I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

I like to read "light" while asea (as well as in plane) so I turn to tried and true characters. One most enjoyable and she really is a CHARACTER is Agatha Raisin, an amateur sleuth. She stars in about a dozen "cozy" mysteries by MC Beaton. Light and fun and she can be maddening! Tip: start with #1 Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death.

Also, light is the Goldy culinary mystery series by Diane Mott Davidson. As if I needed to read about FOOD and recipes while on a cruise:D .

While not exactly light, Nelson DeMille's novels are still easier than Patricia Cornwell's. Like both authors, as well as Anne Rivers Siddons' novels.

One final question: why do not more ships have actual librarians and offer book discussion/groups? I really enjoyed that on a Celebrity Infinity crossing from Hawaii to Vancouver!

Valley of the Dolls by Jackie Suzanne is the best poolside read every, in my book. Its trashy, has great characters, and you can read it in a few days spent at the pool or by the beach. It's also hard to put down.

• 1 month later...

I think I've posted in here before (can't remember and don't want to look amongst the 47523942735 pages!).

Alisa Allan is a new author with AWESOME cruise reads. Each have a cruise incorporated into the story, but the storylines are "can't-stop-reading-even-though-I-have-a-million-things-to-do" good.

She came out with 6 so far, and I'd recommend them all (no sour apples).

http://www.bonvoyagebooks.com is the site I've gotten them all from. If you specify in your order they'll have the author sign them for you (I saw her at a signing in Memphis and learned this!!).

I think you can also get them at Barnes & Noble and Borders. They order them to the desk, but you can't get them signed or anything.

Other than that, I've run out of books, and need to research these pages for more. Happy Cruising!

Jennifer Cruise is a hilarious read. I just finished a cute book called "Blow me Down" (don't remember the author) about a woman who gets caught in a virtual reality game where she becomes a pirate in the Caribbean and can't get out. Its pretty appropriate for a Caribbean Cruise.

"House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski.

This book isn't for everyone, but for as long a read as it is (700+ pages), I've read through it rather quickly! It's absolutely insane, but I've somehow fallen in love with it.

This is a great thread! I leave on Saturday on the Navigator, and I have made a list of books to get. A friend recommended The Sweet Same Girls by Cassandra King, who is Pat Conroy's wife. We have a 9 hour drive to Miami, so I need a good read.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

OK - I'm new here and admittedly I haven't read all 18 pages of this thread - but I'm currently reading a great book. It is entitled "The Third Secret" by Steve Berry. The book is in the genre of the Da Vinci Code and is about the papacy.

Here are few that I have enjoyed recently.

Jennifer Weiner- Good in Bed and also Goodnight Nobody. Both were great.

Also if you like Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series you might try the series she co-wrote with Charlotte Hughes- Full Scoop, Full Blast and Full Bloom.

Bon Bon Voyage by Nancy Fairbanks

Found this book last week among the "new" books in the library. While it's not the most suspenseful mystery I've read, it takes place on a cruise ship. Definitely a "easy" read. Some of the conversation in the book makes me wonder if the author is a Cruise Critic reader. :D There are a few "hot" topics discussed on CC throughout the book. Cigarette smoke blowing onto non-smoker balconies, complaining passengers getting "freebies", and overpriced shore excursions you can do on your own cheaper etc..

I second the recommendation of Jodi Piccoult. I am NOT a reader of fiction usually and I started reading her from a suggestion of a friend and I have bought almost all of her books! I read The Tenth Circle first, then My Sister's Keeper, Second Glance, Plain Truth, and The Pact. They are really interesting and each kind of takes one or more social or human "issues" and has the characters 'deal' with them throughtout the stories. Plus a lot of other story lines going on at the same time and usually a climax that it hard to predict and will either leave you crying or just in total shock or wondering 'what the heck?' Anyway, I would read My Sister's Keeper first if you would like a specific suggestion and see if you like her style. Some do, some don't, it is just personal preference. But take it from someone who has a hard time finishing ANY book, these are interesting.

Denise

One of my favorite things to do is read a good book on vacation, especially by the pool on a cruise. The worst thing in the world is bringing a couple of books to read, and they are all no good, boring, horrible to read.

Soooooo. Does anybody have any recommendations? (I have already read War and Peace!)

Peace and love to all.

without knowing if your a man or woman and what type you enjoy reading the most, makes it hard.........but Dan Brown is good, Nora Roberts and Luanne Rice also

For a thoroughly entertaining, humorous read, try anything by Mary Kay Andrews. I discovered her books in the ships library while cruising two years ago. Itty Bitty Lies and Hissy Fit were great reads. Guess she used to write mysteries under another name but has switched to writing humorous type books now. Think she has written either 4 or 5 books in this new "style".

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "Birth of Venus" by Sarah Dunant and really loved it. I read it in 2 days because I couldn't put it down. It takes place in Florence during the Renaissance and puts lots of art & places into context, but definitely not a stuffy historical.

I just finished the lastest Stephanie Plum installment by Janet Evanovich, Twelve Sharp. I was sorta let down by Eleven on Top last year but I thoroughly enjoyed this latest one. It kept me so entertained that I finished it in less than 24 hours.

I kind of got tired of the Stephanie Plum books, but I might have to pick up the 12th one after the rave review.

I love your avatar ... as you can see by mine <g>.

Lynn