I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

i also enjoyed the curious incident of the dog in the night-time by mark haddon and i am currently reading a spot of bother by the same author also very good. if you like monsters and like to laugh then try chistopher moore, you suck, a dirty job, or my favorite lamb the gospel according to biff. an excellent book that i read everytime i am on a cruise is dont stop the carnival by herman wouk. it is about an american who moves to the caribbean in the 50's very funny. if you just want to be creeped out then anything from stephen king will do, just dont shut off the lights lol !!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this author was already mentioned. Sophie Kinsella. She has written a series of books. Confessions of a shopaholic, shopaholic takes manhattan, shopaholic ties the knot, shopaholic and sister. then there is undomesticated goddess.

she is hilarious. if you haven't read her, i suggest you start with confessions...too funny.

Linda

I don't know if this author was already mentioned. Sophie Kinsella. She has written a series of books. Confessions of a shopaholic, shopaholic takes manhattan, shopaholic ties the knot, shopaholic and sister. then there is undomesticated goddess.

she is hilarious. if you haven't read her, i suggest you start with confessions...too funny.

Linda

I sooooo agree with you. I loved these books so much the first time around that now I'm getting them in audio format.

I see you're on a cruise 5/11. I'll be on RCCL Liberty of the Seas 5/10. I wonder if our ships are in the same port at the same time.

No time to read whole thread, hope these aren't repeats:

Water for Elephants

anything by Mary Stewart ( old fashioned mystery/romance )

Patricia Cornwell (mystery)

shopaholic series ( fun)

The Historian (best book ever, travel, mystery, history, romance)

and of course, good old Harry Potter

enjoy!

I didn't read the entire line but one vacation author who is writing again is my old fav Dick Francis. His mysteries always have something to do even tangently about horses. He had said that his wife was his muse and that after she died he wouldn't write again but his son co-wrote a book with him and now he has another out. His books are little and easy to carry around plus I just like his style. I also just finished Wicked that the Broadway show is based on. It was weirdly interesting about what we "really didn't know" about Oz's Wicked Witch of the West. Also I do love the Evanovich series but was disappointed when she said something that made me know that I was supposed to identify with HER MOTHER and not Stephanie grrrrr. Gotta love that grandma though! I always picture the actress who played the Nanny's grand as Stephanie's grand. Right now I'm reading Arthur M. Schlesinger's Journals. As fun as his insider's bits are from the inside of politics during the Kennedy and other eras, it is too big to lug on a trip.

I would recommend The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. I found it hard to put down.

Just saw a commercial, this will be a movie with Scarlet Johanson (sp?), looks really good. It's been recommended by others but I just haven't picked it up yet, maybe now I'll just wait for the movie.:)

Recently visited Stonehenge and Winchester just before the November 2007 transatlantic trip from Southampton UK to Fort Lauderdale. A friend sggested "SARUM The Novel of England". It's a great historical novel reflecting the changing character of Britain by Edward Rutherfurd.:o Happy reading!

I have no idea if someone mention these books already - but here it goes:

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger -loved it, loved it, loved it. It sounds like a science fiction novel, but it is really more of a love story. I read it last year and had trouble finding a book I enjoyed as much.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - enjoyed as well. The story took a bit for me to become attached to, but when it did it held my attention very hard. About a young girl who is murdered and she is watching the interaction of those she loved from heaven.

I am reading Kitchen confidential..by Anthony Bordain...omg...it is so hard to put it down...the underbelly of the restruant world....I love his show on the travel chanel as well..I ordered both seasons of No Reservations...if you guys have not seen him...check hime out....just not for kids...:eek:

I've gone thru most of the posts and some are going to be repeats...

But my list consists of....

anything by Jodi Picoult.....Nicolas Sparks.....

The Secret Life of Bees...Sue Monk Kid

The Tender Bar...sorry don't remember the author

The Lovely bones was ok

The Other Bolyen Girl....Phillipa Gregory....there comin out with a movie at the end of Feb!!!

A million little pieces or My friend Leonard by James Frey!!!

BUT my absolute favorite is THE GLASS CASTLE..Jeanette Walls...the most amazing memoir I've ever read!!!!

and rite now I'm in the middle of.... Love in the Time of Cholera....Gabriel Garcia *****....touchin love story!!!

Happy CRUISIN!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read all pages yet, but just wanted to recommend again the Stephenie Meyer "Twilight" series. I believe these are categorized as "Young Adult", but all I can say is that this particular 30 year old, couldnt put them down and am anxiously awaiting the newest book :)

STEPHENIE MEYER

-Twilight

-New Moon

-Eclipse

I didn't read all pages yet, but just wanted to recommend again the Stephenie Meyer "Twilight" series. I believe these are categorized as "Young Adult", but all I can say is that this particular 30 year old, couldnt put them down and am anxiously awaiting the newest book :)

STEPHENIE MEYER

-Twilight

-New Moon

-Eclipse

Aren't they somewhat of the Vampire genre? I read that somewhere, but I could be wrong.:confused: