I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

I was just about to get on here and write a post about a new author, but then saw this link and figured I'd post it here!

Winds of Change, by Alisa Allan

After Midnight, by Alisa Allan

To start off- I am a big reader. I read everything from James Patterson, John Grisham, Janet Evanovich, Danielle Steel, Catherine Coulter, Judith McNaught to Fitzgerald, Hemmingway and Dickinson. I looooove traveling (cruising) and having a good book to read while sitting in my beach chair with the surf rolling over my feet. The books I just recently read were my FAVORITE beach reads ever, and can't wait until the next one comes out. I signed up for the author's newsletters on her website just to get a heads up about when the next one is released!

I took the NCL Crown to Bermuda in May- and right before I left I read a book my aunt had passed along to me since I was going. Winds of Change by Alisa Allan and to make a long story short it was a romance novel- but in it the characters took a cruise to Bermuda. I read the book in a few short hours and couldn't put it down. When I went to Bermuda I felt like I'd been there before because all of the places and things to do were in the book I'd read. While I read I even had a mental "must-do-list" from what the characters had done. Not to mention the story and characters were great. Haha.

Apparently this author loves traveling, and cruises especially, and in all of her books different places are visited. I read her second one that's been released, After Midnight (my favorite so far), and it had a cruise to the Mexican Riviera and then the Canada/New England cruise. While reading I "kind of" had an idea of what ships they were on just from the descriptions of restaurants and lounges, and think I've been on a couple!

I just think it was fun reading about characters who are doing what I love to do most, traveling and cruising. I love reading books about places I've been and things I've done- so these were perfect for me.

My aunt got her copy at Barnes and Noble- but I was on the author's website and figured I'd post that up because they have a sale of both books for $20 (They're $12 each at Barnes & Noble)- and the author signs the ones purchased from the publisher's website for free.

http://www.traveltimepress.com is the website. Email me if you have any questions, but I loved these books and figured I'd pass the word along to my fellow cruisers/travelreaders.

Just finished reading the first two books. They are nice easy reads. I enjoyed both of them and plan on reading the third one that is out now. I believe she has one scheduled to come out every month for the next 3 or 4 months. Good reading. Romantic but not too sappy or detailed on the sex. Lightweigh paperback to easy to carry. Good story lines and characters. Other than calling the Mexican Riviera (Acapulco, Cabo, PV, etc.) the Caribbean during both books I would say they were fairly believeable fiction books. I bought them based on the recommendation here and would agree that they are worth the read. Looking forward to reading her future books.

I'm a bookcrosser also, but I've always just donated a book to their library. Where have you left books that have been picked up? I'll try that next time! :D

What is a "bookcrosser"? Have never heard of this. Always leave extra books in the ships library just to keep from carrying them home.

I think 'bookcrosser' has a website, I thought I read it a few posts back. I remember going to the website once and it's my understanding you put a label in the book and leave it somewhere and whoever finds it can register it on the website and you kind of track its travel. Keep meaning to do this with a few, it's on my list of 'Things To Do' that just keeps growing! lol

I think 'bookcrosser' has a website, I thought I read it a few posts back. I remember going to the website once and it's my understanding you put a label in the book and leave it somewhere and whoever finds it can register it on the website and you kind of track its travel. Keep meaning to do this with a few, it's on my list of 'Things To Do' that just keeps growing! lol

Skiiergirl... also wanted to reply to your other thread about Alisa Allan's books. I've only read the first one, Winds Of Change, so you're ahead of me, but I loved it! I think I'm still dreaming about Carter. Are you? Or am I the only one!

You're ahead of me and I'll have to catch up but they are great cruise oriented books. As a cruiser, loved reading about the ports and such. And I like the fact that she's very conservative when it comes to the sex scenes, I don't need to read about every detail and I like that she doesn't go into too much. Can't wait to read my next one, I just ordered it.

Skiiergirl... also wanted to reply to your other thread about Alisa Allan's books. I've only read the first one, Winds Of Change, so you're ahead of me, but I loved it! I think I'm still dreaming about Carter. Are you? Or am I the only one!

You're ahead of me and I'll have to catch up but they are great cruise oriented books. As a cruiser, loved reading about the ports and such. And I like the fact that she's very conservative when it comes to the sex scenes, I don't need to read about every detail and I like that she doesn't go into too much. Can't wait to read my next one, I just ordered it.

Any recommendations for a good read related to Southern Caribbean itinerary, perhaps pre-cruise and during, for a Mom and daughter (12 yr old very advanced reader)?

We often share books - it's a regular cat fight when the HPs come out - we have to set up times to "take turns" and then we both try to cheat. LOL

But it's great to talk about the books we share even when we don't share the same opinions.

Recent reads we enjoyed include Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, The Lovely Bones, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, LOTR, The Secret Garden, Ray Bradbury, Lord of the Flies; she loves most classics and I reread them for an instant trip back to days of youth. :)

Over the summer she made time to catch up on some of the popular children's series; A Series of Unfortunate Events, Narnia, and Jenny Nimmo's Charlie Bone series while I caught up on Koontz and King. We had mixed reviews about each other's choices.

SO we have quite varied taste but are both looking for a recommendation for a read with Caribbean overtones to put us in mood for our NOv cruise and any recommendation to share on board.

Thanks in advance!

Tina

Any recommendations for a good read related to Southern Caribbean itinerary, perhaps pre-cruise and during, for a Mom and daughter (12 yr old very advanced reader)?

Jimmy Buffet's books are decent reads and most have an overwhelmingly Caribbean/tropical feel.

If either of you like mysteries, Carolyn G. Hart's "Resort to Murder" takes place in Bermuda and having been there, I think she did a great job of describing the culture, architecture, etc.

Travel guides regarding the S. Caribbean would be good to read. I prefer the Lonely Planet guidebooks.

You and your daughter might enjoy checking out http://www.bookcrossing.com which tracks books that people leave (and find!) in public places. I have left quite a few books on cruise ships and have had a few picked up and journaled.

momofone

I highly recommend NUMBER THE STARS for your daughter (and you, too, will love it).........it's not too long but tells of Danish families saving Jews by transporting them in their fishing boats. The kids of the families have jobs to do to support this; my 7th and 8th graders just devoured this book and I, too, learned something!;)

I am a BIG, BIG reader but I take a book to the airport, I take a book on a cruise and if I read ten pages, I'm lucky!

Tell me how you do it?

I get caught up people watching in the airport. I get caught up doing everything on the ship...............running here and there.

Twice I've taken my book to the forward lounge (different name on each ship) and what did I do? Start to read, get too warm, fall asleep.

Hi everyone, I love this thread! We are sailing oct 30. And I am trying to find a can't put down read.

I wanted to say a bit about Jodi Picoults "My sisters keeper". Several posts mentioned this book. This is the best book I have ever read. It has twists and turns like you wouldn't believe. It is a very emotional read, I think I cryed 2-3 times while my DH was laying next to me in bed thinking "she's nuts".

I also loved the Notebook by Sparks. Wonderful love story!

I like Stephen Kings "Pet Sematary", really good horror read.

I am trying to read the Kite Runner right now, it came highly recommended. So far its pretty good.

Happy cruising everyone!

Donalee

Hi everyone, I love this thread! We are sailing oct 30. And I am trying to find a can't put down read.

I wanted to say a bit about Jodi Picoults "My sisters keeper". Several posts mentioned this book. This is the best book I have ever read. It has twists and turns like you wouldn't believe. It is a very emotional read, I think I cryed 2-3 times while my DH was laying next to me in bed thinking "she's nuts".

I also loved the Notebook by Sparks. Wonderful love story!

I like Stephen Kings "Pet Sematary", really good horror read.

I am trying to read the Kite Runner right now, it came highly recommended. So far its pretty good.

Happy cruising everyone!

Donalee

I just ordered 'My Sisters Keeper' as it was mentioned several times in this thread and I've heard good things. LOVE other reader personal recommendations rather than what's on top of the bestseller list. I've made that mistake before, spending money on a book because it was on the bestseller lists, then realized it was there because the publishing company had a good chunk of money into promotion and not because it was good! lol

If the Notebook is your taste, you'll love the book mentioned above by Alisa Allan. Winds Of Change. I loaned it to a friend and the Notebook was her favorite all time, and she said this one beat that. This was a 'can't put down' book for me, I haven't had one of those in a long time.

And for the poster looking for something on the Southern Caribbean, the same author of Winds Of Change, Alisa Allan, has several coming out, all of different cruise regions, so you might check that site. And her first one would be suitable for 12 year old I think, nothing graphic, and I imagine her others are the same, you might want to read first though, just in case.

I have such a long list of books now, I'm kinda glad winter is coming up so I can curl up and read them all!

One of my VERY favorite authors is Sharyn McCrumb. She has two types of books. Her murder mystery series featuring heroine Elizabeth MacPherson are a stitch, and I totally enjoyed them for light reading. However, the best works she has done are what she calls her "ballad" novels, set in Appachalia. McCrumb is a North Carolina mountains native, and it shows, with great sensitivity and insight into the mountain culture. My favorite of her ballad novels is "The Rosewood Casket", although I have loved everything she has written. She's a real talent, IMHO.

THANKS, too, for all the great suggestions....I may go broke, but I'll die happy!

Anni

I'm new to this thread....what a great idea!

Just finished "The Birth of Venus" by Dunant. It was one of the best books I've read in awhile. It's a nice mix of fiction and history of Florence, Italy and the early 14th century art. Reminded me a little of "Girl with a Pearl Earring," another great book which I clearly remember reading on vacation, sitting on a beach on The Big Island.

My next book is going to be "A Million Tiny Pieces" (I think that's the name) by Fry. It's a recent Oprah recommendation......

I'm addicted to Harry Potter and Dan Brown's books. I've read those books several times.....sigh.

An interesting book for world travelers is "The World is Flat" by Friedman. It's not fiction but it sure makes you think about how civilization is changing.

If you like reading about Asian culture, you might enjoy "Women of the Silk" or "Wild Swans."

I adore Dean Koontz. He has a new one coming out in November which I will TRY to put aside for the Mexican Riviera on the Oosterdam. Also love Fannie Flagg, Mary Higgins Clark, James Patterson. I am also saving The Historian by Elizabeth Costova for the flight out.

This is a wonderful thread. I have written down so many authors I want to try!!

Nancy

mahreeya - one of the best books I've read in a long time was "Bet Me". I read all kinds from John Grishm to Sandra Brown to Jeffrey Deaver. My girlfriends gave me this book for my birthday and I LOVED it~~~:D Finally talked my husband into reading it and he finished it in 2 nights, couldn't put it down. This book was on the New York Times top 10 list forever and may still be. Sorry I loaned the book out and can't remember the authors name but I think her last name was Crusie (maybe)....You won't be dissapointed (except by maybe some stares from people looking at you as you laugh out loud :) )

**Jennifer Cruise** Great book BTW

Mystery - JD Robb (Nora Roberts), Diana Mott Davidson, Janet Evanovich,

Patricia Cornwall

Scifi/Fantasy - Mercedes Lackey, Jim Butcher, Anne Scarborough

Thiller - John Grisham, Dan Brown, Robert Ludlum

Romance - Rachel Gibson (lol), Johanna Lindsey, Nora Roberts

Hope this helps...Windy

I am a voracious non-fiction reader, The following are some of the best I have read in the past few months:

"My Life in Orange" by Tim Guest is the author's story of growing up in communes in India, England and Oregon with Bagwan Shree Rajneesh. This is one of the best books I have read in awhile.

"The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" by Anne Fadiman is the account of a young Hmong girl with epilepsy and the East meets West controversy that ensues during her treatment. A good overview of Hmong culture as well as some information on the broader Laotian culture. One of my all time favorite books.

"The Mold in Dr. Florey's Coat: The Story of the Penicillin Miracle" by Eric Lax tells about the culturing and wide spread production of the wonder drug. Fascinating.

"Mystery of the Nile" by Richard Bangs and Pasquale Scaturro is the harrowing account of the first expedition to traverse the entire length of the Nile on rafts. If you saw the IMAX film (a real white-knuckler!), you will enjoy this book immensely.

A good place for other book recommendations are the sites for the Pulitzer, Booker, Nobel and Orange prizes; just search on any individual prize and the you will find the website with info on current and past winners.

• 2 weeks later...
I am a voracious non-fiction reader, The following are some of the best I have read in the past few months:

"My Life in Orange" by Tim Guest is the author's story of growing up in communes in India, England and Oregon with Bagwan Shree Rajneesh. This is one of the best books I have read in awhile.

"The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" by Anne Fadiman is the account of a young Hmong girl with epilepsy and the East meets West controversy that ensues during her treatment. A good overview of Hmong culture as well as some information on the broader Laotian culture. One of my all time favorite books.

"The Mold in Dr. Florey's Coat: The Story of the Penicillin Miracle" by Eric Lax tells about the culturing and wide spread production of the wonder drug. Fascinating.

"Mystery of the Nile" by Richard Bangs and Pasquale Scaturro is the harrowing account of the first expedition to traverse the entire length of the Nile on rafts. If you saw the IMAX film (a real white-knuckler!), you will enjoy this book immensely.

A good place for other book recommendations are the sites for the Pulitzer, Booker, Nobel and Orange prizes; just search on any individual prize and the you will find the website with info on current and past winners.

Bookish Angel... I joined bookcrossing.com after reading your post on this forum and I did my first "wild" release today! I am looking forward to releasing books on my upcoming cruise as well! I entered Bookish Angel as the person who referred me, but it didn't show up so it must not be your actual member name....

It has to be entered with the hyphen; Bookish-Angel. Don't worry about it, though.

Cruise ships are a good place to release books - I;ve had a couple picked up and journaled. Congrats on your first wild release; isn't it a hoot? I always feel a bit like a secret agent when releasing books!

I just put aside a few choices for my trip (unless I change my mind;) ). I aslo looked on the Los Angeles public library website and entered Hawaii as a keyword to get some more choices of books about my destination. I picked up a couple of kids books for my girl to read (all she really knows is Lilo and Stich) and a couple of mysteries set there for me to read while waiting for the trip. I also write down a few titles to keep an eye out in the bookstore for (for the actual trip).

I've been thinking Antonio Banderas for Ranger. He's now starring as Zorro.

My recommendations-- all which were page turners for me:

Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore (for Christmastime, but warning, its a raunch-fest! But the funniest book I've ever read.

Second Glance by Jodi Picoult -- a fascinating ghost/romance story

No Way to Treat a First Lady by Christopher Buckley-- reminds me alot of Janet Evanovich's humor/mystery combo

The Gunslinger (Dark Tower Series) by Stephen King -- I am a girlie, and I hate westerns, and i thought I was going to hate this book.....wrong! Loved it, and reading the whole series now.

The Third Secret by Steve Berry -- if you like Da Vinci Code, a similar but well written book.