I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

I should be packing, but instead I've spent most of the day reading all 33 pages of book recommendations. My wish list at PaperBackSwap is overflowing.

A few faves that I didn't see mentioned are:

Jim Fergus's One Thousand White Women, a fictional account of a young woman in the 1850s who goes to live with the Cheyenne as part of a government program. It's beautifully written, and so personal, that it's easy to forget that it's fiction.

Mary Ann Shafer's and Annie Barrow's The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, an absolutely delightful book about a young writer in post-World War II London. She develops a correspondence with the members of a Guernsey reading group, and the relationships she develops change her life.

Lovers of cozy mysteries might want to try out D.R. Meredith's Megan Clarke series. And if you enjoy Southern fiction, be sure to try Ann B. Ross's Miss Julia series. Just don't be surprised if you recognize a few of your neighbors, or even yourself, in the small town world she creates.

Edited by DBMiller

My DW's BFF handed me George Burns' biography of his ditzy wife and comic partner Gracie Allen. It reads just as if George was standing next to you, you can hear his voice in your head. It's a really sweet book, and I'm surprised that a mystery/sci-fi/adventure fan like myself would be so captivated :o.

I work at a library and just read the new Linda Howard "Heat". It is set on a cruise ship and is really great! Lots of suspense, Sexual tension, and witty funny dialogue. Just my 2 cents worth!

Librarian Deb

mangomonkey, I think avid readers seek out great literature from everywhere. Almost everyone I know here in the USA has read "The Power of One" and raves about it. I hope you will like it, it is a stunning work.

"On the Beach by Nevil Shute" - a fantastic novel about the horrors of nuclear war. Set in Australia, it examines the life of a group of people as they prepare for their deaths.

"Freida and Min" by Pamela Jooste - a coming-of-age story of 2 girls in Apartheid-era South Africa. One of my fave novels ever.

"The Quality of Life Report" by Meaghan Daum - a twenty-something New Yorker moves to the Midwest and likes it. A funny, rather quirky novel that gives praise to what some people consider the USA's "flyover land."

"100 Shades of White by Preethi Nair" - a mother-daughter story that involves pickle making. A charming novel.

"Maya Running" by Anjali Banerjee - a novel about a young Indian girl growing up in Canada and the often hilarious vignettes of the "child of immigrants" experience.

"Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing up Iranian in America" by Firoozeh Dumas. Another funny memoir that is critical where warranted but also surprisingly affectiionate toward the USA.

"Five Past Midnight in Bhopal: The Epic Story of the World's Deadliest Industrial Accident " by Dominique Lapierre and Javier Moro documents the 1984 chemical leak in Bhopal, India. A must-read for anyone concerned about big business and its sometimes callous approach to human safety.

And, my fave novel ever, Larry McMurtry's "Lonseome Dove." In my opinion, the best novel ever written in the USA and one of the finest novels from anywhere; a worthy recipient of the Pulitzer Prize.

Edited by Bookish Angel

• 2 weeks later...

For a truly FUN book I would recommend TWENTIES GIRL by Sophie Kinsella (author of Shopaholic series). This is her latest book and I read it on my Kindle, but of course it would be wonderful in any format. I loved this book!!!

Has anyone read Timetraveler's Wife? I'm waiting to buy it a little closer to our cruise. If I buy it now I'll read it before then!:) ( It's not a Kindle booke yet.. not that I have a Kindle yet but I'm hoping:D)

I have not read it, but some people on one of the book threads I am on have and didn't care for it, with 1 not even able to finish it. If you go to Amazon, they should have reviews.

I finished The Tea Rose and loved it. It's a rather big book for a cruise though.

I am currently reading Jamaica Me Dead by Bob Morris, the 2nd in the Zack Chasteen series. I am pretty sure that it was recommended here and I am loving this series, so thanks to who recommended it.:)

Today I am reading 'Marie Antionette: The Journey', by Antonia Fraser. I love historical fiction novels, and although this one is a biography, it is very interesting!!

The fact that I picked it up for $4 at a secondhand shop helps, too!

Edited by mangomonkey

The Lord of the Rings...I'm currently re-reading for the umpteenth time.

Gee, LotR on a cruise? That must be a B2B2B2B cruise. Add a few B's if you include the Hobbit and the Silmarillion.:D

Maybe we should have a "Friends of Bill(bo)" :rolleyes: support meeting on a cruise, since we'd be double addicts--cruising and Tolkien.

A book I've recomended to many is Outlander by Diana Gabladon. It's in the romance section but not the typical trashy romance novel. More of a historical love story. There are 5 in the seris but the first is by far the best!

Have a great cruise!

Marion:)

I loved all of them, but I guess the first was the best. Large books that take a while to read, and occasionally make you chuckle out loud.

The Twilight Saga that's all the rage with teen girls right now has made the rounds in our office. We range from 30-ish to late 60's and everyone loved all four of the series.

I never go on any trip, even if it's a short one with at least three books. One for the plane trip going, one while there and one for coming home.

Tip: Start each one before you leave to make sure you're going to like them.

Lois

I just finished reading "The Blind Side" by Michael Lewis. If you are football fan it is really an interesting read. It is also almost a biography of Michael Oher. It is really touching the way one family reaches out to this boy and turns his life around.

Disclaimer: I am a little biased as Michael Oher was the left tackle for the Ole Miss Rebels. He was drafted #23 (maybe #24 can't remember) by the Baltimore Ravens. The story about his life and the Touhy's (former Ole Miss basketball player and his wife was an Ole Miss cheerleader) who adopted him is still really amazing and just exemplifies the Christian spirit.

ack! this is going to be hard for me. last time i ran out of books and had to borrow books from the cruise library. (so GLAD they had a library). this time we're flying, so i'm going limit myself to paperbacks-will still need what 10? I figure the week before i'll put a bunch on hold at library, pick up whatever they have for me Friday during lunch. we have to drive, fly, plus on the ship, then fly, drive home.

I read VC Andrews when I was a kid. after a few of them you figure them out. lol. but a good quick read for me now. I'm all about James Patterson, John Grisham, Jonathan Kellerman or Patricia Cornwell, etc. prob is, i've read them all!

I just got this book, so I haven't read it yet, but I think it'll be great for a cruise. "Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline: Where the Crew Lives, Eats, Wars, and Parties. One Crazy Year Working on Cruise Ships".

I just loaded it on my Kindle, which allows me to take all the books I want with me when I travel. YEAH!!

I just got this book, so I haven't read it yet, but I think it'll be great for a cruise. "Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline: Where the Crew Lives, Eats, Wars, and Parties. One Crazy Year Working on Cruise Ships".

I just loaded it on my Kindle, which allows me to take all the books I want with me when I travel. YEAH!!

I read that book on my Kindle a few months ago and LOVED it. I felt like I was right there on the ship. It's a PERFECT cruise book. My original intent was to save the book for a cruise ... but I couldn't <g>.