are not ready. I think we'll enjoy the new sail date.

Archived