No More Dry Cleaning

Seacruise

Something I have not seen on here but I learned while talking to the Environmental Officer on Statendam is there is no longer dry cleaning on board HAL ships. This is because HAL did not know where the company's that were taking the chenicals for disposal what in the end real;ly happened to them. This was really a problem on longer cruises with so many 3rd world country stops.

Mr Preston said they were now using a "wet" method of dry cleaning.

Phil

Sounds okay to me. I wouldn't want my dirty laundry fouling the oceans. As long as our clothes come back to us clean and pressed, I'll let them decide the best method. :)

We switched our "dry cleaning" service over to a "wet" cleaner a few years ago and have been really pleased with it. The clothes get just as clean if not cleaner and no chemical smell or irritation. It seems to be gentler on the clothes too. We love it.

I'm not being a wise guy, Mark....but are you serious? :)

No, sorry; sometimes I can't help myself. The very best canards sound plausible tho don't they?

DW says "Don't laugh; you only encourage him". :)

OPs info is good to know, but I've been up to my elbows in cleaning fluid so many times that if it was going to turn me into a toad...well.

Cheers

Mark

Thought I would do some research on this....

• Holland America Line is actively seeking to reduce both the quantity and toxicity of hazardous materials used on board. For example, perchloroethylene based dry cleaning machines are being replaced with soy, orange and banana oil based "wet cleaning" machines.
    (source: http://www.hollandamerica.com/about/environmental.do?env=additional )
  • Winning Brands Corporation announces that its Solvent Free Solutions Team (SST) has been chosen to outfit the new 2,044 passenger Signature Class ship "ms Eurodam" with a proprietary system of environmentally responsible "Wet Cleaning" for garments as an alternative to the traditional on-board "Dry Cleaning."
    (dated 2/9/2007)
    (source: http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070209/0213695.html)
  • Winning Brands Corporation announces that Holland America Line is expanding the use of the Winning Brands' Solvent Free Solutions Team to replace conventional Dry Cleaning systems on two more ships, the ms Volendam and ms Zaandam. The earlier conversion of Holland America Line's flagship ms Rotterdam and four of its other ships to a new garment cleaning technology by the same team entirely eliminated the use of toxic Dry Cleaning solvents.
    (dated 10/5/2006)
    (source: http://new.marketwire.com/2.0/rel.jsp?id=695575&sourceType=1 )

I don't know from wet cleaning but it sounds interesting.... Am going to have to learn more about this...

Holland America Line is actively seeking to reduce both the quantity and toxicity of hazardous materials used on board. For example, perchloroethylene based dry cleaning machines are being replaced with soy, orange and banana oil based "wet cleaning" machines.

PERFECT!!!

Now my clothes can eat as healthfully as we try to eat. :) :D

Ditto.

While I don't recall having had anything returned to me poorly done on the ships, I prefer to send my finer /more delicate clothing to my at home cleaners. I choose to have my regular cleaner do my silks and better knits etc

Archived