Question for cruisers

My husband and I just signed up for a 10 day Sunfarer cruise on the Volendam to the Panana Canal (March 08). I understand that we just go through the first locks and turn around and come back. However, my question is: Do you need any shots (malaria, etc.) to do this trip? I don't see anything about it in the brochure. Can you see, I really like planning ahead!!!!!:)

I did this cruise a few years ago and no, we did not need any shots. If you want to play it safe, please see your nearest travel clinic and they can always tell you what you may need, if anything, for your upcoming trip.

Enjoy your cruise, its really a spectacular one and the Volendam is an even more spectacular ship with a wonderful crew.

You may find this a good resource, the CDC travel website. Of course, they recommend you have all standard immunizations. But if you scroll down to the required section you can see what you must have. (In this case, only yellow fever is required if you're going into certain areas of Mexico and Central America.)

Doone is correct regarding your cruise. No shots required. That is a very nice itinerary. You'll really enjoy seeing the canal "up close and personal." Quite an engineering marvel.

You don't need any specific shots or malaria pills (larium) for your cruise.

However - you might consider getting Hep A and Hep B shots which are good for 10 years - espcially if you are going to cruise a lot.

Yes - on your cruise you only go through the first set of locks. If you choose to do a tour once you get to Gatum Lake, then you won't be on the ship when it goes out of the locks.

Wev'e done this itinerary with Royal Carribean. Several interesting excursions. Had an aft balcony and it was great as you can see both sides at once. Highly recommend an aft for the canal if you can. You will enjoy it!! Have a great cruise!!!!

My husband and I just signed up for a 10 day Sunfarer cruise on the Volendam to the Panana Canal (March 08). I understand that we just go through the first locks and turn around and come back. However, my question is: Do you need any shots (malaria, etc.) to do this trip? I don't see anything about it in the brochure. Can you see, I really like planning ahead!!!!!:)

My friends an I are on the Volendam for the same itinerary but leaving on Dec.3rd and we can't wait! As for planning, don't worry, I think once you're hooked on cruising, it's the norm.....heck, I've been planning for over 4 months now.:)

Archived