Dancing Waiters

cwestbrook

On my earlier cruises, lonnnng ago, it was an interesting and fun thing to see. However, it was done on only ONE night in the dining room - which is plenty.

The waiters try so hard to please - and I'm sure (now that they have to do it every evening), they probably dread it as much as some of us who have seen it about a hundred times too often. I feel badly for them, especially the older waiters, who probably feel like fools.

They need to go back to the ONE night only 'performances'.

I sailed 2 years ago and the wait staff all sang the songs, danced, and were part of the entertainment each night

what cwestbrook is saying is that on the conquest, half of the waiters knew the songs, some of them just walked around or talked while the entertainment was going on, and there was no real entertainment. they just played a song on the sound system and the wait staff winged it for the next 3 mins.. it was NOWHERE near what i've seen or heard before

On my earlier cruises, lonnnng ago, it was an interesting and fun thing to see. However, it was done on only ONE night in the dining room - which is plenty.

The waiters try so hard to please - and I'm sure (now that they have to do it every evening), they probably dread it as much as some of us who have seen it about a hundred times too often. I feel badly for them, especially the older waiters, who probably feel like fools.

well said. they could even skip the one night for me.

Could do or do without the singing and dancing of waiters myself. Enjoy other cruise lines that don't do this ritual but have also chimed into the entertainment on Carnival as well when I've been in the mood.

As some have said before, some people like it, some don't. I've learned to turn myself off to it on nights when I didn't want to join in the fun. Some nights have been different.

Remember a cruise on the Legend back in January when our wait staff seemed to be a bit stiff in their manner when waiting on our table. Didn't seem like they were working together at all. Then we saw the two of them get into the music and dancing and saw their smiles as they sang and danced together. We complimented them on their singing and dancing skills and the rest of our dining time together with the dinning duo was a entirely different experience.

Dianne

I am one that personally looks forward to it, and it adds to my dining experience. I loved that the wait staff could balance things on their heads, dance, sing and do the conga line.. it was just a blast for me, but this last sailing lacked all of that, and had a wait staff that just could care less, which made it awkward and odd

We enjoy the wait staff singing and dancing and we love getting to know them personally! We just got off of the RCI ship Mariner of the Seas yesterday and they have the same thing, singing and dancing wait staff, kids coming through from adventure ocean marching, counting and yelling, and the waitstaff doing tricks at the tables. Lot's of napkin waving, people cheering and yelling just like all ships.We had a lot of fun, but were surprised as most everyone tells us that they don't do things like that on RCI ships, that they only do it on Carnival. They are wrong! They had wild deck parties too, just not nearly as fun or organized as Carnival. We still love Carnival over RCI and Holland America. Will be back on the Carnival Valor on July 8th! YEA!:)

They weren't that bad. Most don't have great English so I would think the songs would be hard.

They should practice though.

If ANYTHING was bad it was those Carnival dancers. cwestbrook and lashlock did you guys go to the Carnival Legends show:eek: those dancers were pretty off.

We were killing ourselves laughing. I was like "it's sad they have so many jobs on the ship they can't find time to practice" lmao:p

We think it's cute and it's fun and honestly I think it's a nice little break and a fun time for the waiters as well, they work so hard and so many hours they enjoy when their tables get up and dance with them, we always do, we have kept in touch with the one from our last cruise who put on all kinds of silly hats and pulled us up to dance, it was nice we thought, it brings something fun to the dinner.

new cruisers enjoy the dancing and singing because it is a new experence to them. most people on a cruise ship are newbies!!:)

i remember our first cruise and we really loved the singing and dancing:)

crystalblue.... i totally totally agree on the Carnival Dancers. None of them were on the same beats and were often off, so much that it distracted from the show. it seemed to get a bit better as the week went on, but if anyone out there has had any dance training, it was really frustrating to watch, and often just wasn't a good polished show. You could tell the shows themselves were good, but the dancers were distracting (does that make sense?)

I"m wondering if this is a brand new crew that we were all experiencing because there were so many kinks and problems

Well it allways looked like 99% of the people were having a good time when the waiters dance or sing. It only lasts around 3 or 4 min. Find something else to moan about.

On Destiny, it lasted a long time. We sat through the first night wondering when it was going to end. But, as I said earlier, it wasn't a big deal. We just left the next nights when it started. And, maybe it only lasted for 3 or 4 minutes the other nights.

Each to his own.

Karen in Kentucky

I enjoy the singing and dancing ok, but only second to what I am in the dining room for to begin with and that is eat. When we were on the Conquest , it seemed our waiter huffed if we ordered anything additional, extra appetizer or baked potato it was clear he was concerned about getting everything done in time for the entertainment to begin. On the Holiday when our waiter was not finished with the table next to us he did not join in with the entertainment until he was finished, and boy was he the best in my book.

Carnival,

If you are going to have the waiters dance and sing, teach them something. They are pretty much just winging it and it's not entertaining. I could have easily done without it.

i cld do w/o it happenning so much. but, i have to say, they are not bad IMO. in fact, their singing is pretty good (wonder if they practice?). maybe i have low expectations, LOL. but, are they totally untalented? no way.

now, the red, white and blue teams? if they went bye-bye, i wldn't miss 'em for a second!

LOL... I can do without it also.... The dining room is for nice relaxing evenings where your conversations with your friends can go unbothered by it all.... But I have to think that most people enjoy it, thats why they still do it.

I love the singing and dancing by the waiters!!! I honestly feel it is a huge part of my cruise enjoyment. What I can't understand is I have trouble remembering what I did yesterday and they remember every single thing that that pertains to their guests or tables. I think they are awesome!

Archived