Shopping in FLORENCE

Does anybody know if the WONDERFUL San Lorenzo Market in Florence is open on Sunday's? Also, where are your favorite places to shop in Florence? I'm interested in fashion, leather, bedding (textile), decorative items for the home, and entertaining/cooking merchandise....:). I hope we won't find too many shops and restaurants closed on a Sunday!

I heard there are designer outlets in Florence. Are they in the main city? Wonder if it is worth a trip to them. I do agree that the Euro is very high, so not sure if it would be such a bargain. I'd love to know where they are if anyone knows.

The outlets are not in the city of Florence. And they are not all in the same place, so I'm not sure it's worth it if you have limited time in Florence. Also, they are "true" outlets, not like the outlet malls in America, so at times there is not a lot of merchandise to choose from.

CAF Tours (www.caftours.com) offers transportation to the outlet malls. One trip goes to Prada and then on to The Mall (which has several outlets including Gucci, Fendi, YSL, Valentino and Armani), another goes to these plus Dolce & Gabbana. I was tentatively planning to do this on a recent trip to Florence but changed my mind and decided it wasn't worth the trip to me, given the amount of time I had to spend.

One trip goes to Prada and then on to The Mall (which has several outlets including Gucci, Fendi, YSL, Valentino and Armani), another goes to these plus Dolce & Gabbana. I was tentatively planning to do this on a recent trip to Florence but changed my mind and decided it wasn't worth the trip to me, given the amount of time I had to spend.

I'm trying to break it to hubby gently that seeing as we have a week in Tuscany, at least one morning or afternoon will be devoted to Gucci and Prada :)

If you have a week go...however be warned that although the items at the outlets are 100 genuine, they are NOT current. If you are looking for a purse you saw at home, you will not see it in the outlets....it will be there in a year or two. In Florence,at the regular stores, although our dollar is not strong, you save tax and Vat so that it does work out a bit cheaper...about 15-20 percent.Last summer, at Louis Vuitton in Copenhagen, the price of a purse my husband had bought me for mother's day was approximately $200 cheaper! Enjoy!

Karen

If you have a week go...however be warned that although the items at the outlets are 100 genuine, they are NOT current. If you are looking for a purse you saw at home, you will not see it in the outlets....it will be there in a year or two. In Florence,at the regular stores, although our dollar is not strong, you save tax and Vat so that it does work out a bit cheaper...about 15-20 percent.Last summer, at Louis Vuitton in Copenhagen, the price of a purse my husband had bought me for mother's day was approximately $200 cheaper! Enjoy!

Karen

I also have the advantage of the Canadian $$ which is doing way better than we're used to. I was buying it for 1.65 previously, it's not 1.44 :) I'm not worried about his years inventory, and I really don't need anymore Gucci, but I would like a prada bag or shoes. Can't wait for a week in Tuscany!

Please buyer beware!

Italian authorities are fining people around 3,000 euro's per item of "fake" designer goods.

Now you do the math of euro to US Dollar conversion. It is a very very stiff fine if you are caught with a fake designer item.

So when you go to the outlet stores "buyer beware". That bargin may not be a bargin after all.

Please buyer beware!

Italian authorities are fining people around 3,000 euro's per item of "fake" designer goods.

Now you do the math of euro to US Dollar conversion. It is a very very stiff fine if you are caught with a fake designer item.

So when you go to the outlet stores "buyer beware". That bargin may not be a bargin after all.

Not to worry. The goods at the outlet stores are real. It's people who are buying the fake designer bags, watches, etc. off the street for a few dollars that are rightly running into trouble with authorities.

Please buyer beware!

Definitely nothing to worry about, the outlet stores, are run by the original stores, ie. Gucci, Prada, it's their own outlet, no knock offs.

I am currently on the Freedom, and the general scoop on fakes is that it's ok to buy them in Florence and Barcelona-not illegal, but don't buy them in Rome and Venice-it's illegal and you'll be fined.

Florence I found so weird for fakes. Every other city was selling them on the street out of bags and blankets and would scatter when the cops came, but Florence, there was an actual stall set up at the San Lorenzo market with no attempt to cover them up. Very strange!!

Vendors were selling fake designer bags right out in the open near St. Mark's Square in Venice when we were there a couple weeks ago, both before and after our cruise. Thought that was strange and didn't see any "busts" either.

The only fake item I bought was a great looking pair of 'Prada' sunglasses which I bargained down to 8 Euros in Sicily! I am just too hard on sunglasses (and lose them all the time) to pay for the real thing!

Archived