Tour Sharing

brian_uk

Does anyone have any experiences they want to share about arranging TourSharing with people met on the net.

We always arrange our own Tours for just the 2 of us as we have heard that some Meets are disasters........with people just not getting along or having different agenda.

I would hate to have arranged a Tour Share and then found us cooped up in a car for 6-8 hours with Smokers for example...or a couple who wanted to change my arrangements or destinations en-route.

We have spent many happy tours with Couples met on board but I do hesitate to pre-arrange.

Brian

I agree

We spell out the tour and the smoking rules ;)

Then people know if they can fit in with that schedule.

We have never had a problem, if they are smokers they wait for a stop then go aside & smoke.

Most tour guides we have had say "no smoking in the vehicle"

We have never had a problem. We have always had the itinerary mapped out in advance and any special requests made beforehand, so there was never any disagreements about where to go.

Hi Brian

We have had mixed experiences. I don't want to be specific because people may read this and make false assumptions. However suffice to say that we have made lifelong friends on shared and pre arranged tours, but that this time we won't be tour sharing with anyone. Tour sharing invariably means compromise and if you are likely to only ever have one day in a particular place; you may not want to compromise, and some eventualities can't be foreseen.

I agree with Lahore; we have had a couple of negative experiences and wonderful experiences, so mixed. I don't want to get into specifics either; but it's sort of the luck of the draw as some people don't appear to be what they initially seem to be.

However, I must say the positive aspects outweighed the negative.

Our initial experiences were mixed as well. The best advice probably is "Get To Know Your Potential Travelling Companions." If they're CruiseCritic members, check their previous postings to see if you want to be cooped up in a van with them for eight hours! Are they optimists? Pessimists? Critics (the board's title notwithstanding)? Do they seem like experienced travellers? Novices? If they're too new to have a posting history, communicate with them by email to check their tastes, preferences, and interests. If you feel comfortable with them, you can invite them to join you - just keep in mind that it's YOUR tour and nobody's forcing you to share it!

We've been on enough Oceania cruises to encounter former fellow passengers booked on our future cruises, so we've been fortunate to have a pool of ready and enjoyable partners to share our independent shore excursions (and some of them have offered to share their tours with us).

The problem is that al these processes sound so formal.......almost like job interviews.

Last year we chatted with a number of CC people on here and were glad that we had not arranged anything with one specific couple. We shared with several great couples even taking one with us to Antibes on the train from Monaco....what a great day.

Only a few weeks to go................lets see what happens

Brian

Hi Brian, I agree that it's so formal and consequently doesn't bode for a good relaxed relationship. So this time i am posting on the roll call, but despite a couple of people suggesting shares I have said something like 'we tend to have somewhat eclectic tastes so we have learned not to share tours', however we are very happy to share information. I figure with the very large amount we save on what we do onshore vs organised tours; we can afford to do it solo. The other worry is - when you are the one doing the reseach and organising - if something goes wrong and the sharers don't enjoy you can be left feeling bad. I have decided i would rather not take that responsibility.

The problem is that al these processes sound so formal.......almost like job interviews.

That's a very good analogy!. When applying for a job, it's not just the technical skills an employer is looking for - he's also looking for personal compatibility. If you're going to be spending the next two weeks with these people, being cooped up in a van with them for eight hours a day, and potentially spending dinnertimes with them (especially if they're the aggressive types who make it a sport to hunt you down and eat with you every chance they get), you'd want to make sure you'll get along with them, BEFORE entering into a financial commitment to share the costs of your shared tours. If you find out they're bores or snores once aboard ship, it might be too late to cancel your arrangements and find alternative guides.

If you can find suitable companions here on CC before you leave, wonderful! If not, it might be better to go solo than with the wrong mates. Incidentally, if you book solo tours and find a couple onboard whom you like, you can always contact your guides to find out whether they have space for two more - we've done that before without a problem, especially if the guide is using a minivan.

Originally Posted by brian_uk viewpost.gif

Hi Brian:

We have completed 3 Oceania cruises and are on one in November 2007 out of Istanbul. We have also participated in private shared tours on these cruises and have met some very fine people. Those who book on Oceania are interested in the itinerary and most probably are interested in meeting and sharing private tours. Most are also somewhat nervous of exploring new territory on their own.

We have established tours and are inviting others to join. The itinerary is provided and subject to some mutual changes. We enjoy meeting others and have been successful to date and have not had any problems. Some keep in touch afterwards by email to see if we can meet up again. This is part of touring the world and meeting nice people.Flexibilty is of course a must.

If you wish to contact us for more ideas, please feel free at molliem@shaw.ca

By the way, yahoo Oceania site has many cruisers looking for sharing private tours.

Elwin

Interesting topic. If one is going to join ship's tours, one will be sharing with 30+ fellow passengers anyway.

Issue about smoking....... O passengers probably realize/expect a no smoking policy will be extended to ship's tours, so very likely private tour participants will have this understanding as well.

Since the private tours I've set up already have itineraries designed by highly recommended guides, I am comfortable going along with what is being suggested. I'm just happy to be able to see these wonderful places.

Case in point, Molliem who posted before I is someone I've met on Roll Call but not yet in person, and will be on a private tour together in Istanbul this Nov. People who meet fine people are often fine people themselves.

Elwin, did you receive my e-mail a few days ago about our Istanbul/Ephesus tours, plus any other ones we can plan on?

Tak2

On the Ephesus trip please mnake sure that they start at the TOP of the site and work your way down...........

The Car can drop you there and then drive down so it is ready to meet you later.

Brian

Hi Brian...........We usually spell out our requirements and preferences or we point blank ask questions while arranging tour sharing over the net on the roll call. So far have not gotten burned.....but most of the time my wife and I make arrangements for ourselves only and have a great time.

CIAO,

Archived