Reversing Falls - When to be there?

I'll be is St John's on the Carnival Victory on Aug 4. I want to see the Reversing Falls. According to the tide schedule for that day, low tide is 10:23 AM and high tide is 4:32 PM. When should I plan to be there to get the most out the changing tides?

they will be the same - just reverse. 10:23 would be ideal as the late afternoon cuts it too close to get back to your ship. Best to view at extremes, whether high or low.

The Reversing Falls is where the Saint John Harbour (off the Bay of Fundy) meets the St. John River. The Bay of Fundy, due to it's funnel shape, has the highest tides in the world (up to 52'). When the tide comes in, the harbour has more water than the river - so there is a falls towards the river. However, when the tide goes out, the river has more water so there is a falls is the reverse direction falling towards the harbour. Now we aren't talking like Niagra Falls - may look more like swirling water alot of the time.

We'll be on the July 9th sailing. How do you find out what the tide will be when you are there?

You arrive in Saint John on the 11th - so peak high tide is 9:30 AM and peak low tide is 3:41 PM

Ok... I found out when I am going to be there. September 18th from 11am - 5pm. It sucks that this is our shortest stop, but if anyone can tell me if we will be there for any tide change, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks again.

I'll be is St John's on the Carnival Victory on Aug 4. I want to see the Reversing Falls. According to the tide schedule for that day, low tide is 10:23 AM and high tide is 4:32 PM. When should I plan to be there to get the most out the changing tides?

I was just there and my suggestion is to go as close to both low and high tide time so that use cn see the difference in the changes. It costs 2.50 by bus from market square to get there and the same back, or about $8 by cab from peir each way or you can rent the cab $45 an hour and they will take you to see other stuff.

Perhaps I'm not getting it, but in order for anyone to see any changes, wouldn't you have to observe over a long period of time, or at least visit the site at different times of the day? For example, to actually observe the falls "reverse", wouldn't you have to sit there for a few hours?

2 years ago we saw this. Our guide told us we timed it just right that afternoon.

Personally - I could have skipped this. I thought it would be more exciting then it was. It wasn't exciting at all and except for saying that I have seen it, I didn't gain anything from the experience.

I wouldn't make this a priority on your trip if there are other things you want to do.

2 years ago we saw this. Our guide told us we timed it just right that afternoon.

Personally - I could have skipped this. I thought it would be more exciting then it was. It wasn't exciting at all and except for saying that I have seen it, I didn't gain anything from the experience.

I wouldn't make this a priority on your trip if there are other things you want to do.

I totally agree

We were just there 2 weeks ago. To view the rapids from the shore is OK, but to really see the water flow, go on the jetboat in the rapids themselves. It was a lot of fun and you do get wet, but they do supply slickers. We went very close to the falls as the water was entering the Bay. It was quite impressive to see the massive amt. of water and that the river was several feet higher than the rapids (at that point in time).

Archived